Pop Brixton (formerly Grow Brixton) Pope's Road development

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Noticed even the Evening Standard said that the money that Hunt and Boris are promising to hand out makes Corbyns Labour party seem fiscally responsible.

One possible good thing about Brexit is that it may reduce the obsession with entrepreneurs.

The State is going to have to step in if Brexit really happens. Step in big time to avoid disaster.

editor likes this.
  2. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I fear the opposite might come to be. In the shit times that lay ahead, every tax-dodging British millionaire businessman will be lauded and hailed as a shining example of what success Brits can achieve in the world thanks to their hard work, ingenuity and determination. Who needs the EU if people get on their bikes and work hard and all that...

Gramsci and editor like this.
  3. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Pop currently advertising themselves to the folk of Loughborough Junction.

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 09.59.15.jpg

4. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Oh dear...

5. editor

editor hiraethified

Another deserving local start-up given a chance thanks to Pop Brixton. Oh, wait....

2019-09-02_143159.jpg

BusLanes likes this.
  6. Ol Nick

Ol Nick beer in Brixton

Johnnie Walker I can take or leave but if they could get Tony Blackburn down...

editor likes this.
  7. editor

editor hiraethified

The Collective seem to be doing very nicely for themselves. Shame that they can't make Pop Brixton profitable when they're raking in hundreds of millions elsewhere.

Co-living: the end of urban loneliness – or cynical corporate dorms?

Gramsci likes this.
  8. editor

editor hiraethified

equationgirl and Gramsci like this.
  9. ricbake

ricbake working out how

equationgirl, Gramsci and editor like this.
  10. editor

editor hiraethified

Their report states that their operating costs are an eye watering £1.22 MILLION for a single year with an ADDITIONAL quarter of a million quid spent on marketing.

It's almost unfathomable that such a relatively small venue could accrue such sky-high costs. And why aren't the businesses promoting themselves?

11. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Mr Retro likes this.
  12. Gramsci

In Pops own report they are making a loss.

Pop Brixton's Fourth Birthday Annual Accounts | Pop Brixton

Given they got the land for free and a lot of support from the Council this isn't that great a success.

They are a meanwhlle project. If the Council hadn't extended the lease they would have been up shit creek.

I'm assuming Peckham levels finances are kept separate from Pop.

BusLanes, equationgirl and editor like this.
  13. editor

editor hiraethified

Damning piece on Pop fucking Brixton

And what I've been saying from day one:
    Cash-Strapped Councils and Gentrification: The Problem with POP Brixton

Gramsci and BakeRecords like this.
  14. editor

editor hiraethified

Interesting follow up from Vice

POP Brixton Is Yet to Make a Profit

15. Gramsci

I'm not a businessman but looks to me that Carl Turner is doing alright with Peckham Levels.

I don't understand how running a business with no profit to share with Lambeth Council is able to have bigger project with Southwark Council .

editor likes this.
  16. Gramsci

I pity journalists who have to deal with Lambeth communication team.

Bit like having to deal with senior officers.

"When I said this at previous meeting I didn't mean what it said I meant something else. Why are you being so hostile towards me."

BusLanes and editor like this.
  17. editor

editor hiraethified

18. Paul Hill

Paul Hill Think Hard!

I remember when the Markets wanted to use Pop Brixton site as a traders' car park. The plan showed very clearly that a traders' car park could easily earn £250,000 a year to the great advantage of both traders and Lambeth. So we got this stupid loser of a Pop Brixton instead. That was Lambeth Council trying hard to be businesslike. Pshaw!

19. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Does anyone know how much the Pop site generates in business rates?

20. editor

editor hiraethified

Word is that Makeshift's accounts are now 2 months late. Funny, that.

BusLanes likes this.
  21. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Not sure that "word is" is quite accurate - it appears to be a fact

Make shift Community Ltd? Company number 09709012?

next accounts were due 30 Sept 2019. So that is a £100 fine FWIW

Accounting year extended from 31 July 18 to 31 Dec 18 in Sept `18. Meaning no published accounts available for periods after July 2017

MAKE SHIFT COMMUNITY LTD - Filing history (free information from Companies House)

HTH

Ps someone with time on their hands may wish to pick apart the 27 page pdf detailing the outstanding charge that is also freely accessible from companies house website

BusLanes likes this.
  22. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The charge is a 27 page legal mystery to me.
    However the company which has issued the charge is registered in Jersey (where else?).
    https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-...ncome-fund-limited-ordina/company-information

So how did Lambeth Council get itself into providing a subsidised entertainment complex for the benefit of Hargreaves Lansdowne investors investing through Jersey? This is a scandal.

23. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

As it hasn't been mentioned for 5½ years on this thread, Carl Turner, the éminence grise of Pop Brixton first achieved notoriety in Brixton via Channel 4's Grand Designs, which featured his modernist machine for living in Lytham Road.

There is an article here
    or for connoisseurs of such things the TV programme is currently on recycle

Just for fun: much was made of Mr Turner's zero carbon aspirations and solar cell roof garden in the Lytham Road house
    solar roof 2.JPG
    Does anyone know if there are solar cells deployed at Pop Brixton?
    That upstairs communal area is baking hot in summer - but presumably that is just a greenhouse effect (for planting that never happened).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  24. editor

editor hiraethified

What a lovely man

Search Results for: carl turner