Pop Brixton (formerly Grow Brixton) Pope's Road development

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 27, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They got The Collective onboard who appear to be very successful in raking in millions. But not at Pop Brixton, curiously enough.

2. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

No, but apparently neither do Lambeth or pop.

Unless it means, “look at our edible bus stop, meanwhile we siphon off a load of cash in management charges”

Alex

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Exactly how would the Edible Bus Stop have 'siphoned' off money? :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Rent it out on commercial basis for a few years. Then invest that money in local area.

editor likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They could have given the land over to local market traders - like the ones who had been kicked out of the arches. Even though they're not the on-trend, entrepreneurial kind that Lambeth loves - or have the backing of Mayfair property developers - it would have taken real skill for them to post immense losses over a long, rent free period.

brixtonblade likes this.
  6. Gramsci

What should have happened is that when Pop lease was running out the Council should have gone out and consulted locals on giving a new lease. What they like / dislike about Pop. What should be written into any new agreement between Pop and Council.

What actually happened was Council turning up to a Brixton Neighborhood forum to tell local community Council had given Pop a new lease. Didn't go down well

7. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

It wouldn’t have - apols sarcasm came across badly.

Alex

editor likes this.
  8. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Same old scene with Lambeth Council: give business a reach-around, but kick the local communities up the arse.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Excellent analysis of the dubious housing strategy of Pop's stinking rich co-owners, The Collective.

The Collective is Not a New Way of Living – It’s an Old One, Commodified - Failed Architecture

Gramsci and Lucy Fur like this.
  10. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Gramsci likes this.
  11. Gramsci

Interesting article.

On the post war " welfare state" architecture:

Very much the ethos behind the design of the Brixton Rec. A reason why it got listed. It really should not take being listed to get the social agenda in the quote above (partially) protected.

Ive been at meetings about the Rec overlooking Pop. Thinking I don't want the Rec to end up like Pop.

editor likes this.
  12. Gramsci

Another thing. On sharing facilities as a good thing. Like it's new great idea.

I did this in 70s Plymouth. Most flats didn't have bathrooms. So we used the wash house at end the road. Which was Council run. And from what I remember good and clean.

I've mixed feelings on "communal facilities". In Plymouth the new Council housing with facilities in each flat was seen at time as step forward.

Chatting to my brother today. Like he said there were three flats in our house, in 70s in Plymouth, and we shared one toliet. Like he said that wasn't unusual then.

I got a new washing machine before Christmas. Cheaper and more convenient than Loughborough junction launderette. But I miss the chats I had in Launderette. And being in touch with the cross section of people who live in LJ.

So yes having all "mod cons" is improvement. But there is loss of collective life.

I do think however it's not something that should be returned to.

The Collective "communal" living isn't really progressive. People are paying a lot for a glorified bedsit.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    equationgirl likes this.
  13. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Ii had a look at the Collective's website to see what they offered - two options, either a studio or an ensuite room, both of which have access to kitchen, living space etc.

The studio was more expensive (£290 pw vs £245 iirc) but I couldn't actually work out what you got for that. Other than a slimline bank account.

Gramsci likes this.