1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop Brixton (formerly Grow Brixton) Pope's Road development

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 27, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm taking you off the thread now as it's clear you're only here to disrupt the discussion. Bye.

2. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

handbags - it's boring.

Mr Retro likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

All over now, thankfully. Does anyone know when Pop Brixton will be packing up its green oasis, by the way? Has their time been extended?

On a related note, I'm still fucking livid about the Canterbury Arms being demolished for no good reason as part of this general nu-Brixton fuckery.

4. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Tried going to Smoke and Salt the other day. Utterly rammed. Anyone know when you're most likely to get a table?

5. technical

technical stripey

We were nearby on Saturday lunchtime - was almost empty then

6. SpamMisery

I would have thought that was peak time! Weird.

7. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

T & P likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Lunchtime today

Repeated my experiment of wandering through whilst eating a baguette from Greggs. Third time now I have managed this without being thrown out by security.

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 17.06.24.jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 17.06.35.jpg

Winot likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've banned all dogs from the community green oasis now. There's a big sign on the door.

11. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

You can book online on their website - or try waiting - totally worth the wait if you love amazing food. Though their 'small plates' are more about great flavours , textures and smells rather than 'will fill you up' - so I don't think they will be seeing editor any time soon.

SpamMisery likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Although quite a few friends work there and there's some good stuff to be found, I don't like Pop Brixton or what it stands for, so you're quite correct: I won't be spending my money there. The Shoreditch/Clapham foodie experience isn't my thing.

Gramsci likes this.
  13. SpamMisery

Sounds great

14. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Had a chat with someone at brixton pound this morning, who was suggesting that some of the community time (one hour per week for all tenants) at Pop could well be used to help our playground venture down the road, where we are in search of free food etc. She seemed to think it a good fit, promised to send out the message, will wait and see if anything comes of it. Who knows, we might get asparagus ice cream making workshops for all.

CH1, Hrw199, Gramsci and 1 other person like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

When did this lot show up in Pop? They don't sound like much of a local start up.

16. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

We went there for dinner tonight. Lovely food, really nice guys running it. They were somewhat upset when they asked where I'd heard about them and I said on an anti pop thread on urban 75. Don't think they understood the background of pop

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    phillm and Angellic like this.
  17. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

They are lovely , passionate guys who care about what they do and the impact they have. I really hope they do as well as they deserve to do. They are garnering rave reviews all over the place now and rightly so. When they were over in an upstairs bar in Islington which didn't seem to be working for them I think I might have mentioned Pop Brixton as the sort of place that would work better for them.

Smoke & Salt, Brixton: small plates pack big, bright flavours

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes, Pop Brixton appears to be seen as the perfect place to park upwardly mobile - and not particularly affordable - trendy businesses with no previous connection to the area.

If only Lambeth hadn't spun a half ton of bullshit about this project at the start to dupe people into thinking it was all about offering a leg-up for locals rather than a 'business park for the 21st century."

Gramsci likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think the ire is generally aimed at the businesses operating there: it's more about what we were promised and what we got. I've certainly got no bad (or good) feelings towards this lot. They're just another hip business moving in.

Gramsci likes this.
  20. shakespearegirl

I think it is more than fair to be pissed off at the broken promises around Pop.
    I still want to welcome new businesses opening up in Brixton though. I'd much rather these were small independent businesses than giant chains.
    In my sad middle age years, I prefer to spend my disposable income on going out for a nice meal rather than going to a gig or spending a night in the pub. Doesn't make me a hipster or super trendy - I'm far from either.
    Some of these small businesses will hopefully give local employment opportunities.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

To be fair, almost anything on that site would have produced some local employment opportunities, although the actual return that Lambeth is getting for giving away the site for free is probably less than if they had just opened it up as a car park (which would have benefited local market traders more).

Of course, arch-capitalists Shoreditch property developers The Collective have done very nicely out of the deal. Very nicely indeed. Quite why they were involved in what was supposed to be a community-led project in the first place remains a mystery to me, mind.

Re: nice places to eat. I think we're pretty much full up on that score now but there's still plenty more incoming.

22. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Why sad? You're doing what you prefer to do. Although Oscar Wilde does come to mind.

editor likes this.
  23. shakespearegirl

So, now the site is Pop for the foreseeable future, how can the new businesses be encouraged to interact with and support the local area/residents.

Businesses should be proactive about it, but so should the local community. The Brixton community is changing, there is no doubt about that and I'm interested in how we can help with the engagement process - I've re-written that so many times to not sound like a wanker, but I probably still do..

Angellic, friendofdorothy and bimble like this.
  24. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Requests for help from us* for donations of food and or volunteer time from Pop have so far resulted in the offer of 10 pizzas (to be collected by us the day before our opening. so, cold pizzas? Still trying but :facepalm:

*(community volunteer group trying to save adventure playground down the road)

Gramsci and editor like this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The only interaction Buzz gets is people asking us to advertise/feature their services/events at Pop.

Quite a few have used the free facility to list their events for free in the calendar, but apart from that there's precious little of that 'reaching out' I hear about. Buzz has given dosh to at least one of the businesses there, mind, and I've done a couple of features.

Gramsci likes this.