1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop Brixton (formerly Grow Brixton) Pope's Road development

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Including people in the architectural profession I have talked to.

Turner is architect as petit bourgeois businessman. Not what architects I have talked to are impressed by.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    editor likes this.
  2. Gramsci

One of the things that supporters of Pop have said is that there will be a profit share between Council and Turner. Cllr Jacko has said profit share will go to other good works in the area.It was the justification for the rent free land.

I was always circumspect that this would happen in practise.

editor likes this.
  3. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Architecture as a profession is busily having to reinvent itself at the moment. It was rapidly taking a back seat to engineering and becoming just one element offered by multi disciplinary design companies. Architects are no more able to eschew the idea of being client focused businesses offering a broader range of services than any other profession.

Whilst there is room for high art and tiny niche specialties in architecture, only a small minority will ever earn from it. I don't imagine that many working architects would publicly describe CTA a petite bourgeois businessman as they'd be perfectly aware that they would be widely seen as pretentious, elitist and, ultimately, a bit chippy.

4. Gramsci

High art? Was I going on about high art?

A bit "chippy"?

Please. I get around a bit and talk to a wide range of people. I also talk to "working" architects.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    editor likes this.
  5. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

No point talking to architects who don't work

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why's that, then? They'll know a thousand times more about the profession than someone like you, yet here you are, piping up with a particularly stupid opinion.

Gramsci likes this.
  7. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

What exactly do you mean by "petit bourgeois businessman" though? It does sound a bit snooty to me.

8. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Lets have less of the personal attacks

9. Rushy

Fair enough. A bit chippy.

10. Gramsci

I was trying to be not to abusive. What I have heard said is he is an "arse" Is that less "snooty" for you?

11. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Gramsci and editor like this.
  12. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

3 months since anyone slagged pop off. I reckon that makes it proper Brixton now.

On the approved list ;)

alex_ likes this.
  13. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Its being slagged off in the Feb Brixton thread instead. ;)

14. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

...BUT NOT HERE....where it counts for big ol' beef bucks among the beef brigade

15. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I dunno... Fridgegate has been fairly intense at times, and all over the biggest non-issue ever.

16. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

It's still a shithole.

editor likes this.
  17. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

talk of the beef brigade and they shall appear

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Even the people who installed it think its current location is an issue, but there you go.

I haven't seen much slagging off of Pop anywhere recently: the entirely reasonable issue of the the location of the fridge was brought up and then the usual beef-laden types weighed in. Yawn.

19. Rushy

Mr Retro likes this.
  20. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I was under the impression they only thought it might be an issue after they received feedback from individuals not involved with the project or indeed likely to be using the service who simply thought it was a bad idea to have it at Pop. And then perhaps they were just being polite.

21. Rushy

It's clearly not their number one choice as their withdrawn application to locate it on the outer perimeter of Pop suggests. But its current location overcomes the immediate obstacles and allows them to get on with it without delay. It's just a fridge. They can unplug it and move it when they need/want to.

As for whether having it in the middle of a restaurant area is a strange juxtaposition - no I don't think so at all. They are quite clear that the target contributors are small food businesses which are not already involved in larger more formal redistribution schemes. They want to make it as easy as they can for them to contribute small amounts regularly. Being close and convenient is considered key to participation.

To be honest, if it works, I'd have thought Brixton could accommodate two or three of these.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  22. Gramsci

If this project demonstrates something it's that this is a shit society. In the midst of plenty some people don't have enough money to eat properly.

wurlycurly, editor and cuppa tee like this.
  23. soupdragon

soupdragon Well-Known Member

Good architecture is definitely haute bourgeois. ;)

wurlycurly likes this.
  24. blameless77

blameless77 Well-Known Member

Except that it's about reducing food waste, not feeding hungry people.

snowy_again likes this.
  25. blameless77

blameless77 Well-Known Member

(and yes, it is in the wrong place)

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

An update, if anyone is interested:

28. phillm

phillm don't bring back hanging

ddraig and CH1 like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Coming to Pop Brixton, the globe trotting Smoke And Salt restaurant.

"MODERN DINING | ANCIENT TECHNIQUES" ....and fucking ridiculously small portion sizes

[​IMG]

Smoke & Salt

30. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I've done a couple of 5/6 course taster menus in the past.....and they do fill you up.

I started the evening thinking 'I'm going home hungry tonight' but by the time dessert comes along I'm like 'enough now'