1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop Brixton (formerly Grow Brixton) Pope's Road development

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 27, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. choochi

choochi Well-Known Member

Both look impressive. Hope one comes to fruition. I like the second one personally. How long will the site be available before it is redeveloped?

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Eighteen months max.

5. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Dexter Deadwood likes this.
  7. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Looks great - should be another point of interest for Brixton as a tourist destination. All the people who have moved into the area will love it!
    (I'm sounding bitter today :D)

Manter, Onket and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  8. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

I like it and it's right on my doorstep.

boohoo likes this.
  9. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Everytime I see some trendy young person in my neck of the woods, I think they have accidently stayed on the 196, missing their Brixton stop- here's to wishful thinking and hoping they won't be all moving here anytime soon (although I've noticed an increase in joggers - early signs :( ).

10. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

That's the one I'd have chosen. Can only imagine they expect it to carry on for longer than 18months - can't see otherwise how it will properly get off the ground before it has to close.

11. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Who votes on the permanent use for the site and is there any way urban / we / residents can throw spanners into the likely developers' works?
    Just curious.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've heard from some of the people familiar with this process that it's far more likely to be something like 3 years than 18 months.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Their bid was all about local sustainability and involvement, but if tourists want to come along and gawk, I'm sure that will be fine too.

If a recent pub conversation is anything to go by, I might be getting involved with this.

14. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Dexter Deadwood likes this.
  15. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

16. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

It sounds good and I'm sure these organisations have used all the right words to plug into any available funding and will do wonderful things however we were fairly laid back when the Spacemakers arrived and look what happened there!:

http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/brixton-village-granville-arcade-indoor-market-brixton.237936/

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    madolesance and Tricky Skills like this.
  17. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

The Edible Bus Stop folk are decent. They did a great job in fighting their corner to keep a patch of land along Landor Road in public use.

Some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gramsci, editor and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  18. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Master Of Shambolics

19. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Tricky Skills I love what the edible bus stop has done in Landor Road. I'm not quite sure what is happening with their Norwood one but there it looks like lots of circular planting spaces are being created.

Tricky Skills likes this.
  20. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

I thought they were going to give some of that area to car parking for market/shop staff?

21. Crispy

I believe that's what the grey area is. You can see the vehicle access point behind the "music box"

[​IMG]

boohoo likes this.
  22. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks, that's good. The market federation have been fighting for car parking for a long time, glad Lambeth hasn't gone back its word. I love the plans, and have already signed up to do something there. Its exciting. And the team are VERY committed to ensuring that local projects/traders, etc take priority over 'outsiders'.

boohoo likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Entirely reasonable fears, although I don't think this project is really directly comparable with the Village.

I had a good chat with some of the people involved in the Edible Bus Stop and was rather encouraged.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

26. Crispy

Latest banner on the fence reads
    "Public Carpark Coming December 2014"

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I took a pic of that a while ago and was going to write up about it but haven't found any more detail.

28. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

I got an email asking for anyone interested in office space. I registered interest have not heard anything back yet - must have been 2-3 months ago.

29. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Is Grow actually happening?

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

As far as I know and it's going to be there for up to 5 years.

leanderman likes this.