Polluted city

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by BigMoaner, Jul 5, 2016.

1. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

Londoners, does it worry you?

We live probably 30 meters from a road that has approx 10k of vehicles travel it a day.

Getting worried now, might move because of it. Why we didn't think of it before we moved here, I don't know!

But then the rational part of my mind is surely the risks are minimal? We live in teh suburbs so overall pollution in the air is probably less, the buildings are all lower, etc.

reading horror stories of childrne with underdeveloped lungs (daughter's school is on another busy road).

Worrying for nothing? Risks small. Wading through all the data is confusing. According to kings college website, air in the area is rated low. Who to trust.

Are we ruining our healths staying in this city?

2. boohoo

boohoo No.

Greebo and BigMoaner like this.
  3. BigMoaner

They reckon 300meters is the affected zone :(. We're all fucked lol

4. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

London is the most polluted place in the country, but it's still "low"

[​IMG]

5. boohoo

boohoo No.

:( Still fresher up the hill. I don't use a car. It would be useful to discourage car ownership. Make buses more buggy friendly. Create jobs locally. Why does everyone need to work in central London?

Greebo, muscovyduck and BigMoaner like this.
  6. BigMoaner

Exactly. Wtf?

Greebo and boohoo like this.
  7. BigMoaner

In response tonfez

8. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Historically it must be at a low. They used to have coal power stations in city centres!

NoXion and Greebo like this.
  9. BigMoaner

Telling people not to use cars is like telling the tide not to come in. Sadly. I think making the cleaner isbthe only way around it

boohoo likes this.
  10. BigMoaner

Were they dirty bastards?

11. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Greebo likes this.
  12. BigMoaner

13. BigMoaner

Family pack of face marsks #paranoid

14. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Greebo likes this.
  15. mauvais

16. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Pointless - they'll still let in NO and the microparticulates which are the biggest hazards.

The best way of protecting you and your family is to avoid using cars - the air pollution inside one is just as bad as outside it, but you're not even flushing it out of your lungs more effciently by dint of getting gentle exercise (as cyclists and joggers do).

And what boohoo said about moving uphill - I can feel the difference in air quality between where I am and central Brixton - it's even more scarily noticeable between the top of this hill and the dip in Streatham High Road.

17. mauvais

I believe cabin filters are fine enough to catch particulates, though I may be wrong, so I think this is not the case.

18. BigMoaner

read that it kills twice as many as road accidents....

...which actually is quite low, if you think about it. i can't think of a single person i know who has been killed in a crash, for example.

19. Greebo

Particulates, perhaps - pollen, ordinary dust, barbecue smoke. Not AFAIK microparticulates (the stuff in diesel exhaust), which are far far smaller. They're the ones which get deep into your lungs and stay there. :(

20. BigMoaner

make the test harder.

stop car finance.

or somethign.

21. BigMoaner

build another london.

put those who want to drive and pollute themselves there.

the rest can live in the pedestrian London.

i'lll write to my MP, but doubt anything will come of it. lazy cunts.

Celyn, boohoo and muscovyduck like this.
  22. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Khan is hoping to tackle central pollution with a further £10 congestion charge

Looking at that map you realise the congestion charge needs to be rolled out across London and for the buses to be cleaned up pronto.

Greebo likes this.
  23. mauvais

24. BigMoaner

whilst i don't trust the car lobby twats, i am not sure i trust the ranting environmentalists either. i am choosing the kings website and the council for my data. both declared the busy road i live beside high in No2 but low in particle shit.

25. BigMoaner

i know their are a few pollution experts on here - i am 60 meters from a busy road, and there's a lot of greenery just behind the houses.

does the N02 rate drop significantly in a mater of metres?

26. Greebo

27. mauvais

Which would be important if a "pollen filter" was designed so that it caught pollen and nothing else, but that's apparently not the case.

28. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

29. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

I've been commuting by bicycle for years and have never really noticed the pollution TBH. Probably just used to it.
    I once made the mistake of cycling through the Rotherhithe Tunnel and the pollution in there made me feel ill.

30. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

Air pollution causes about 40,000 early deaths a year. Accidents result in around 3,000 deaths every year.

Greebo likes this.