Political polling

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by brogdale, Mar 6, 2013.

1. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Today's YouGov:-

CON 29% (31), LAB 42% (40), LD 11% (12), UKIP 12% (12); Govt app -40

Fieldwork 4th & 5th March.

Mods, might it be a good idea to sticky a poll thread for the run in to 2015? Just a thought.

2. brogdale

Spanky Longhorn likes this.
  3. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

I guess TV companies are already thinking about which of the redundant Lib Dem MPs they'll be able to use as anchors for documentary series following their almost-total clear-out at the 2015 election. Any obvious candidates?

4. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Huhne? Lembit?

5. brogdale

LD MP Simon Wright, (Norwich South), will be free to take on media work if there is just a 0.32% swing to Labour. That's got to be a pretty good bet, thopugh whether or not he'd be any good on the TV I don't know? I can't recall ever seeing/hearing him speak on the media.

[​IMG]

The MP is second from the right.

6. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Neither of them are mps now mind.

7. brogdale

Not forgetting David 'oy vey, my life already' Ward in Bradford East. He'll be available for media work with just a 0.45% swing to Labour. Though whether or not they'd want him is another matter.

SpackleFrog and frogwoman like this.
  8. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Apparently Clegg likes walking in the Peak District, I'm sure one of the regional TV companies will pick him up for one of those gentle series that they put up against the mid-evening soap operas, safe in the knowledge they'll always get shit viewing figures anyway.

9. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I realised this immediately after posting. I suspect Huhne will just go and get some directorships now and maybe after-dinner gigs, but Lembit's always been hungry for publicity.

10. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

unfortunately i think we all know he's going to do ok for himself

SpackleFrog, Firky, Nylock and 3 others like this.
  11. brogdale

More polling from the bent Belize banksta:-

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2013/0...that-will-decide-the-next-election/#more-2052

Just how much money did he make from all that laundering for him to single-handedly keep the pollster industry afloat?

Anyway, here's the main thrust:-

and, of course, the obligatory...

12. shagnasty

shagnasty two legs bad four legs good R.I.P.

brogdale likes this.
  13. brogdale

shagnasty likes this.
  14. brogdale

Tonight's Guardian/ICM:-

This month’s ICM poll for the Guardian has voting intention figures of:-

CON 31%(+2), LAB 39%(-2), LDEM 15%(+2), UKIP 7%(-2).

shagnasty and Spanky Longhorn like this.
  15. brogdale

16. brogdale

Stickied...for the run in to 2015?

17. aha a mod would have to notice the thread first you're best off pming one

18. shagnasty

shagnasty two legs bad four legs good R.I.P.

19. brogdale

"YouGov’s daily polling for the Sun this morning has topline figures of:

CON 30%, LAB 40%, LDEM 12%, UKIP 13%.

While we have seen much higher from other online companies, it is the highest UKIP score that YouGov have shown so far. All the usual caveats apply: one should never get too excited about a record breaking score as it will almost always be a bit of an outlier. What counts is the underlying trend, and these figures underline the ongoing increase in UKIP support, and indeed the recent modest recovery in YouGov’s Lib Dem support."

shagnasty and frogwoman like this.
  20. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

You don't want your thread stickied. No one will ever click on it again.

I'm not entirely sure I see the point of this thread, when it is essentially the same information as gets posted regularly on "Lib Dems: how low can they go". It would be a shame to see that one sink if this one took off, tbh.

21. :D true

Nah that's one of those long threads lots of people who haven't contributed to will never look at - it's good to have a specific polls thread and that one for different reasons

ymu likes this.
  22. ymu

Fair point. But there's a lot of discussion on it of some of the technical sides of polling (eg why ICM is so consistently high for the LDs). It's a lot of duplicated effort, and you never get the LD figures posted on it without the rest of them anyway. It's just a more amusing and poster-attracting title for the same thing.

23. brogdale

Oh, OK; I'm a relative newb so I'm not up with the custom and practice here yet.

Fair enough, but I still think a specific polling thread will be quite useful over the next 25 months.

24. ymu

I don't disagree, and I'm not intending to diss your thread. It's just that I would head to the LD thread to post up a poll result I wanted to share, which is maybe why I've only just seen this one. I don't think people want to post the same stuff on two threads, that's all.

25. 8115

8115 Macaroni straws.

I like having a polling thread. It's not really just for the lib dems, although obviously if their numbers are on the floor that's always a bonus.

Firky, shagnasty and brogdale like this.
  26. brogdale

Yeah, I don't think it's a big issue; people will, of course, post specific poll findings about the parties in the respective Lab, Lib, UKIP are shite threads, but as the frequency of polling increases with proximity to the GE I think a general thread will get used.:)

27. Also it could be used for the county councils this year, and Euros and London boroughs next year

brogdale likes this.
  28. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

He has what I believe is known as a good face for radio (sorry Simon...)

29. ymu

That's my point really. There is no such thing as a party-specific poll. The "LDs, how low can they go" thread is not the "why the LDs are shit" thread. It contains precisely the same sort of information as this one, and has a lot of useful technical discussion on polling which need not be duplicated.

I don't care either way. I just think that one thread will sink and one thread will swim.