Police punching people in the face

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by fractionMan, Dec 2, 2010.

1. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Yes, I agree with you, it is usually the way of things that the "crowd kick off in some way, police respond is the repeated sequence of events".
    However, I'll hasten to add that there has generally been an asymmetry between the "kicking off" of the crowd (chants, pushing, verbals) and the response of the police (use of force, escalation of force).
    Deny it as you like, it's a formula as old as modern policing.

2. ViolentPanda

Probably used standard procurement methods and bought in from the cheapest bunch of cowboys who met the spec. This is why squaddies buy in non-issue kit. At least you don't get saddled with crap.

3. ViolentPanda

Probably got the wearers feeling all paramilitary. Some of them may even have gone out and bought black balaclavas for when they serviced the mrs. :p

4. detective-boy

detective-boy Banned Banned

I have previously posted that I believe the police (and we (i.e. society, the media)) should tolerate some minor level of disorder / pushing and shoving, even minor assaults on police officers in the cause of facilitating freedom of speech and protest.

I consider there to have been an overreaction (and the premature use of preventative tactics) last week, largely driven by the political and media pressure after Millbank and the fuckwitted response and comments of an incompetent Commissioner.

5. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie You fooled all the people with magic

lol

6. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

So police have not misusef their powers with respect to photographers? Is that what your saying?

7. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

You've not covered yourself in glory.

8. detective-boy

detective-boy Banned Banned

No.

I'm not saying anything about the police use of fucking powers in respect of photographers. I'm simply pointing out that The fucking Register is printing inaccurate shite. :mad:

9. Andrew Hertford

Andrew Hertford Chocolate Jesus

'nul points' is my response to the pathetic insult at the start of your post, hardly conducive to giving the rest of what you say a considered response is it?

But for what it's worth, I've been on countless demos over the years and in my experience there's invariably a small group of police and protesters who are actually there looking for a fight, and they're almost all exclusively male. That may not have been your experience but it's certainly been mine.

10. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie You fooled all the people with magic

lol

11. Andrew Hertford

Andrew Hertford Chocolate Jesus

That has to be the nastiest thing I've ever read on u75.

And who are "we"?

12. silverfish

silverfish Sprinkling glitter on turds

Nice, society would function much better with sick fuckwits like you at the helm...:mad:

13. longdog

longdog What is it you can't face?

Here we go with the half truths again.

The 'specific case' was the subject of the Register article about plod taking upon him or herself powers they do not have not one that had been picked out of thin air.

Did you bother to read cat107's link?

14. longdog

So the whole thing never happened in Detective Boy Land.

Never mind the abuse of power, I'll quibble over a number.

15. Stoat Boy

Stoat Boy Banned Banned

LOL. Surely if you really want to change something then being ready for 'aggro' is one of the main ways of making that happen ?

All I see here is a group of people intent on committing violence (which seems to be backed up by the photographer on here) coming into conflict with the people employed by the state to meet that violence. Everybody seems to be doing what they set out to do.

To try and portray the protesters as victims for me takes away from what they went out to achieve. It makes them seem passive and powerless.

Now you might not like them, not agree with what they are trying to achieve, but they aint victims in anyway, shape or form.

You want to change things then you need to confront. You need to be willing to make a noise, be willing to fight back against the establishment, be ready to confront those employed by the State to impose law and order. And if you get a smack back then you roll with the punch and learn from it. Otherwise what is the point of it all ?

Politics ultimately comes down to be willing to 'fight' for what you believe in. Everything else is just the froth on top. Personally I think its good we are seeing some real fight back in people. You slate me for being a Tory but the truth is that I am more of a revolutionary then the vast majority of you lefties on here who strike me as moaney, whiney bitches who would not actually be willing to really put themselves on the firing line should the opporunity arise.

Me, I loathe the Welfare state and see it as weakening our collective resolve. But if you think I am so so wrong why are you not willing to defend it like those kids ?

16. longdog

Well I'm deeply sorry to be weakening collective resolve.

I'll sign off Incapacity Benefit tomorrow and go and live on the streets if it'll make you happy.

Tosser.

17. longdog

Here's another 'isolated case' of Kent Police abusing their anti-terrorist powers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7520598.stm

18. longdog

Kent police at it again.

19. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Yvonne Fletcher who was shot outside the Libyan embassy? Did you cheer when she was shot?

20. longdog

More from The Register.

Essex filth this time.

21. ViolentPanda

To be fair, society would function better still without fuckwits like Clegg and Cameron at the helm.

22. ViolentPanda

Are you really that naive?
    You must be seeing different protests to the ones that have been shown on tv. The only people "intent on committing violence" have been the police. My position is reflected and reinforced by the extremely low final arrest and charge rates of demonstrators.
    Have you been drinking?
    I haven't said that "the protesters are victims", Norbert. I've said that they're not the ones looking for aggro. They're looking to get their message across, not fight.
    So, it's perfectly reasonable for a protester to be thumped because they're protesting and so should expect a thumping?
    You knobber.
    You haven't got the slightest idea about tactics and strategy, have you?
    I agree.
    I suspect we differ on what the word "fight" means. You seem to believe it just means physical combat.
    You're not revolutionary. Most of your political ideas are decades or centuries old. You're a reactionary.

I''ve been taking my lumps for what I believe in for the last 35 years. I'm entirely willing to defend what I believe in. Can you honestly say the same?

23. ViolentPanda

He doesn't even elaborate as to our what our collective resolve is for/against.

Probably because he's a tosser.

24. The Black Hand

The Black Hand Unclean

THankyou Mr DB, I realise how hard that must have been.

25. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

you are anti statist and anti taxation. That is not revolutionary it is just petite bourgeois dissidence driven by failure to sit at the big boys table.

26. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

It seems ott but did'nt see what led up to it.
    there was a case where a protestor repeatidly headbutted a riot shield and put themselves in hospital even I would'nt belive that excuse but it was caught on film:eek:

27. revlon

revlon Well-Known Member

there's a fine line (or unbridgeable chasm) between following procedure and acting within the law. One reason smellie got away with it was because his baton strike was classic text book - therefore within the law.

So we have this odd stand off in public order training where coppers are taught to act in a certain way, rather than legal training where coppers are taught to act lawfully. This allows coked-up bully boys to act on a whim and know it will be defended in court by some lawyer or other.

It's not the job of the tsg to know what law they are acting under it is their job to hit people the right way.

Ironically copper in video was doing it the very wrong way. And he knew it.

28. GuerillaPhoto

GuerillaPhoto Well-Known Member

there seem to be a misconception that the people clashing with the Police had anything to do with the protest, many of them did not and just joined on as something to do and as an excuse to have a go at Police. HOWEVER there were some people who started off being nice towards Police but were wound up by being unnecessarily charged, beaten and pushed/ punched etc... by Police. Even myself who was there to document as well as support the protests, ended up calling the Police who assaulted me "Cunts" and "Fucking Arseholes" this was due to being provoked though. I was not there to cause harm, trouble or be abusive but I was pushed past my tolerances level as were many of the attendants by the bully boy tactics of the Police (well some of them not all).

29. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

the ideal situation would be the lairy coppers or squaddies and the social handgrenades and the twat who thinks chucking bottles or fire extinugshers is going to help find a field and have at each other.
    while everybody else gets on with protesting policing said protest

30. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

you're not a revolutionary, you're a very naughty boy.