1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Police and UKBA to ransack Brixton (Thursday 6th March)

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by DrRingDing, Mar 5, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The community event in Windrush Square - which is supposed to be going on for another hour - is a total washout

Greebo and Pickman's model like this.
  3. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

His cod Jamaican accent?

4. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

Ah yeah, button showed me that pic earlier on twitter. Apparently the OB have just tried to arrest Lee Jasper outside the station now :D

5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Both me and Lee Jasper enjoyed some of the vegetable curry - though Lee ate his mounted on his bicycle, which my mother would have considered rude.

Dexter Deadwood, Greebo and shygirl like this.
  6. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

They're really pissed with him cos of his blog.

7. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I find the comment by Lee Jasper , on his blog, offensive:

As a long standing resident of central Brixton I have dealt with noise problems over the years. Race has nothing to do with it.

If Brixton is to remain a mixed business/ residential area issues of noise from shops/ night clubs are a legitimate issue to be addressed by residents.

Lee Jasper does not live in Brixton. He has not got a clue about Brixton imo.

muscovyduck, Greebo and oryx like this.
  8. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

Are you sure? I was talking to Blacka Dread one time and he told me about how he and a group of friends went to pay an unexpected 'call' on Lee Jasper over some issue regarding Brixton which had annoyed them. I'm sure Blacka said he lived in an ordinary house in one of those streets round by the Ritzy. Anyway, Blacka said he came away well impressed by the man.

And one time Lee Jasper got some money out of the GLC for Brixton and there was loads of propaganda in the Evening Standard about corruption and suchlike but it all went into a proper set up business which required at least two signatures to get any money out. They offered Lee Jasper a bit of a kick-back for getting the money but he refused to accept anything.

Dexter Deadwood, Greebo and shygirl like this.
  9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

A couple of things Sirena
    1. Last time I checked Lee lived in Atherfold Road - which to my mind counts as Clapham North.
    2. Lee has certainly been done over by the press, but he courts publicity. I am not sure what you mean by saying that if an account required 2 signatures to withdraw money, therefore that money cannot be misapplied.In case anyone is interested here is a résumé on the scandal from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2008/03/11/tim_donovan_jasper_feature.shtml

Greebo, Sirena and Thimble Queen like this.
  10. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

So the police listened to the local community and changed the plan to accommodate but everyone's still annoyed?

11. Gramsci

To clarify.

Brixton is and always has been a mixed area. Portugese, Latin Americans, North Africans, Afro- Caribbeans and Asians. That is not exhaustive list.

I’m sure Lee Jasper is very good at sticking up for his own community. That does not mean he has a great understanding of a complex area like Brixton.

The Evening Standard attacks on him , imo, were politically motivated. I am not interested in that kind of personalised attack.

My problem with Lee Jasper is that I find his kind of politics which foregrounds race before anything else divisive.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  12. Gramsci

I was around Brixton this afternoon. Lots of cops around. Wandering about with florescent jackets on so u could see the a mile off. Good idea if u want to keep clear of them. Also saw what I assumed to be Council officials armed with clipboards walking about. Trying to look important.

Went to Ritzy. So had a look at the surreal events on Windrush square.

Not sure what lost cats and dogs have got to do with policing.

Didn’t feel like hanging around the square with so many cops about. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

I am at a loss what the point of this whole exercise was supposed to do.

If there are concerns about lack of police its one of the things that the Council just has cut. That is funding for Community Support officers. Also the Park Rangers were axed a while back.

This operation was timed just after swinging cuts to public services, including policing.

I didn’t see the cops do any stop and search. So not the same as "Operation Swamp" back just before first Brixton riot. Which I remember. I was stopped and searched. Operation Swamp was very heavy handed and went on for several days not just one.

Brixton Hatter, Greebo and shygirl like this.
  13. Gramsci

Thanks for doing this shygirl. Sterling effort.

I am really glad UKBA were not involved. Its totally insensitive , in a multicultural area like Brixton, to send in these thugs.

I do not care a toss about peoples immigration status.

14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I think it was supposed to be a community event showing the police in a friendly approachable light.
    As I said earlier in the thread the publicity was poorly produced, barely distributed and gave a mixed message, suggesting that this was some type of operation - which is what Lee Jasper & co picked up on.

That said something certainly did seem to be going on at the tube station - though I couldn't see what it was, when I went to top up my Oyster card about 4.30 pm. Several visibility jacketed police were at the top of the escalators and by the ticket barriers, holding up the flow of passengers.

I did not actually see dogs - despite the cardboard warning notices being waved by demonstrators outside the tube. The demonstrators (none of whom were black) looked like the anti- Champagne and Fromage set. They were actually causing an obstruction at the tube entrance, so no doubt the police moved them on in due course.

Greebo and Gramsci like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There was a mix of people voicing their displeasure at the tube operation. When I was there, Lee Jasper was mixing it up with the pointless cops.

It was a PR disaster all round, even more so for the cops given today's front page of the Standard. I wonder how much this all cost?

16. shygirl

I didn't get the evening standard, could someone post yesterday's front cover please?

Greebo likes this.
  17. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

headline was "How the Met spied on Stephen Lawrence's parents"

Greebo and Gramsci like this.
  18. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Yes I'm fortunately free from seeing that too and can't see anything online, so a picture would be kind...

I avoided the tube, but saw a fair few uniforms issuing tickets / notices / cautions around the beehive, but also looking after a well dressed elder bloke who looked a bit worse for wear. All the music cabins on Atlantic Road were closed. A steam of young well dressed kids were coming from the tube, and I assume going to Mass for A3 or something else?

19. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

Story on standard website here

front page just visible in editor's photo in post 61

Greebo, Gramsci and snowy_again like this.
  20. shygirl

Thanks Puddy_Tat

Greebo likes this.
  21. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Sounds fishy to me. ;)

Greebo, Puddy_Tat and Libertad like this.
  22. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Greebo likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

24. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

25. shygirl

Listen, whatever people say about Lee, were it not for him, awareness of yesterday's events would have been very limited. He has his 'constituency' (for want of a better term) and he fights for it. Yes, he's a politician, he can be divisive, not everyone will agree with his analysis, and he's very good at self-promotion, but baby and bathwater come to mind. Lee is very astute, an excellent speaker and negotiator in meetings and, in spite of all the criticisms, he does much to keep injustices against the Black community in the fore.

26. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

You might have seen the Channel 4 news report last night.

http://bcove.me/4772d9yj

Something seemed a bit off about it. It turns out that the reporter, Jordan Jarrett-Bryan, merely interviewed a gaggle of his friends/colleagues, and passed this off as a reflection of the view of Brixton at large. It's difficult enough to find any accurate and non-superficial reporting on Brixton, and this sort of nonsense doesn't help. I sent the email below to Jackie Long, Social Affairs Editor and presenter. I wonder what she will say.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Jackie Long

I’ve lived in central Brixton for 30 years, and so I watched Jordan Jarrett-Bryan’s report last night with interest. But as he developed his case, I became puzzled by the seeming uniformity of his vox pop respondents’ views. Because, the thing is, it’s pretty much impossible to find anyone in Brixton who shares an opinion with anyone else.

So I looked into the backgrounds of the interviewees.

Naomi Brown was credited on screen as Youth Development Mentor at advertising agency Levity

Matthew Peltier. No affiliation was disclosed in the report. LinkedIn reveals that he is Senior Producer at Levity

Beulah Lambert. No affiliation was disclosed in the report. Linkedin reveals that she is Account Manager at Livity

Henry Houdini. No affiliation was disclosed in the report. Linkedin reveals that he is Junior Assistant Producer at Livity

Jarrett-Brown signs off: "I found little hope of change here…” But he does not reflect the views of the Brixton at large - rather the party line of staff at advertising agency Livity. By the way, Jarrett-Brown used to work at Livity and later, when he went freelance, he rented office space there. So what we really saw last night was actually a choreographed performance by a clique of Jarrett-Brown’s friends and colleagues. There was one independent interviewee; inevitably it was Lee Jasper.

This is terribly shoddy journalism.

What do you think ?

Regards

Urbanspaceman

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Tankus, copliker, katie_m and 34 others like this.
  27. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I think he gets into a state about things and he single handedly cranked up the situation yesterday. He should go on a self-awareness course.

Greebo likes this.
  28. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

should have complained to channel 4 too.

29. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

30. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

I sent that message to the Channel 4 newsroom

Kevs, MellySingsDoom, cesare and 3 others like this.