Pocket sized drone Fairy offers 1080P/30fps, 8MP images and 16mins flying time

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, May 21, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

100% Would crash.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

not to mention there's a lack of ordnance there

gentlegreen and Badgers like this.
  4. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Space/time supply indicators near to zero

after some finding places inaccessable during my recent urbex hjaunt, i have gone for one of these just to see how it goes- the kids are well excited

spitfire, Pickman's model and editor like this.
  5. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

The GIFs look nice, but their own "real footage" video looks horrendous! Out of focus and it doesn't look like it has any stabilisation at all

Fez909 likes this.
  6. salem

salem Well-Known Member

I wouldn't touch a drone Kickstarter with a 100 foot bargepole. They seem to be a rich seam of vapourwear.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  7. gentlegreen

gentlegreen "grade A liberal mug"

So the selfie stick is out of fashion and now everyone will have a drone following them around documenting their every move ? :hmm:

Opera Buffa and Badgers like this.
  8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

[​IMG]

9. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

The picture quality is good enough for checking the guttering and the roof, the only real world reason I'd want one, although not sure one that size would hack being up that high unless there was no wind at all.

10. cybershot

There's a troubling trend of people recording themselves watching football games. And talking about every moment in the game, whilst talking into their phone. I'd want to smash anyone up that was sat next to me doing this.

<Kid wasn't even a Coventry fan

11. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I'm reasonably sure wind and perhaps even a gently breeze might be issues with this device for sure. Or at the very least people should not expect the sort of rock-steady super-smooth footage that we've been treated to in the drone era.

salem likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What the heck is with all those stupid faces she's pulling?!

a_chap likes this.
  13. salem

salem Well-Known Member

That was the premise of the Lily Drone, a kickstarter funded drone camera which surprise surprise never worked and ended up as another project that went pop with a load of lost money following.

gentlegreen likes this.
  14. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

It's nifty and all that, but having seen some of the injuries that take place I think drones with unshrouded rotors should be banned from sale. It's not just to protect your drone, rotors that accidentally bite into tree limbs and whatnot can shatter and send high speed plastic shards a surprising distance. Or send the drone itself spinning madly out of control.

I still get the chills when I remember seeing the newscast on this:
    Toddler's eye sliced in half by drone

Badgers likes this.
  15. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

And there are some tough laws in place to protect people. I guess a few high profile prosecutions will slow or burst any bubble. I think this is the main stumbling block for domestic drones, gonna be illegal anywhere except home.

Badgers likes this.
  16. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Good, only see them occasionally in the park or beach or whatever and they're a fucking nuisance and invasive.

I really don't want to see them get more widespread.

Radiatori and Badgers like this.
  17. Sea Star

Sea Star ...

not going out without Goggles on now :(

Badgers likes this.
  18. cybershot

Cpatain Rbubish, Badgers and editor like this.
  19. cybershot

20. spitfire

spitfire Toast

cybershot, Badgers and editor like this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Look forward to seeing the results!

cybershot and spitfire like this.
  22. spitfire

spitfire Toast

It's a neat little thing, I had a quick go and it's good fun. Managed to fuck up the video recording so nothing to show but it comes through really clearly on the iphone.

It does NOT like the wind though.

Badgers likes this.
  23. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I'd be intrested to see the results as well. One of my clients had one of the small Dji ones (spark I think) at the crag the other day videoing the schools climbing club. Pretty cool, but they are noisy buggers. Totally out of my price range though. :(

Badgers and spitfire like this.
  24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

For some reason I have one of these too :facepalm:

Need to read the instructions apparently?

25. spitfire

spitfire Toast

RTFM. Absolutely, assuming your Chinglish is up to scratch. Suggest starting in a space without too many hard objects or you may need the spare propellors sooner than you think.

I speak from many, many seconds of experience, possibly even 120 seconds.

Libertad and Badgers like this.