Plymouth - Shithole Of The South West

Discussion in 'Bristol and South West' started by Bakunin, May 18, 2009.

1. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

Mannamead is posh indeed! I would avoid Bere Ferrers because pretty as it is, as toggle says it's a pain in the arse to get to, even though you can see Plymouth just across the river! V frustrating. Actually because of geography, there are lots of areas around Plymouth that are quite tricky to get to. See also Turnchapel and anywhere near Mount Edgcumbe and Torpoint, unless you're happy to rely on a ferry all the time.

Plymouth is spreading north and east at speed, and many of those areas are new and quite soulless. But probably quite safe.

If you wanted the sticks, some of the areas around Yelverton are nice but close enough to be an easy commute. I have a soft spot for Tavi but it's a bit of a trek, especially in the winter when it snows on the moors.

I reckon Mutley and Stoke are the best, but if I could afford to live on the Barbican I probably would.

Best of luck!!!

Voley likes this.
  2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Mutley's full of students though, is it not?

3. Poot

Well, yeah. There are students, but they actually limit the numbers of HMOs on any street around Mutley. Also they've built thousands upon thousands of student flats in the city centre recently, so it's probably less popular with students than it used to be.

4. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Thanks Poot. I'm surprised it's that affordable then if it's the posh bit. £450pcm for a one bed flat with a garden on rightmove atm. Looks like it needs a bit of work to be made homely / bit of sprucing up in the garden and whatnot but price is about the same for round here.

Badgers likes this.
  5. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

6. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Ivybridge is nice and you've got trains into Plymouth from there.

Voley likes this.
  7. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

i think the country as a whole is getting shitter.

i think we will really start noticing the effects of our retail markets moving online and the dominance of the giant out of town malls/supermakets.

drab, run down, london centric, with hairdressers, bargin shops, fast food and metro type shops - i think this is the future as more and more of our money is spent online.

8. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

9. Voley

Ah well. The job I applied for has been withdrawn. We're having a fairly major reorganisation atm so I had an inkling this might happen. So I shan't be joining any of you in The Nowhere any time soon. Pity. I was rather warming to the idea. This reorganisation might throw up some other jobs up your way though so I'm not entirely writing the idea off.

Badgers likes this.
  10. Poot

Booooooooooo!!!! :(

11. Voley

Thing is, Poot, now that I'd got it into my head that living up there might be for me, I've started looking at other jobs going up there. The opportunities aren't *cough* hugely diverse but they're shitloads better than down here. So you never know. That bit by the Tavy looked right up my street, irrespective of the nightmare commute.

Badgers likes this.
  12. Poot

Yeah, the streets are paved with gold :D

I always think we're completely isolated but further west it must be really hard to find anything to suit.

13. Voley

There's fuck all down here believe me. Management know this and act accordingly, as you'd imagine. It genuinely surprises them when you start looking elsewhere though. Handing in your notice and throwing caution to the wind a bit is met with utter incomprehension. That's quite gratifying.

AMITNAL and Badgers like this.
  14. AMITNAL

AMITNAL New Member

The issue with Plymouth is the lack of investment and overall education. It's very much 40 years behind the rest of the United Kingdom. They seem to have this belief that the British empire is still there. Brexit land as well. Casual racism and xenophobia is the norm there and anyone between the age of 23 and 60 has left.. Its laced with immature students and the elderly. I spent a few months there and left. Old town syndrome and sadly narrow minded. But Devon and Cornwall have this in common.

They are pretty to visit but no normal human being could stay longer than a week.

15. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Pretty sweeping there bert. You sound almost like a shocking internet persona.

AMITNAL and Poot like this.
  16. Libertad

Libertad Man of Steal

Huge generalisation. Get to fuck.

Poot likes this.
  17. Poot

Yeah, fuck off, nob.

Libertad likes this.
  18. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Plymouth has two of the UK's nine women-only residential rehabs.

Libertad and Poot like this.
  19. Poot

I've been hanging out here a bit. Good beer and cider and seems like a good spot. Not as up itself as I thought, actually (though I still prefer the Fortescue)

20. AMITNAL

AMITNAL New Member

Awww, you a local from there? Never mind

21. AMITNAL

AMITNAL New Member

The land of a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget tbh.

#plymouth

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  22. AMITNAL

AMITNAL New Member

Only one comma needed after 'fuck off'

Are you from Plymouth? Sorry

23. Libertad

Libertad Man of Steal

I'm not playing with bits of kids so off you fuck.

24. AMITNAL

AMITNAL New Member

Pretty sweeping statements tend to be truthful and honest, because they are.

25. AMITNAL

AMITNAL New Member

Ok didums

Have a great day, in Plymouth

26. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Fuck me - shocking stuff. Especially for the internet.

AMITNAL and Libertad like this.
  27. Poot

I think we can all learn from this. I'm glad you finally arrived to point out the error of our ways.

Libertad and AMITNAL like this.
  28. AMITNAL

AMITNAL New Member

Self reflection is great. I do it myself at times. One has been known to a cunt, in the past of course.

Jokes aside, Plymouth needs government investment and I find it unfair that the city has been neglected, for 5000 years.

29. Poot

I'm not your mate.

AMITNAL likes this.
  30. AMITNAL

AMITNAL New Member

Never said I was