1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plymouth - Shithole Of The South West

Discussion in 'Bristol and South West' started by Bakunin, May 18, 2009.

1. toggle

toggle wobbly

suggest you mention on here what areas you're looking at so you can try for one with the lowest dickhead concentration.

jannerboyuk likes this.
  2. Libertad

Libertad Sweetie

Callington might be a good compromise, bussing in and out of Plymouth? Then there's Saltash but the less said about that the better. :hmm:

CNT36 and toggle like this.
  3. toggle

toggle wobbly

or somewhere up the tamar valley line.

Libertad likes this.
  4. jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk ...just kids gone wild.

Libertad likes this.
  5. Libertad

Libertad Sweetie

Thinking about it Liskeard might be a better bet, bus and train to Plymouth.

6. jannerboyuk

Ground Elder likes this.
  7. jannerboyuk

8. jannerboyuk

And someone needs to me tell if this is a decent new pub or hipster fad Welcome

9. Cribynkle

Cribynkle squawk

Calstock :D

Ground Elder and Libertad like this.
  10. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

Stoke or Mutley I reckon. You can walk everywhere and there are good bars and pubs. I think I'd get fed up of the commute if I lived in the East Cornish towns.

11. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

My goodness, sounds very worthy, doesn't it? Well, if you insist I may be forced to stop there for a pint and report back.

12. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

The commute from the West Cornish towns is not better.

13. toggle

toggle wobbly

nods, it was ok doing it twice a week. but 5 days a week would have killed me

14. CNT36

Pretty forgettable. There is a decent Pizza place and a Good Chinese on that street though. The one time I've been there was waiting for a pizza to cook. The progressive musician that night was shit. Uses to goto Chams on the road but stopped when it changed hands. The Junction and the Underground both in Mutley are good for music.

Poot likes this.
  15. CNT36

I only need to do it twice a week usually once by car and once by train. Have had to do 4 or 5 days now and then and it soon gets boring especially by road.

16. toggle

toggle wobbly

yeah, at least on the train i can use the lappy. unless it's a train full of kids.

and i had some control over my schedule so could do mostly the 6 quid offpeak fares.

and i';m 2 mins from the station one end and 5 at the other.

could have been a shitload worse

CNT36 likes this.
  17. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

18. twentythreedom

twentythreedom don't wanna get me vex, don't step on my creps

I was in a rehab in North Devon, as a weekend group activity we went indoor snowboarding at a place in Plymouth - it was chaos :) Ten sketchy, sickly rehab bods, dressed wrong, completely hopeless at snowboarding, falling all over the place then stopping for roll ups while the staff got increasingly exasperated

More recently the finish line of the Fastnet Race is at Plymouth :thumbs:

The maritime side of it is great, otherwise a bit of a shit hole ime

Voley and Libertad like this.
  19. Libertad

Libertad Sweetie

Feels wrong to "like" that ^^^ but what the hell. :)

twentythreedom likes this.
  20. twentythreedom

twentythreedom don't wanna get me vex, don't step on my creps

It was funny as fuck tbf :)

fractionMan, Voley and Libertad like this.
  21. Voley

Voley Pasta Of Muppets

Mannamead? What's that like? Rents look affordable.

I've done the job application now - it's basically the temp job I'm already doing but in Plymouth and permanent - so we'll see if anything comes of it.

Badgers likes this.
  22. Voley

Voley Pasta Of Muppets

Getting out of town a bit there's a lovely little cottage for rent in Bere Ferrers but that'll mean an hours drive each way. Might be worth it though; looks like a lovely area. The issue of whether I need a car is a moot point now, though, as I need one for the job so the places out of town a bit are looking more appealing.

Badgers likes this.
  23. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

My brother lives in Mutley. It seems nice.

Poot and Voley like this.
  24. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

Bere Ferrers in on the Gunnislake branch line to/from Plymouth. I would warn you that it's a single line meaning two hours between trains in either direction. Beautiful train journey, though.

Voley likes this.
  25. toggle

toggle wobbly

if i was living up there, I'd use the train to get to plymouth as much as i could. the first half of the drive from bere ferers to plymouth is a maze of tiny roads, the second half is stop and go commuter traffic. in bad weather, or when every fucker is using their car, an hour is an underestimate.

26. jannerboyuk

Mannamead is the posh bit :)

27. Voley

Voley Pasta Of Muppets

Thanks for the replies, folks. All very helpful, thanks. Not sure about whether I'd want to live in town or in the sticks a bit now. The area by the Tavy looks really nice but the commute would be a pain, right enough. Anyhow, all dependent on 1. getting the interview and 2. how that goes, now. Thanks again.

Badgers and Libertad like this.
  28. Libertad

Libertad Sweetie

Best of luck Voley, let us know how you get on.

Voley likes this.
  29. Voley

Voley Pasta Of Muppets

Thanks. Will do.

Badgers likes this.
  30. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I really like to be by the sea, so I'd recommend the hoe or thereabouts. Stonehouse used to be cheap, but I think it's gone all posh this last decade.