Plymouth - Shithole Of The South West

Discussion in 'Bristol and South West' started by Bakunin, May 18, 2009.

1. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Well, despite having agreed to all of that some time back, I'm thinking of applying for a job there soon.

How is it now? Last time I was up there (admittedly only for an afternoon) it looked alright.

Am I making a huge mistake?

Badgers likes this.
  2. gosub

gosub ~#

I'll see your Plymouth and raise you: Bridgewater.

steveo87 and Libertad like this.
  3. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

The missus is from Plymouth but I think it's a miserable concrete mess. One of the few places I've been where a stranger's opening gambit has been straight out racist.

Plymouth Man: hello mate, where are you from?
    Me: Southampton [nb: not where I'm from, but bear in mind that I think Plym is a notably miserable concrete mess]
    Plymouth Man: ah, shit, full of fucking Arabs isn't it

Niiiice. Although it has some decent parks and countryside.

4. toggle

toggle wobbly

it probably is alright in small doses.

but i reckon you would well regret living too close to the place.

5. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

It is awesome and you should move here, I mean there, immediately. The people are incredibly good looking and really very sophisticated.

:)

Voley likes this.
  6. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

Don't do it if you can possibly avoid it.

CNT36 likes this.
  7. jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk ...just kids gone wild.

8. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

Bridgewater is the stinkiest place I've ever been to in these septic isles.

9. toggle

toggle wobbly

one that didn't see more destroyed by the attentions of town planners than by wartime bombing......

10. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I interviewed at Plymouth Poly 30 years ago. Can't remember the outcome but I went somewhere else. Didn't have any views, good or bad, about the place but I have never had reason to go back.

11. Voley

There's the rub, I think. Flats in the city look affordable for me - well the cheaper end of the market does - but I wouldn't want to be running a car. Looks like there's some nice countryside just out of town which would suit me better but then I'm going to have petrol/MOT/insurance and what-have-you on top of the rent.

Badgers likes this.
  12. Voley

I don't doubt it for a moment. If this move happens you must take me drinking with all your beautiful sophisticated acquaintances. :D

Badgers and Poot like this.
  13. jannerboyuk

Thats a big list

14. jannerboyuk

It goes without saying that the Urbz enclave in poor old Plymouth is The Nowhere Inn The Nowhere Inn

Poot and Voley like this.
  15. Voley

A boozer for old punks with a good selection of ale? I think you've just sold the place to me.

Badgers, Poot and jannerboyuk like this.
  16. jannerboyuk

17. Voley

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Badgers likes this.
  18. Voley

Just been watching the rockabilly/folk bands and stuff on that page I think that place would deffo have to be my local, thanks for that.

Badgers and Poot like this.
  19. mauvais

Also I'm still furious about the time that we went for breakfast at Royal William Yard, and foolishly expecting at the very least a big fat sausage, I was presented with pure hipster-cum-Napoleonic-era austere naval twattery involving no choice at all but bread for dickheads and hardboiled egg. And I don't like egg. See you in hell, Plymouth.

[​IMG]

20. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

No such place.

The pub by the station (king James vaults or something like that) used to have an internal wimpy bar.

21. jusali

jusali Happy daze.....

Racism and Homophobia in spades from what I remember too. :facepalm:

tony.c likes this.
  22. Cribynkle

Cribynkle squawk

Oh god, that was 20 years ago?! I remember going past Central Park the following morning and seeing it all sealed off :( and the horror of what those young boys did. I've not been back for 10 years and now and then have a nostalgia for the place but then remember why I was so desperate to leave

23. jannerboyuk

This has been going for 20 years as well, you may like it Plymouth Punx Picnic

Voley likes this.
  24. Poot

So funny to read about my local haunts on here :D I was just thinking about how I haven't been to the Nowhere for ages.

I'm not saying there aren't dickheads - there really, really are. But there are some really brilliant people here too. I made friends really quickly after moving from London and I never looked back.

mauvais if you hang out at RWY that's just what you get. Go somewhere nice next time!

25. mauvais

I didn't choose the place! :mad:

26. Poot

Well who did? Kirsty Allsopp? Jacob Rees-Mogg?! :eek:

Libertad and mauvais like this.
  27. Sea Star

Sea Star FUCK OFF

I grew up in Plymouth too. not only homophobic but probably even more transphobic! No wonder it took me till age 47 to come out!

Since then I've been back a few times to see my family and I've not had any problems but that might be because I pass well, or that Plymouth has moved on since I were a kid.

Having said that when I stayed in Plymouth last year, at Derrys Cross, after about 10pm on a Friday night I was just too scared to leave the hotel; and I haven't been too scared to go anywhere in London, even when I didn;t pass too well!

most likely due to the levels of poverty there. I've noticed this too. I'd be surprised if many ex military settle in Plymouth when they retire; more likely to go back to whatever part of the country their family is from.

you mean you try to attack them? Considering my elderly Dad, my young niece and some of her friends all go to Home Park regularly, I think it makes you the inbreds.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    toggle likes this.
  28. toggle

toggle wobbly

james street vaults.

they do pizza now (or at least did when i was in there last year)

CNT36 likes this.
  29. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Yeah, they were still doing that week before last when i was in there. They were also noticeably tardy with their opening - 10 past 12 instead of 12. And their website says 11 as well.

30. toggle

toggle wobbly

i wouldn't know, never went in before about 4. catch the right day (or perhaps wrong depending from your POV) and it's full of the history dept staff and postgrads.