Plymouth - Shithole Of The South West

Discussion in 'Bristol and South West' started by Bakunin, May 18, 2009.

1. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

Right then, for those who don't know me, I was born in Plymouth grew up on Dartmoor, and had the great misfortune to move back to Plymouth about ten years ago. So I'm clearly not trolling as it's (unfortunately for me) my home town.

I regret ever having set foot in this unmitigated, Godforsaken, hellish, cramped, overcrowded, polluted, dirty, noisy, smelly little dump and am only here because I lack the money to be able to move away.

There's very little in the way of culture and the arts, not much for people to do (unless they're tourists) other than get plastered of a weekend, the people are a rather unwelcoming bunch (if not outright hostile to incomers), the social climate is narrow-minded and judgmental of anyone who deviates in the least from 'the norm', the clubland is one of the most violent places I've ever had the displeasure to visit and, in general, the only good thing about Plymouth is watching it recede into the distance on those occasions when I'm pootling off somewhere else, a feeling of blessed release that, sadly, only lasts until I have to come back.

I dislike city life in general, being a country lad, but I particularly HATE living in Plymouth more than anywhere else I've ever been.

2. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Completely agree.

3. _pH_

_pH_ .

Not familiar with the place myself, but I went through it on the train recently and it does look a bit grim. All those grey houses devoid of anything pleasing aesthetically.

But then I understand Plymouth got bombed to fuck during the war so there was obviously an urgent need for replacement housing.

4. Voley

Can you not just move out of town a bit and commute in? The countryside's nice enough around there as I recall.

5. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

One peculiar thing we've always noticed about Plymouth is the number of disabled people there. Is there a specific reason for this?

6. _pH_

_pH_ .

Physical disabilities? To do with it being a navy town maybe? war vets? dunno, just guessing

7. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

If I had the money (I'l long-term sick) then I'd be out ASAP, never to return, I promise you. I lived on the outskrits inside the Dartmoor National Park and I've never been happier. But I can honestly say that, since I moved into the city itself, there isn't a day that's passed when I haven't wanted to be somewhere else.

8. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

Yeah, mostly physical - there were a lot of people in wheelchairs.

9. Voley

Ahh, yeah, I see the difficulty.

10. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

haven't actually been in Plymouth for about 26 years, last time I was there, was getting a bus to it, and a connecting bus to the Elephants Fayre, in St Germans, nearby, I drove to St Germans the other day, had a big nostalgia kick :cool:

I've just been on holiday near Plymouth, but didn't feel a need to go into it, I was close to Dartmoor, and that was enough for me, beautiful country, at least you are near it, if you need to get out of Plymouth for a bit

fractionMan likes this.
  11. Voley

You have led exactly the same life as me, marty. It's getting a bit scary, tbh. Please stop it.

12. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

:D

but I'm in london (20 years and counting) you left, I haven't done that yet

haven't found out where you live :D

13. Voley

I'm not saying either. :mad:

14. kerb

kerb trip-stop

One of my regrets was coming back to Plymouth.

Like you say, culture and arts are truely lacking in this place. The nightlife is just generic disco. No 'nights' as such.

I'm leaving in August and hope I dont come back (to live) for a looong time.

15. kerb

kerb trip-stop

Saying that you only need 15 minutes in a car in any direction and you are a world away. You wouldnt believe the city you just left after only a few miles

16. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

dont tell him about your tagline NVP :cool:

bakunin - at least you're not in Torpoint

17. boskysquelch

boskysquelch Banned Banned

but he prolly is in Swilly. :(

18. damnhippie

damnhippie shark sandwich

it's not great is it. casual violence and bad heroin seemed to be the main things to do, last i remember being there. mind you a lot of british towns are probably pretty similar. :(

19. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I've lived in Plymouth for some months now. It's a shithole alright. The only thing I like about it is the fact you can stare out to sea and pretend you're not really there. It's in such a pretty part of the world as well. Never mind, I'm getting evicted shortly so I reckon I'll just pack a rucksack and fuck off somewhere else with such spare change as can be found behind the sofa.

20. SpookyFrank

There's no way out of town that doesn't involve either going up a big hill or swimming. The poor blighters probably wandered in by accident and never managed to get out again :(

21. Meltingpot

Meltingpot On hiatus

Plymouth

I grew up, went to school and in all spent 20 years of my life there. I agree the place has its problems but I don't accept it's as bad as everyone here says.

It's got one of the best scenic locations of any city in the world IMO - the views from North Cross down Armada Way and out to the Hoe, down Western Approach towards Drake's Island, or from Mount Pleasant Redoubt in any direction, are truly superb, it's like a miniature San Francisco. Precisely because it's so hilly, you get a sense of space from almost anywhere you live - instead of looking at a back-to-back house right in front of you, you tend to look over it and out to the countryside in some direction.

It could be a fantastic city and one day maybe will be, but IMO it suffers from being a naval city. You get a deep social conservatism as a result there and also a sense of impermanence, because so many people are on short term postings and aren't there for any length of time, so don't have a long term commitment to the place.

Also, too much of the city centre closes down at 5:30 - 6:00 p.m. Even the library shuts at 7:30 p.m. (which it didn't when I was at school - blame the cuts). The place is crying out for a decent out of doors cafe culture on a warm summer's evening instead of people just heading home to the suburbs.

There is arts and culture there, but you have to look for it. Try the Arts Centre near the bus station, which puts on some good alternative films (also a good veggie restaurant there) or one of the folk clubs which meet in pubs every so often. I heard some good sea shanties on my way home from the bus station once, passing a pub holding one such meeting.

22. kerb

kerb trip-stop

I know what you mean. The ideal place would be the barbican which is gorgeous. There are many pubs there and on a bank holiday sunday it is full of pissheads. If you were a tourist and headed down there on a bank holiday you'd be shocked

23. SpookyFrank

Definitely agree about the scenery, but of course the flipside is that the place seems to be focussed more on tourists than on locals in many ways. I've never seen a city centre so dead after dark than Plymouth's; those big wide streets and open spaces could be wonderful but there's nothing there but shops and chain cafes. Beyond that you've got the Mutley Plain student ghetto, the hellish Union street (where the city's one major club, in a lovely old building, is empty and decaying since the police stitched up the owners) and the Barbican which is very pretty and does have some nice little places but also gets overrun by drunken wankers a lot of the time. It could, and should, be a wonderful city but it all feels rather tragic at the moment.

24. Meltingpot

Meltingpot On hiatus

Yeah, the Barbican used to be my favourite part of the city but I gather it's gone downhill recently. Sad.

Robert Lenkiewicz was our local cultural icon, I hope they're keeping his studio / gallery open now that he's gone. He put Plymouth on the map from an artistic point of view (as did Beryl Cook).

I also like Stoke Village, it actually feels a bit like a village and of course it's got far-reaching views from the top of the hill (Mount Pleasant Redoubt).

25. Meltingpot

Meltingpot On hiatus

Agreed.

26. SpookyFrank

Would this be a good point to suggest a Plymouth drinks meet? :D

27. Asriel

Asriel Well-Known Member

I moved down from London about 3 years ago and really like the place, I was originally in Sutton Marina, now in Stoke Village. Millbay is getting redeveloped (well hopefully)

http://www.cargomillbay.com/?gclid=CIjU1MjxypoCFRAgZwody2Sz2w

Yes, the center is dead - probably because there are no pubs. The Barbican/Hoe area is nice also, but yeah, full of piss-heads on Bank Holidays etc, but where isn't.

Like someone pointed out, 15 minutes outside the city you've Dartmoor/Cornwall amazing costal walks/beaches.

It just seems to me that Plymouth is 10 years behind any other city, in the sense that over the last few years where there's been the development boom, they've been waaaayyyy behind and only recently thought, look what we've got here - we 'could' make this place a top city, then crash, economy collapses - too late.

Chilli.s likes this.
  28. internetstalker

internetstalker Get naked!

You Janner!!

;)

29. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I grew up there and it is a bit of a dump.

I'd never move back, that's for certain.

30. djbombscare

djbombscare Plays with knives