....Please hold on. the bus is about to move..

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by blossie33, Jan 15, 2018.

1. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

2. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Awwww, bless Londoners, needing to be reminded that a bus might actually move :facepalm: :D

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Yeh cos it's crap

Spymaster likes this.
  4. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Yes, I noticed/wondered about this too. Really annoying.

5. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Some people die on a bus when it moves. TfL are trying to tackle this problem and reduce incidents of passenger deaths to zero by 2030.

6. bimble

bimble noisy but small

It is incredibly annoying, heard it yesterday for the first time (on a 134). I think it's probably to stop people trying to sue the bus company if they are stupid enough to trip over when the bus does that astonishing thing of .. moving away from a bus stop.:facepalm:

7. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

Seems the article's point isn't so much the announcement itself, as the fact that it doesn't seem to be particularly well-timed. Which I can understand people being really irritated by...

8. bimble

bimble noisy but small

There are so many recorded voices already telling you pointless things all day long on the transport network, it is invasive as hell. If its not saying beware floors may be slippery its saying don't forget to carry water with you in this hot weather etc. Madness.

9. BemusedbyLife

BemusedbyLife Well-Known Member

Got it in one, we get more like the Yanks everyday

Guineveretoo likes this.
  10. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

How many? Can we expect recordings to warn about every potential cause of death regardless of how infrequently they actually happen? “Please hold on, bus braking”.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    bimble likes this.
  11. bimble

bimble noisy but small

At Euston (I think it was) there's a new recorded annoucement telling people not to stop and stand still at the end of the escalators. :facepalm:

12. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

That's not new, I've heard that before... It's sort of a natural instinct to pause when you get off but not to stop to look for your oyster card :mad:

marty21 likes this.
  13. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Do they still play the 'please stand well clear of the doors' message upstairs on all busses? That was annoying

14. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Ime, most people who stumble on buses seem to do so because they can’t reach a hold point. Not because they’re unaware that the bus will move.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  15. existentialist

I live in West Wales. So, a) there are no upstairses on the buses, b) there are hardly any buses anyway, c) if you want to catch a bus, it's cheaper to buy one of your own, and d) they'd probably have to do the announcements in English AND Welsh. There wouldn't be enough time in between stops, slow as the buses are, for the announcements to get made. :D

16. existentialist

"The bus is about to execute a left turn. Please brace the leg that is currently towards the offside of the vehicle"

Miss-Shelf and Spymaster like this.
  17. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

The Waterloo to Fishguard train announcer used to rush the 'this train is stopping at...' announcement to get it all in before the train got to Clapham Junction :D and then he'd start again.

18. existentialist

And I bet he didn't then have to do it all over again in Welsh! "...os gwelwch yn dda."

wiskey likes this.
  19. existentialist

"the bus will shortly be passing under some trees. Passengers wearing sunglasses may wish to remove them in order to continue reading their newspapers"

NoXion likes this.
  20. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

Feel sorry for the poor drivers tbh. Passengers only have to listen to that crap for their journey, not all day, I'd go postal.

MadeInBedlam and bimble like this.
  21. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Beijing buses have been warning about leaving the stop and telling you to hold tight for a while now I think, 车辆起步请坐稳扶好
    My daughter does the ubiquitous recorded reversing warning you get on everything from electric bikes to trucks here when she's on her toddler trike.

cupid_stunt likes this.
  22. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

This certainly happens to me on buses and, to be frank, an announcement telling me the bus was about to move, even If it was before the bus moved, would be no use to me!

Spymaster likes this.
  23. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Is this message for blind users? Like the next bus stop messages?

sealion likes this.
  24. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

I wouldn't have thought so. Are blind people less likely to be aware that the bus will move than sighted ones?

xenon likes this.
  25. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

the problem isn't when buses are moving: it's when it starts or stops. most people are well aware that the bus will start moving shortly after they board. it's just before there are sudden decelerations in particular that a warning would be nice. but that's not really possible, is it. in addition, the 'about to move' bit in my experience rarely comes when the bus is about to move but when it is moving: its timing is often tardy.

Favelado likes this.
  26. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

well you can't see the people getting off/on the bus, or that the doors have closed. Not being blind or partially sighted, I'm not sure whether it's an issue, what other things tell me the bus is about to move? I've barely been on a bus for years and think that once I'm on it I'm either sat down or holding on so it makes no odds to me that it's about to move and I don't pay attention for it happening but the things that tell you the bus is about to start moving are visual aren't they?

sealion, keithy and Spymaster like this.
  27. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

The announcement tells you the doors have closed.

28. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

this annoying announcement happened shortly after my friends two year old was hurled across a bus in South London. He had the pot removed from his arm last week.

29. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Just sat down on the bus, heard it, opened my phone and saw this thread.

It doesn't bother me but I feel for the bus driver.

See also CHH CHHH CAUTION VEICHLE TURNING LEFT CHHH CHHH
    And the worst has to be working on an ice cream van and hearing Greensleeves or whatever, several thousand times a week

Guineveretoo, Spymaster and blossie33 like this.
  30. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Yes, I feel sorry for the drivers too - having to listen to that all their working day!