please help- mid-life crisis(?) prompts request for music

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by campanula, May 14, 2018.

1. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Sweetheart, after seemingly ignoring music for the past 30 odd years has suddenly expressed a desire to have music when driving. I have hardly anything to go on apart from a few Van Morrison albums, a vague liking for Ry Cooder and fond memories of a funk-filled youth (Parliament)...plus a couple of Dylan records, maybe Talking Heads, seem to recall Portishead. The 90s onward went over his head in a whoosh (although tbf, the entire dance/rave and various unidentifiable techno things passed both if us by). I am no help at all (Can only think of Warren Zevon so far)...but yep, the birthday present is bought and now need to nip into town and buy some stuff from vaguely indie record store. Please, if you can resist obscurity and suggest me some classics for dilettantes.

editor likes this.
  2. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

This is a great post
    Hope some help comes along soon

campanula likes this.
  3. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

4. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

Great post, but still not very sure what the brief is. However, using the artists you mention, I'm going to suggest ten albums as a Collection Starter for Sweetheart.

Richard Thompson - Shoot Out the Lights [backup - Acoustic Classics].
    Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children [backup - Geogaddi]
    John Fahey - the Yellow Princess [backup - the Voice of the Turtle]
    PJ Harvey - White Chalk [backup - To Bring You My Love]
    Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On [backup - Fresh]
    Laura Marling - Semper Femina [backup - Short Movie]
    Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue [backup - A Night at the Vanguard]
    Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes [backup - 3]
    Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot [backup - Safe as Milk]
    Cat Power - The Greatest [backup - Moon Pix]

It might seem totally arbitrary, but then it probably is.

Maggot, campanula and Miss-Shelf like this.
  5. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

"Quebec" by Ween. (going on your other musical reference points you will enjoy it, + it is from this millenium so you'll be catching up a bit, + it is very varied so you won't get bored, and impeccably produced, and very good songwriting)

littleseb, campanula and maomao like this.
  6. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

What is good for driving though is Can... Ege Bamyasi or something. I had an aunt + uncle who every christmas used to buy me a pretty random CD, of nothing that I had ever heard of, that was a great present and they got a surprising amount of hits actually, including Can (but it was Tago Mago which I might not recommend here as it goes a bit nuts with the 20 minute improvised squawking towards the end)

krtek a houby and littleseb like this.
  7. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

What I really like personally though is to get a good accessible book about a genre/movement in music (e.g for krautrock I read "Future Days") and search out records that sound interesting as I'm reading it.... I find this much more fulfilling getting the context etc behind the music, rather than just jumping in. But that's just me... it's a good hobby if you have time to fill though!

Indeliblelink and campanula like this.
  8. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

This is more Mrs Tag's scene than mine and she loves Leonard Cohen, Morrisey, The Smiths.....

9. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Thank you. Although I am something of a lapsed muso type myself, Danny's list especially got my brain cells activated. Fela Kuti - of course...and I am going to add in the smooth vocals of Ishmael Lo. I will also get the eternally fresh Marvin Gaye. Now, whilst I am entirely comfortable with the W.Coast Americana of New Riders, Gram Parsons, various combinations of Stills, Nash, Crosby...I have a horrid feeling that sweetheart's taste incline more to Steely Dan, Steve Miller...but I vaguely recall both of us enjoying Robbie Robertson (but cannot recall album).
    Will give Ween a listen (unknown to me) and yep BoC are always worth a punt. Oh yeah, (coming back to me) - JJCale? Yo La Tengo?

Oh Danny - Sly Stone - yes indeed. Think some Clash might go down well too.

Fez909 and danny la rouge like this.
  10. copliker

copliker ...

Not Ween.

campanula likes this.
  11. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Not any other ween album except the one I suggested (and skip the first song).

12. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Neil Young, who has various tastes and moods?

13. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

just put the stooges raw power on repeat. job done.

campanula likes this.
  14. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Mmmm, well as I am often the passenger and my own dubious tastes run to 3rd Ear Band, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Incredible String Band, plainsong, madrigals and other choral treats (was a trained singer) along with obscure Albanian and Inner Mongolian folkies, I admit to finding Iggy slightly terrifying. The birthday boy might go there though...

15. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Turnips - big! Swedes - small!

The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional

JimW likes this.
  16. campanula

campanula plant a seed

OK, came home with: Fela Kuti - Best of the Black Pres
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going on
    Les negresses vertes (ist album)
    Portishead Dummy
    Sly Stone - There's A Riot going on
    Ry Cooder - Bop till you drop
    Talking Heads Once in a Lifetime
    Neutral Milk Hotel In the aeroplane, over the sea

Maggot, danny la rouge and Yossarian like this.
  17. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

For driving I mostly like the following, although in no order of preference and as it is road type, distance, Totoro303 tolerence threshold and weather dependent:
    Lupe Fiasco
    Prodigy
    Elbow
    Sufjan Stevens
    Muggison
    John Grant
    Sigur Ros
    Dikta
    Dandy Warhols
    Infected Mushroom
    Commercial Hippies

18. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Sleaford Mods - Austerity Dogs

19. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Turnips - big! Swedes - small!

Greil Marcus is pretty good on the books front.

20. Stash

Stash Pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki

Good that you got the question and the answer in the same pickup

campanula likes this.