Please help I really need advice x

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by JoJoford, Sep 9, 2018.

  1. JoJoford

    JoJoford New Member

    really need some advice and help. I'm on esa for acute anxiety and stress so I'm unable to work. I recently had to move into a new flat.
    I have formerly been in receipt of housing benefit for a few years.
    In order to get the property secured with the referencing etc, my father had to act as guarantor otherwise I would have been left homeless.
    The letting agent knew I was liable for housing Ben and would be the only person living in the flat with my 2 children.

    They drew up a contract with my fsther as tennant and myself as permitted I cupier
    I am the permitted occupier.

    I am now not sure If this in an error in order to proceed with my benefit claim.

    Do I need to ask them.yo redo the contract that I am the tenant and my dad the guarantor.
    I live on my own with my 2 children and Had been told I would get housing and council tax.
    The council sent me a letter yesterday to say I won't now get either as my father is named tenant on the contract even though I am permitted occupier.

    Please help. I'm not sure what to do or how to speak to the council about this and I need to sort it out asap as I have no means of paying the rent and need to claim housing but they are saying i csnt get ut as ny dad is named tennant.

    How can I resolve this situation as I'm now very stressed and frightened

    Any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. 8115

    8115 sitting down is bad for you

    All I can advise is going into the council to speak to them about this. There are other posters who may know more but I'm not sure who. Also the CAB are a good place to go but set some time aside for this and check the opening/ advice hours.
    Ax^ likes this.
  3. MrSki

    MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

    As said by 8115 CAB is your best option or you could try Shelter but you need proper advice that can be used against the council rather than internet advice. good luck with it.

    ETA if you are going to the CAB then get there half an hour before it opens & get in the queue. Also expect it to take a whole morning or afternoon.
    Ax^ likes this.
  4. Puddy_Tat

    Puddy_Tat hmm

    Or alternatively check the website of your local CAB and see how they handle things - some do an appointment thing rather than drop in.

    Or talk to Shelter - contact details here.

    It's now many years since I worked in housing benefits, but my initial gut feeling is that you can't claim housing benefit unless you are a tenant, and you can't (usually) claim if you're living with parent/s, and that is what - on paper - the situation appears to be.

    Whose name is the council tax bill in (or have you not had one yet?) - again, you can't claim council tax reduction if you are not (again on paper) the person who's liable to pay it.

    I think the letting agent / landlord has loused it up. I don't think it's necessary to list a guarantor as tenant (I've just done a quick search, and I can find a couple of guarantor agreement templates which refer to the tenant as the tenant and the guarantor as the guarantor, with the tenancy agreement and the guarantor agreement being separate documents.) Gut feeling is you need to talk to them fairly urgently.

    And talk to housing benefit people and explain what's going on - there is a chance they will keep your claim open, rather than make you start a new claim from whatever date you get it sorted out.
    MrSki likes this.
  5. Argonia

    Argonia Happy go licky

    Did this situation get sorted out?
  6. editor

    editor hiraethified

    The poster hasn't returned :(
  7. Argonia

    Argonia Happy go licky

    Hope things are ok...

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice