1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLAY OFF FINAL Bognor Regis v DULWICH HAMLET 1/5/2017 Monday 3pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by toby kempton, Apr 28, 2017.

1. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Can I just say asa Cardiff supporting , but Sarf Lundun born urbanite, I am incredibly jealous of all you DH supporters and wished my local club, Barry Town, was as vibrant.

BT have an incredible history and are getting back to where they once were, slowly. Champions League every season. Dynamo Kiev, including Shevchenko(twice), beating Porto, drawing with Aberdeen. Would be great to have those nights back.

2. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

not entirely so. Too many games in too short a time meant there was nothing extra in the tank, when chasing the game. The team gave everything they had.

3. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

4. YTC

YTC Human Man

5. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

6. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

Blimey

7. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

8. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

This was on their forum before Monday's game but they deleted it - I had hoped their players would not play for him in the final but no such luck.

9. YTC

YTC Human Man

Off to Langley Sports. Interesting move.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well that fucking sucks for their fans.

11. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I couldn't care less about their fans, to be honest. I just hope Gavin stays...

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You're so hardcore.

pompeydunc, GlosPinkNBlue and clog like this.
  13. Dulwich Mishi

I wasn't on the internet yesterday, so am just catching up right now. The first thing I did was check there were no photos of me crying at the final whistle in the rain. In truth I was gutted, not because we just didn't go up, in truth we 'only' came third, and they were twelve points ahead of us, I don't agree with play-offs, but am more than happy to win them if they are in place.
    But because I had heard in confidence about the budget cuts suggested by our owners Meadows. That's what I hate about The Hamlet, not Meadows per se, but being a lifelong fan who tends to hear whispers and what goes on behind the scenes, there's so much that actually genuinely stops me enjoying matches as much as I should, and going into the play-offs with this information was a big cloud over me.
    I hope it can be sorted, for what Gavin has achieved is immense.He is so close to building a team that really will achieve. It took a while to gel this season, but once it did...
    Third place is still our highest finish since I was still a young teenage schoolboy in 1980. We have only been higher in the Isthmian League post-War once, when we were runners-up in 1949!
    I am so scared of what will happen if Gavin goes...the unknown will, I believe, leave us struggling. But no matter what happens, like many I will still be there.
    I could be critical of Meadows, I should be critical of Meadows....but part of me still doesn't want to be. For without those nasty property developers they would have just shut us down when they took us over. It suits them to have a successful Club as part of their project, and it suits us...when we get the new ground. But that has dragged on for so long...their investors are getting twitchy about decent returns. I'm not from that world, nor do I understand it... BUT I do understand football fans. And if the budget is cut and Gavin goes I honestly believe that they will lose a huge swathe of support for the redevelopment. In the overall scheme of things, no matter how much they have put in so far, in such a mid-range housing development, forty grand is not a lot of money at all...and is far too small a sum to lose any goodwill from our terraces.
    If they cut the budget I genuinely believe it will put their redevelopment plans in jeopardy, and what will it mean for us as a Club?
    That's the great unknown. New ground...we continue. Current ground...who knows? It could mean bye, bye Dulwich Hamlet as we know it...but we can cross this bridge when it comes.
    As it stands I think Gavin doesn't even want an increased budget, just the same one! Perhaps we are losing money, and the way the Club is right now is not sustainable. But perhaps if the powers that be on the football side of things were actually shown the figures in confidence we might be able to agree with them. As it stands...I believe the football side of things more than generates more than enough income to make the current playing budget sustainable, perhaps other sections of the 'Club' could be improved to try to match the growth on the football side.

I just find this so sad, when I am still hurting immensely from not going up on Monday, when I really thought it was our time, we're not talking about what a brilliant-albeit patchy in places- season it's been, and it's all about the budget and Gavin's future.

14. Dulwich Mishi

Really? What the fuck does that mean?

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It was just an attempt at a joke based on your lack of empathy for Bognor fans. Nothing to get worked up about.

clog and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  16. Dulwich Mishi

I actually have nothing against the vast majority of Bognor fans. They're not my favourite club, but not the worst by a long chalk.

Pink Panther likes this.
  17. Cyclodunc

Wasn't your best joke, ed

YTC likes this.
  18. Dulwich Mishi

19. Dulwich Mishi

20. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

"Hamlet have some of the best people you’d ever want to share ninety minutes of your life with. Here’s hoping that next year they’ll finally get the success that their efforts deserve."

Top ending. Couldn't agree more.

darryl and editor like this.
  21. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

I saw you in the crowd at the end mishi. Courage to you. Our time will come.

22. baleboy_93

baleboy_93 Well-Known Member

If you can bring yourselves to watch the game again, here it is:

23. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

We were CHAMPIONS in 1949 and runners-up in 1959.

This uncertainty over next season and beyond feels like a far greater blow than losing on Monday. The last time we had such a stuttering start to the season was in the promotion season, when we lost away to Corinthian-Casuals then 5-0 at Maidstone in the space of four days in October. For me the team that finished the season is Gavin's best so far, and our best since the last time we finished 3rd under Alan Smith. I thought it might be a lucky omen when he turned up for the final at Bognor, on the 39th anniversary of us our final match of his Division 1 Championship winning season - also a Bank Holiday Monday - but it wasn't to be.

At the end of last season I amused myself by picking a best XI of players from the Gavin Rose era, and it consisted entirely of players who had been with us from the promotion season except for Michael Abnett. If I repeated the exercise now I think I'd pick almost the entire current XI with only Erhun Oztumer and Ethan Pinnock being an improvement on what we have right now. I'll be devastated if the manager leaves and this team breaks up. This season has been far more enjoyable than the last two.

clog, AndyF, Ludo and 11 others like this.
  24. Dulwich Mishi

"We were CHAMPIONS in 1949 and runners-up in 1959."

Wh:oops::oops:ps! Hangs head in shame! N:oops: excuses....

Ronco and Pink Panther like this.
  25. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

FFS Mishi, I thought you were there.

sleaterkinney, Cyclodunc and editor like this.
  26. Dulwich Mishi

Nah, just look as old as you! ;)

27. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I've only just got around to watching the replay of that bizarre sliced clearance by Drage for their second goal. If a top international forward had executed that turn and pass on purpose to set up a goal it would be hailed as a moment of genius. It's like Jack Douglas meets Lionel Messi.

28. Cyclodunc

Did he slice it?

29. 3010

3010 Well-Known Member

Hooked rather than sliced.

30. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Found this photo on my phone, I don't even remember taking it. IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0005.JPG