1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plastikman / Richie Hawtin

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Badgers, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

2. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Cool. Will have to try and get that.

My particular fave Plastikman album is Artifakts.

3. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Holy shit! :D Thanks!

4. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

That robotman track is awesome :cool:

5. braindancer

braindancer not for long

I got a copy of Sheet One when that came out but I was too young to appreciate it - I just thought it was boring. Some years later though Decks, FX and 909 was probably the mix that sparked my interest in proper techno - for this Mr. Hawtin I thank you. Only saw him play out the once, at Lost, it was epically awesome.

6. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

shit mixing ( ala more traditional formats, vinyl, cds) uses tracktor & ableton, he admits that laptop mixes for him on youtube.
    great productions.
    silly haircuts.

7. Wonky

Wonky Well-Known Member

Growing up in Toronto, Canada I was lucky enough to experience some of the crazy early Hawtin parties...particularly the one in backroom of his Acme pressing plant warehouse with Jonh Acquaviva and The Stickmen...long before Traktor, it was just three decks and a 909!

A couple of Plastikman parties in warehouses with walls covered in black plastic was some mind-blowing experiences as well:eek:

Although I'm not a huge fan of his current minimal stuff, he has prob done more for techno than any other artists out there

Looking forward to his new Plastikman shows!

Badgers likes this.
  8. mattharvey1

mattharvey1 New Member

Atomic Jam - when he dropped Kraftwerk's Tour De France in the middle of his techno set .. lifted the roof of the place. :D

9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Fuck I am jealous.....

I read a great article about those 'black reflective' parties (heavy on the strobe?) a while ago and and it hurt that I was not there.

10. zeedoodles

zeedoodles Member

I see now on FB he is looking for OS and Android programers for the live stuff and other ideas !

11. chico enrico

chico enrico No hair shows you care.

Gotta say i've never really been a great fan (a bit too 'european' sounding for me and his image i've always found a bit wank) but gotta say he did do some amazing tracks when he first started - circut breaker (the one that plays from the centre) , three o three - 'public energy' and gateway experience 'twin freaks' which was always one of those "last tracks of the night once the lights go on" for a couple of months around the time it came out.

actually, come to think of it that wasn't him was it?

oh yea, that LFO vs FUSE 12" was way cool but got overplayed a bit at the time.

12. Mallard

Mallard Ducking and diving

Just posted Fuse 'Dimension Intrusion' on 'What's on the CD player' then noticed this. Great minds.....

13. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

FUSE - Dimension Intrusion as has already been mentioned.

Also this 12 for some dancefloor acid techno action!

14. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Angry brown femme ^_^

Spastik is dead good esp at 9am on a sunday morn...the dubfire mix is also:cool:

15. themonkeyman

themonkeyman WHOOO HOOOO !!!

Yeah I think he is pretty good. Went to his Contakt Show at Briston Academy last October which was pretty special and just before that went to the ICA to see the Making of Contakt DVD preview.

Which was really good, that had a Q&A session with him and his head of visuals which was pretty cool. The DVD was a bit rough around the edges but I felt it apt as they are all about the music and not so much about making a DVD film ha ha.

He is apparently going back to Plastikman stuff this year as the Contakt series has come to an end. So I am looking forward to what he comes out with next ;)

16. purplex

purplex New Member

Plastikman & Derivative TouchDesigner contest

Derivative is pleased to announce the next-gen of their collaboration with techno-futurist Richie Hawtin who is unleashing PLASTIKMAN LIVE 2010 a much-anticipated series of live shows produced in collaboration with Minus & Derivative to launch at this year's Timewarp festival on March 27th, 2010.

The influential Plastikman performance at MUTEK 2004 was visually driven by Derivative's powerful software tool TouchDesigner enabling Richie to orchestrate sound and visual compositions generatively and in real time; the technology altering the course of how electronic music could be performed and experienced live.

That was then. With the current generation of TouchDesigner 077 completely reengineered, the team has built an information-rich bridge between Richie's Ableton Live rig and Derivative's TouchDesigner. Derivative will release the TouchDesigner-Live Bridge to its users this year. Hawtin's visual artist Ali Demirel has been working closely with Derivative's Jarrett Smith and Markus Heckmann in LA and Toronto to create the content and a custom performing interface for the shows.

Another Hawtin/Minus/Derivative collaboration invites the community to create their own visuals to original Plastikman tracks using TouchDesigner. Hawtin and Derivative have packaged and made available for download a complete toolset that includes a purpose-built TouchDesigner synth and four Plastikman tracks enabling participants with full support to produce visuals in the same real-time generative environment as the show's. Winning entries are to be incorporated into the live events. To read more about the contest please go to http://www.derivative.ca/Plastikman

17. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Commuting closer to the edit today :)

18. Dj TAB

Dj TAB Mr Whippy

I have this on the mothership, and can burn a copy if needed.....

Richie is talented as fuck, and the stuff he's been doing recently with Magda et al as Contakt is just as pioneering as when he started out...

19. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Isn't Magda much more minimal?

20. Dj TAB

Dj TAB Mr Whippy

Traktor Scratch too - lovely!

21. Dj TAB

Dj TAB Mr Whippy

22. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

a genius who has disappeared up his own arse in a puff of cocaine

23. Onket

A 'yes' or 'no' would have sufficed. :D

Can't view youtube at work.

24. themonkeyman

I tell you what she is though. Shockingly shit. I saw her at Ministry I reckong she fucked up about 6 mixes.

Not good when you are paying £27 a ticket.

25. Onket

I'm pretty sure I've seen/heard Magna at Fusion a few times. Pretty much all the stuff at Fusion was minimal.

26. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Thought I had just missed him play in London.
    Well I did, but it was only a 30 minute set at 'Canada Day' in Trafalgar Square on the 1st of July.
    Link Here

27. themonkeyman

He also played at the Shake It night at Village Underground with Layo and Bushwacka later that evening

28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Oooh, would like to have gone!

Clip from the Trafalgar Square set here -

29. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I got to the Trafalgar Square thing last Thursday - it was only half an hour but nice to see him dj :cool:
    I liked the plastikman logo instead of the maple leaf on his tshirt!

30. i'mnotsofast

i'mnotsofast Well-Known Member