1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plastikman / Richie Hawtin

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Badgers, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Always been a fan of Plastikman / Richie Hawtin since I was in my teens. Kind of lost track of him over recent years (shift from techno to folk :facepalm:) but been listening to his stuff tonight and still sounding good to me.

Sheet One was the first album that got me, but don't seem to be able to find my copy.

Mixmag Live! Volume 20 by Plastikman was another favourite

Still my favourite track is (youtube here)

Seen him many times and would like to see him again (for old times sake). Got to meet him (for about 60 seconds) at Club UK Final Frontier but I was not possibly at my most 'talky' at the time so did not get to make a good impression :rolleyes:

Any other fans here or is he pretentious wank to most people?

[​IMG]

:cool:

2. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

alphawave is amazing... i blogged it the other day if anyone wants an mp3 of it for their ipod or whatever

anyway, he's a very talented chap. not really been following him for a few years, mind...

ruffneck23 likes this.
  3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Some of his old stuff is good (like you've linked to here). The more recent stuff is incredibly tedious though.:(

4. killer b

he produced all his best stuff when he still lived at his mums, true. :D

ruffneck23 likes this.
  5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I did purchase the complete collection from eBay (not originals) a while ago and the more recent stuff leaned towards jazz :hmm:

It was not offensive music but was not really challenging me.

6. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

He is really good,
    his music is well moody at times,
    not that soulful for a near detroit producer,
    I saw him in a youtube video promoting Traktor
    and he seemed like a bit of a dick,
    but I still rate his productions and those mix cds like DE9 that he made

I was at a techno festival in france in the mid 90s,
    up all night on some mad lsd trip turned dark I was lying in my
    damp tent in the morning and all I could hear was most of sheet one being played in the distance,
    did my fucking swede in the bastards
    I wouldn't have it any other way :D

I haven't heard any of his recent music , just the old stuff

7. killer b

one of the best nights of my life was seeing hawtin dj at voodoo in liverpool, in about 1995? it was supposed to finish at two, but the crowd wouldn't let him stop. :D

8. cozmikbrew

cozmikbrew Bass case

Yeah hes done some wicked stuff,his Muzik lp was the soundtrack to many a mangled session,got a mix off Mixmag from 2005 which i play whilst chiilling a lot,im a sucker for 303 abuse so love his early stuff,still does it for me now though(occasionaly)

9. cozmikbrew

cozmikbrew Bass case

Saw him same year at The Orbit,blinding:)

10. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

May 1995 I was at Tribal Gathering watching him play (followed by Jeff Mills) and fell outside my head, landed in my own shoe and then cavorted off to the land of Narnia :)

11. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

I saw him at the first Atomic Jam in 1995. Pretty good from what I can remember (which isn't much!)

ruffneck23 likes this.
  12. DJ Squelch

DJ Squelch King Of Insides

I prefer his older stuff. still 2 of my favourite tunes, many great memories of dancing to these at parties in the early 90s.

13. cozmikbrew

cozmikbrew Bass case

I loved the Tribal Gatherings i went to,Mayhem!:D The 96 one was wicked for techno aswell.one with all the Detroit guys(which stopped so all the Detroit crew could watch Kraftwerk:D)an another wi Dave Clarke,Andy Weatherall,Steve Stoll,Hardfloor etc,dancing for hours in the carpark afterwards with some spanish folk who had the loudest car rig:DAaah:)

14. fen_boy

fen_boy Exits gracefully.

is my favourite.

15. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

his mixmag mix is one of the best ever.

listened to him play at lost once upon a while and his set was completely awesome, so rhythmic and funky and yet so stripped down and essential.

16. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Lost.....

heh :cool:

17. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I've not seen him live but I went to an evening at the ICA at the end last year where they were showing a documentary film of one of his recent world tours. he was also present and doing a Q&A. I went with an open mind about him but I thought he came across as being a really nice, approachable 'normal' guy.

18. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

I've seen him twice. Once at Sankey Soap in Manchester in the mid Nineties, once at the V festival, of all places, in the early 2000s.

Both were amazing, but that Sankey Soap show, in particular, was a bit of a watershed moment for me. I was still struggling to come to terms with this newfangled dance music, and I couldn't really sort out the difference between house and techno and electronica in my mind. I just hadn't been paying much attention really, I guess. And that night, I saw sets by Andrew Weatherall (downbeat electronica, interesting but not wildly exciting), either Derek May or Derek B (whoever it was, it was house, lots of wailing women in the tracks, and I hated it), and Richie Hawtin (absolutely incredible, almost went beyond music to just pure percussion. It was so dark and minimal and atmospheric and intense, amazing, amazing stuff). All of which helped me sort out what I liked and didn't like when it came to dance, and made me realise that I could have my mind blown by it, because I just had.

plurker likes this.
  19. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Spastik is one of the best pieces of electronic music ever written. It mixes into Steve Reich's 'Drumming' piece of classical. Not much techno you can do that with.

If you're looking for a good example of his dj-ing, Decks, Efx & 909 is a stunning mix.

20. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

I can lend you this, Badgers, if you fancy it (and I can find it).

21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I remember buying it
    I have not seen it for a while though
    If I can't find it I might take you up on that.

PM on way about other crap :)

22. dlx1

dlx1 Sitting by phone waiting for a call

F.U.S.E. - Richie Hawtin :oops: didn't know

was my fav still is. Good ablum Dimension Intrusion

23. speed-it-up

speed-it-up New Member

He's lost it now.
    Read an interview recently where he admitted as much.

24. hektik

hektik adhering to a paradigm

seen him about (does quick count...) 10-12 times DJ'ing: a couple of those he hasn't really hit the spot, but mostly been decent: a couple of times he has been absolutely outstanding: last year at sonar being one of those times, when it all just absolutely clicked for about an hour or so.

25. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Perhaps he has.
    When he had it though it was special.

26. speed-it-up

speed-it-up New Member

agreed

the whole clothing brand / ridiculous barnet thing just makes me a bit :facepalm: though

Apart from Substance Abuse I liked Public Energy, Three0Three and Robotman (Do tha Do) best, nice acid tracks. :)

27. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

magnificent album. saw him in Prague 'touring' it and met him (for nearly ten seconds) afterwards. Was most charming

28. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Just listening to him, aphex twin and derrick may (supposedly?) going a bit nuts at Fuse, fucking cool mix, worth tracking down!

Don't know much about his stuff tbh, got a nice pace though :)

29. zeedoodles

zeedoodles Member

He is going to tour this year as Plastikman - live:) If I still lived in the first world I would definatly go for old times sake.

Seen him at Tribal, Lost, Sabersonic, Drum Club etc etc etc.
    As with Jeff Mills the novelty wore off for me around 1994 having seen him far too much in a short space of time. Having said that I have seen lots of you tube clips over the past 6 months and personally I think he has moved on and found the funk;)

30. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Touring Europe? Would be interested in seeing him again if it is Plastikman. Doubt he will do many more of those.

Mills was a personal addiction for a long time. Like you I saw him everytime I could so did overdose on him a bit. Still have the occasional listen and also really like his gig with the Orchestra, the whole thing is complete on YouTube at the moment.

Best gig for me was the Axis Records birthday gig. Just a headbanger of a night.