Pixel 3 & 3 XL chat

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by cybershot, Aug 9, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

In come the video reviews

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's the official page. The 3 starts from $799 and the XL from $899 so way out of my price bracket.

This is good

Google Pixel 3: Make every day more extraordinary

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The camera was already class-leading and there's some useful stuff in here

4. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

The trick is. Don’t release a 512GB model and then you can’t charge that much as it doesn’t exist. ;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  5. cybershot

No headphone jack! :(

And that notch! :facepalm:

The pixel stand is $75!!!

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

As I said right from the start - the notch is crap and the lack of a headphone socket sucks on any phone. Being Android, there'll be no end of super cheap alternatives to the Pixel stand, not that I'll be buying one.

7. cybershot

To be fair, it’s pretty cool. But an accessory that basically is a google home dock for your phone should cost as much as the google home mini (£50) if not less. In my opinion.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well, you're getting Google Home *and* a wireless charging dock. And I'd be surprised if you won't be able to pick it up for less than £70 after a while.

9. cybershot

To put things into context with the price. And no doubt the specs are probably better on the pixel 3, you certainly get a better camera but The iPhone xr at 64gb storage As apples base competitor. Costs less.

10. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

They’re definitely putting a lot of effort into promoting the camera - eg partnering with Annie Leibovitz and
    I mean sure this doesn’t actually say anything about the camera apart from “google really wants to promote it” but maybe, in a world where there are increasingly few obvious differences between phones in terms of hardware, cameras (and their software) are one of the few distinguishing factors.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

With favourable lighting and a talented photographer, I'd say it's been possible to create magazine quality on all sorts of phones for years on end.

That said, the camera in the last Pixel was one of the very best, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Pixel 3 has the best mobile camera EVAH!

12. dfm

dfm help I'm alive

*watches Pixel 2 prices*

donkyboy and Badgers like this.
  13. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Yeah, a basic phone camera certainly has the basic power to do a magazine cover, plus all these magazine shoots (and I'm pretty sure I've heard of it being done before) will have full studio lighting, auxiliary lenses and a lot of photoshop too - and people who know how to play to the phone's strengths.

It's an interesting marketing move though, with both Google and Apple trying really hard to promote the cameras on their phones. There used to be a "premium compact" market of high-spec but easy-to-use cameras basically for rich (or aspirational) people. Now that phones have taken over the market that compacts previously had, maybe it's a similar group being chased.

editor likes this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ohm the charger is rather clever:

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's the promo

16. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam. Enforced Holiday Banned

Absolutely fucking hideous.

17. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

John Gruber, Daring Fireball:

“I watched the Made by Google keynote video, and was in New York yesterday for some hands-on time with their new products. Nicole Nguyen’s summary of the Pixel 3 is the best I’ve seen — really does capture just about everything you should know about it. She’s got a video of the new Call Screening feature in action — man oh man, do I want that feature on iOS.”

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Simpler than that, it's the only remaining hardware function that's still got any meaningful development left in it, and thus the only straightforward product differentiator, or 'thing to sell'.

There's a little more going on in the world of device-bundled software but to a fair extent, and a growing one, you can just wait for that and it'll eventually arrive on older hardware. By the time that really stops happening and you feel like you're missing out on things, the device is probably worn out.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Interesting piece -
    Why Google’s Pixel phones matter

22. dfm

dfm help I'm alive

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Out of my price range, sadly.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Shot on a Pixel 3 apparently. Could probably do the same with a load of current high end phones.

25. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

John Gruber, who does the Daring Fireball blog, was a very big thumbs up on the computational photography.

He went to the launch, and in his last podcast was gushing about the top photo feature.

Gruber normally covers Apple stuff.