Pixel 3 & 3 XL chat

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by cybershot, Aug 9, 2018 at 8:12 PM.

1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Hmm, the 3.5 jack fits in tight into the adapter (at least with the iPhone supplied one) so it would be pretty hard to lose on the move in my opinion, it's literally like a small extension of the existing lead, it's not going to come loose unless it's tugged with force. The only way you're going to lose it is when you misplace it after using the headphones as normal.

Again, depending on how much of an audiophile you actually are, and I'm wondering if anyone in this thread that uses wired headphones actually has a pair that are so expensive you use religiously on your commutes, just have an extra pair that's used with the phone.

I have wired headphones at work, and wireless ones at work, I have loads of wired headphones at home, and 2 wireless pairs at home. None of these headphones cost me anymore than £20.

No one really goes out knowing they are going to be using their phone loads with less than 50% charge, and if you do, you probably already carry a powerbank, so it's horses for courses.

Also the Pixel 2, didn't have a headphone jack did it? Amazing that 12 months on, next model of phone on, and this is still more of a sour point than that fucking ugly notch!

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Strange how having a lumpy adaptor on your earphone lead or earphones that only work for 5 hours and sound worse than cheaper ones can be promoted as some sort of improvement.

3. cybershot

My main point was, that if you go out with a phone less than 50% charged and lose juice, you ain't going to be listening to music full stop, wired or not wired headphones. I think in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather have wireless headphones and a powerbank that can charge either when it comes to it.

4. salem

salem Well-Known Member

I think airplane mode on my phone turns off bluetooth anyway so your bluetooth headset is useless even if charged.

5. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I'm still using
    You can probably re-enable just the Bluetooth...

6. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

It's the smallest of inconveniences really, far outweighed by not being tethered to a handset. Personally speaking.

7. UnderAnOpenSky

I'm ditching wires at some point, the only reason I havnt yet is just don't use headphones that much.

However I'm curious what advantage does it give the manufacturers? Its not like it takes up much space. Makes it easier to waterproof?

8. cybershot

I was using the wired lightning headphones with the iPhone X to start with, and I decided to buy some wireless ones to just test with. I now have 3 pairs, 2 at home (one sports, one overears) and a pair at work. I haven't looked back since.

Especially commuting on trains, no more bag getting in the way of cable, no more being careful moving my head around and them popping out my ears because the cable has got caught in my bag or pocket or whatever. No cable in the way at keyboards, I can just go to the loo, with headphones still in.

The benefits outweigh the battery recharge situation, which is only an issue if you're travelling longer than 4 hours, then yes, I'd have the wired ones on backup. Battery on the iPhone X isn't really an issue, coming close to 12 months, more apps, more use, system updates, more stuff using bluetooth, it hardly takes a dent.

If I was out all day commuting, needing to use GPS if I was in a city I'm not used to, then again, I'd probably also equip myself with a powerbank. Odds are on a journey like this, I'm going to have a bag of some sort on me, so storage isn't an issue. I can charge the headphones when I'm not listening, they don't take long to charge, and if I want to charge the phone, I can do that while back on the commute or after the headphones. I think people make the no headphone jack more of an inconvenience to themselves.

It really is the smallest of inconveniences, and if you're a heavy commuter, you're probably carrying a powerbank anyway. Android user, it's the same cable as what charges your phone, so what extra are you really carrying about with you? Potentially Nothing! At worse, a spare spare of USB-C/Lightning headphones. Not much of a chore, unless you have to have the massive over ear ones, but most of those fold up now and take up minimum storage.

Unless you're a proper man's man of course, and everything you ever need on you, should be able to fit in your jean pockets! then yeah, you're probably fucked.

UnderAnOpenSky and skyscraper101 like this.
  9. cybershot

iPhone X it turns bluetooth off, but allows you turn it back on, while still being in airplane mode. I believe the olny actual time you need to be in airplane mode these days is during landing and taking off, at which point the air stewards make everyone take out their headphones anyway.

10. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

Yeah, easier to waterproof, and opens up a bit of extra space - which is obviously at a premium in modern mobiles.

Some might also argue that it allows certain phenomenally wealthy companies the opportunity to flog more high priced accessories to their already indentured customers.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Comparably speaking, Bluetooth earphones offer worse sound quality than wired ones.

5 Reasons not to buy Bluetooth headphones

12. UnderAnOpenSky

Suspect most people would struggle to notice the difference.

As for reliability I use Bluetooth loads, to the car and to a speaker. Can't say I've noticed any issues, be suprised if it was different with headphones.

PursuedByBears likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've got a Bluetooth speaker at home and it wigs out a bit sometimes. No big deal as such but if I want to really take in a new album, I'll play it through the wired hi fi.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  14. UnderAnOpenSky

Sure. All my proper stereo kit is so old and second hand that it was made before, Bluetooth and MP3s were even a thing.

Anyways way I feel is that Bluetooth headphones are the future, despite their inconveniences, but it doesn't mean the manufacturers have to dump the port. Much as I feel about SD cards. I probably store less locally these days, but I'm glad I've got it. I'm more annoyed about loss removable batteries. Not because I'm ever going to carry round a load to change in a field, but I plan to hold on to my phones longer then very well hammered lithium batteries charge cycles.

15. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

The immediate future, sure.

But now the old way has been broken, expect to see lots of new standards popping up. What's that, you've only got Bluetooth 4.2 headphones? Nah, they don't want on the Pixel 7, you'll need AptX+HAR convertor, or just buy a new pair. Oh and they won't work on the iPhone 2X10, as that uses AppleTooth now....etc., etc.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well that's another thing. Because of the finite life of batteries, Bluetooth earphones come with built in obsolescence (listen to the cheers of the manufacturers!), unlike wired earphones which can, more or less, go on forever. More waste and more expenditure sure seems like a rubbish future.

17. UnderAnOpenSky

Yeah. I'm not in the market for high end ones though so can live with that on a personal level, but tech is increasingly wasteful. I'll change the battery on my S8 and guess that will be easier enough to get done, but what about my Chromebook and other tech? My Bluetooth speaker, my hands free ear piece, my ecigs. The list goes on...

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think yout laptop will be good for quite a few years yet - and you can always run it off the mains if the batteries fuck up - but those tiny batteries on Bluetooth earphones start from a position of a pretty awful battery life, and once that's diminished, they become totally useless.

cybershot likes this.