Pitching for a job on spec.

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by spanglechick, Jan 31, 2018.

1. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Due to various admin upheavals, we as a school have decided to move some of our performing arts courses to a new exam board. They're a fairly new organisation but these courses are brand new for them.

And they are royally fucking up.

Their reputation in the sector is a disaster, they are failing to supply even basic support materials, (like, a list of paperwork they want to see and when - let alone the actual forms themselves). They offer no training, their website is a hot mess, getting answers to queries is almost impossible... they don't even have a Wikipedia page.

I keep running into the same thought process: they need to employ someone better at their job, and I would be a very good candidate.

So my question is, what next? Do I write? Email? Phone? Who do I speak to?

In the initial contact, how much detail do I go into in pointing out their problems?

The company is more arty than corporate, I suspect.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

you could put yourself forward as a repairer of reputations :cool:

Badgers likes this.
  3. spanglechick

Well yes.

I was hoping some of our more "go getter" corporate types could offer experience of doing this.

4. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

What kind of company is it? (who owns it, size, structure, etc)

muscovyduck and Badgers like this.
  5. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

A few random thought (from no real position of expertise)

- Is the reason they are fucking up because they haven't got someone in post who is any good, or is there something structural wrong i.e. a problem of management that you would also have to deal with?

- You need to identify the person(s) who wields the power as far as the issues you are talking about are concerned and convince them that you are bringing a solution that will take all these problems off their hands and win them more work. Do you know who that is?

- A way in might be to base some advice on your present relationship (being careful of course about the sensitivities of conflict of interest etc.) So presumably it would benefit both parties if you could make suggestions about how to make the relationship work better. In doing that, you will get a better idea of who is in charge and whether it's a place you want to work, without jeopardising your current position.

Hope that is helpful.

muscovyduck and spanglechick like this.
  6. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

If they are a disaster, personally, I'd stay clear! The problems will stem from the top, not the bottom!

pug, emanymton, muscovyduck and 2 others like this.
  7. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Yeah this.

Why would you want to walk into such a mess voluntarily?...and likely for a pay cut and less holidays too?

muscovyduck likes this.
  8. spanglechick

I wouldn't do it for a pay cut. And because I can't do another twenty odd years as a middle leader. I don't want to go into slt, but I'm not ready to stagnate.

A380 likes this.
  9. spanglechick

Yesssss. I kind of get that. But they are offering something there is huge demand for, if they could just sort out the basics.

10. spanglechick

Private company. Has grown from promoting music projects in schools to setting up as an exam board three or four yrs ago. Initially just for music.

Very hard to get company info / structure from their own website.

A380 and BlueSquareThing like this.
  11. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

:hmm:

with a lot of small / private companies, the qualifications for getting anything other than 'pleb' grade jobs tend to be being a family member / family member by marriage / friend of the owner...

12. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

It sounds to me like it'd be a better idea to set up as a competitor. How feasible is that?

pug and moochedit like this.
  13. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

I'm still trying to think of a tactful way to pitch this.

I've got as far as

Dear Cockwombles

It is bloody obvious that your organisation is a bloody shambles.

You need someone who knows what day of the week it is to sort it out.

I think I would be an ideal candidate, and my CV is attached.

I look forward to hearing from you.

:p

14. spanglechick

Entirely not.

15. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

I'm not an expert but my gut feeling is to send off a speculative job application to the company, bigging yourself up and tailor the application to exactly the job role that you think they'd need to sort the mess out. Obviously also loads of stuff about how much you want to make the move into exam boards. I wouldn't do too much "you desperately need my help, this is why", but leave them to put 2 and 2 together and go, oh my god, this lady is the answer to our prayers, how *did* she fall into our lap at exactly the right time. If you get an interview with them then you can tactfully raise some of the issues you've had, maybe. Does that make sense? That would be my approach, anyway.

muscovyduck and spanglechick like this.
  16. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Look at their accounts on company’s house website it will list directors names.

And you’ll be able to see who has been a director all along and is therefore a founder.

Alex

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  17. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Yes to what Alex_ said- find out director's names. Call and ask to speak to one (not a random spec email/letter unless you find personal email address- odds are they'll never see it) Give them a shit sandwich- love x, huge opportunity, I've been watching your development with interest and it strikes me that there are a few things you could do to be even more impactful etc. I'd love to be part of your success. And then assumptive close- when can we meet to talk about it.

Likelihood is they say not interested. So then go back in a month or so and say have they had a chance to think and breadcrumb them with something about what you could bring- if you did x (materials for example) it could have y impact. I'd really love to discuss my ideas.

That's what I'd do if I really wanted to work somewhere or with someone

spanglechick likes this.
  18. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

I wouldn't have thought an exam board would be that kind of company.

19. spanglechick

Fab advice. Thanks.

20. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

This is a much better idea than mine.

21. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Find the director(s) on LinkedIn.

Don't be too critical of their company but send a message saying you'd like to help them take the next step in their companies journey.

22. spanglechick

I guess I could sign up and check if they're on there.

23. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Was also going to suggest looking on LinkedIn to see if they have any people on there.

Might they also have a Facebook page? I wouldn't send a message to them through it but it might be more up to date than a website.

24. spanglechick

No, the fb page is only really about other aspects of the business.

25. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

They really do sound all over the place. I think you would be great at sorting them out.

8115 likes this.
  26. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

If it's the organisation I think it could be, then I know very well that the head of music at my school is being "encouraged" by the suits to run one of their courses (possibly their only course - I don't know) and absolutely feels the same sort of way as you do. To the extent that she's refusing to do it pretty hard.
    As far as I can tell they're losing business directly as a result of looking like they haven't got a clue what they're doing.

spanglechick likes this.
  27. spanglechick

Sounds familiar!

28. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

This - the CH website has been completely overhauled in recent years and is very useful. Worth tracking what other companies directors might currently be or have previously been involved with as well.

Companies House service

29. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yes, doesn’t require a sign up it a complete piece of piss - you could even google “companies house company name” and it’ll probably be to top hit unless they have a ridiculous name.

Worst case use google to find their company number “company name company number” ( you actually type in “company number” you don’t know it at this point !) and then search on companies house using their company number.

Alex

scifisam likes this.
  30. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

They're also, if what I heard today is right, ripe for a darned good kicking from Ofqual at some point fairly soon. Once they've finished with Travel and Tourism.

That might also be worth pointing out to them - this sort of organisation needs to get it's house in order and make sure that their stuff is actually hard enough to impress the DfE suits rather than just trying to con as many schools as possibly be appearing to be easy.