Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

pioneer cdj 800 or 1000+?

evildacat

bunchie‑santa.gif
Got may hands on a lovely Allen and heath xone 62 mixer and though I would like to get the 1000s ( well ideally the nexus ) there a little out of my price range atm.

Would someone be kind enough to explain the main sacrifices in compromising to the 800s please ? Does this greatly effect the mp3 abilities compared to what the 1000s can do for example ?

evildacat

bunchie‑santa.gif
So helpful, I assume that's a turntable ? I just cannot justify getting another media addiction with vinyl.

Any one who uses cdjs and knows the differences some info would be appreciated,

Boycey

juvenile rave slut
there's a case for using the versions which can't handle mp3s so some numpty can't come and play 96kbps youtube rips through your rig but i'm a neanderthal in that respect.

evildacat

bunchie‑santa.gif
there's a case for using the versions which can't handle mp3s so some numpty can't come and play 96kbps youtube rips through your rig but i'm a neanderthal in that respect.
From the limited knowledge and understanding I have on this equipment would you agree the 800mk2 is good starting point giving a little of the 1000 while being able to use and get used to not relying upon the machine to mix for you?

evildacat

bunchie‑santa.gif
This would be a 400 or below I think then? And would you just have to consider the cost of these a write off once you got used to them and wanted to expand in terms or recoup of the money spent on them?

Boycey

juvenile rave slut
tbh if i were buying such equipment i'd get 1000mk3 minimum as they could pay for themselves in hireouts within a few months. the only things i actually myself start with a twelve and end with a ten, or hundred.

evildacat

bunchie‑santa.gif
This is the ones I have been after the 1000mk3 but they are a min of 3-4 times the price of the 800, suppose its a catch 22? either I wait till I can afford them or buy the 800 then want to upgrade and take the loss?

sim667

Licking windows on the 303 bus.
I don't think the 800's support RJ45 or HID which is what would put me off.

HID is whats slowly replacing midi, so you can use them with serato or traktor without having to use timecode...... whether you'd want to do that I don't know, but its certainly worth considering.

RJ45 is the protocol that allows one deck to share the others USB port..... i.e. so someone could play off one usb stick rather than 2. Again I don't know how that effects you, but it may be worth considering.

Personally if you're going to hire them out (have i got that right?) I'd spend the extra bit of cash and get 2 second hand cdj2000 nexus..... Although expensive, they're industry standard profession model and have a much better build quality, and its what people who want to hire them will be looking for.

You seem to be talking about MP3 mainly. Does this mean you want to use them with a computer and not hire them out?

skyscraper101

0891 50 50 50
There doesn't seem to be a lot in it so it depends how you'll use them, but the 1000s seem to have the ability to hot cue while in reverse or loop which is something I dig anyway.

evildacat

bunchie‑santa.gif
I don't think the 800's support RJ45 or HID which is what would put me off.

HID is whats slowly replacing midi, so you can use them with serato or traktor without having to use timecode...... whether you'd want to do that I don't know, but its certainly worth considering.

RJ45 is the protocol that allows one deck to share the others USB port..... i.e. so someone could play off one usb stick rather than 2. Again I don't know how that effects you, but it may be worth considering.

Personally if you're going to hire them out (have i got that right?) I'd spend the extra bit of cash and get 2 second hand cdj2000 nexus..... Although expensive, they're industry standard profession model and have a much better build quality, and its what people who want to hire them will be looking for.

You seem to be talking about MP3 mainly. Does this mean you want to use them with a computer and not hire them out?
I have thousands of cds and terrorbites of mps just makes sense as getting that in vinyl will be five figures easy

sim667

I have thousands of cds and terrorbites of mps just makes sense as getting that in vinyl will be five figures easy
Oh yeah...... makes sense. I only ever buy reggae on vinyl (and a couple of other albums I really like).

Everything else is just on mp3 on laptop and Ive got a midi controller, I can't be faffed with cd's and USB sticks.

evildacat

bunchie‑santa.gif
Just wanna start off with a few cdj's practice mixing then be able to load mps on the cdj to play, then when I have gotten cometant at that I can think of adding laptop/ableton etc.

What you reckon to the Allen&Heath xone 62 mixer?

sim667

Just wanna start off with a few cdj's practice mixing then be able to load mps on the cdj to play, then when I have gotten cometant at that I can think of adding laptop/ableton etc.

What you reckon to the Allen&Heath xone 62 mixer?
Allen and Heath mixers are some of the top end ones, but I've only ever used one, and its at the volks in brighton. I can't remember what model it is

Have you looked at the CDJ 850's rather than the 800? They have HID which is much better than timecode when it comes to latency etc later, if you want to bring a laptop into the mix

evildacat

bunchie‑santa.gif
No there don't seem to be many about, the 950 the replacement? Would love the 2000nexus but that's a dream.
800 are cheap but no resale value and the 1000 are about £500 min for a mr3 pair second hand.

sim667

as little as possible tbh, have resigned to paying 5-600 for a pair of 1000's
Well with the 800's or the 1000's if you ever want to include a laptop, you'd have to spend about £2-300 more to get them to work with a laptop.

Im assuming you don't want to hire any of this equipment out to people right?

evildacat

bunchie‑santa.gif
Yeah won't be hiring by the time I get to laptop stage will upgrade to nexus ideally.

Took me months to find that mixer under 300 with flight case .

evildacat

bunchie‑santa.gif
Would you recomenf mixing model types up or sticking to the same model ? Such as an 800 900 and a 2000 ?

evildacat

bunchie‑santa.gif
If someone who is experienced with cdj format set ups would you be as kind to pm that would be appreCiated

evildacat

bunchie‑santa.gif

ffsear

Technics 1210s

Next :)

As much as i want to agree, I really do. Technics just aren't up to the job anymore. (unless your a real beat juggling turntable-ist).

Having viciously defended my 1200's and vinyl for years, its just not practical anymore. Hooking up an analog input to a digital system just sounds so bad these days compared with what pioneers.