Pink Floyd. Why?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by butchersapron, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Volume One

Volume One New Member

67 - Novel, interesting, great if you're into Syd's thing.
    68 - 72 The Pink Floyd.
    73 - 75 Classic, but christ, you used to have a smile on your face. Should have ended with Wish You Were Here.
    76/77 Animals: very good, but really it's just Wish You Were Here's b-side.
    78 - 83 The Roger Waters show. Waffle over everything, yeah that'll be great Rog.
    84 - 94 Dire Straits
    2014 Horse tranquilisers. Just the demos would have been better, you didn't have to make them into that.

The three left should do a reunion, but just forget about having to be Pink Floyd. They could come out and play a set of blues covers or something they'd actually enjoy, with the house lights on. That would be more Pink Floyd than unpacking the warehouses and inflating the pigs every time. It's like the Beatles doing that Q cover, with a special wardrobe person to make them look Beatlesy. See also: putting tomato ketchup on tomatoes.

2. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Nick Mason recently said he would be happy to do a reunion but both Waters and Gilmour seem to be doing ok as it is.
    I would not like to see a reunion, they are too old, past their best and no Rick Wright. I am very happy to remember
    them the way they were and have very good memories of seeing them a few times, which were greatky stirred by
    the V&A exhibition.
    Very uncomfortably and contracdictory things were mentioned, but hey ho, superb music, great band.

3. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

A Mongoilan pink floyd tribute band .?.. I was amused at first ...ended up watching the whole thing through...

Chilli.s, weltweit and hash tag like this.
  4. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Never like them after See Emily Play . Spent years avoiding stoned hippies who kept on trying to synchronise Dark Side of the Moon with the Wizard of Oz to sow up the ' the case cruise in the field' . Hated the message ' we don't need no education' sung by degree holding megastars.

planetgeli likes this.
  5. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Degree holding megastar...rules out Genesis. Yes and a few more besides.......

6. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

I ain’t got not stinking degree.

Ain’t no megastar either.

But like Genesis did, I do live in Godalming.

7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Charterhouse boys I believe...must be early Genesis, not the later dummed down stuff.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  8. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

It’s more about the indoctrination and viciousness of the education system than against academic achievement imo.

hot air baboon likes this.
  9. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Echoes with the end of 2001 is pretty good actually

Voley likes this.
  10. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

Saw the thread. Thought it was a wind up - butchers doesn’t listen to music.

Read the OP. All is well.

11. S☼I

S☼I I don't want your poxy mint

Always hated them. The enemy, basically

12. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Can a Pink Floyd fan please explain why they never played the Nile Song live? If I'm mistaken and they did play it, can you please point me towards a decent soundboard live recording which contains that song?

13. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Not a massive fan really... though I think their best stuff, is, err, up there with the best..

I was oblivious to the 'Live in Pompeii' documentary/footage... who can seriously argue with this as seminal footage from the golden age of rock? :confused:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    BassJunkie likes this.
  14. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

I think the only Pink Floyd album I can remember listening to in its entirety is The Division Bell. I thought it was pretty good.

15. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I rarely listen to Pink Floyd now, but any album up to Animals I'm fine with, particularly the very early (Barrett) ones, but Dark Side and Wish You Were have rocked my boat more, on many occasions.

Never liked The Wall very much. Later than that stuff, I actively hated.

clicker and pogofish like this.
  16. TruXta

TruXta tired

I still stand by this.

17. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Heh, I saw this at the cinema when it came out ...

18. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Just watched that again. In retrospect, Can pulled that stuff off far better.

I'd never heard of Can when I saw that though.

pogofish likes this.
  19. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

More was a Soundtrack so perhaps they didn’t tour with it; although given it was released around the time of Ummagumma they may have been better off playing that instead.

This is an interesting read which mostly sways between sardonic and scathing.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/all-165-pink-floyd-songs-ranked-from-worst-to-best.html

Hollis and Casual Observer like this.
  20. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Nick Mason's book is good.

Never even heard of it before but saw it in the library today and opened it randomly. ''I don't think Roger knows quite how alarming he is'' was the first thing I read and that piqued my interest. Started it when I got home from work and have just put it down. I'm up to Syd leaving already. I like his style - he's possibly the most sober of them and has the benefit of being able to remember most of it. And quite wry; he's good at gently pointing out some of the more outrageous aspects of his band mates. I'm looking forward to his take on Roger Waters' megalomania.

21. Volume One

Volume One New Member

They did a cracking version here; Roger's looking a bit rough though:

belboid likes this.
  22. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

You probably knew it already but that's Shirley Temple's daughter playing Roger.

Volume One likes this.
  23. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I half enjoyed the V&A thing, but rapidly lost interest in the show when we got to The Wall. Hurriedly exited stage left at that point. Not keen on earphones, and the whole interactive shtick that seems to come with the territory these days.

Not like the Ramones Museum in Berlin, I think we were given a six-pack to neck as we wandered around.

oryx likes this.
  24. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

That reminds you of what Pink Floyd are not - even their own version sort of reminds you of what they aren't as a band. The idea of rock and other forms of popular music being the background to sex, dancing and hedonism. As well as the knowing poshness of their early albums, they've always seemed a bit bloodless to me. I did like them as a kid, though I lost interest around wish you were here, but could never get too passionate about them.

Volume One and hipipol like this.
  25. Volume One

Volume One New Member

Buzz has said since something along the lines of, "well, that's what she said, anyway..."

26. Volume One

Volume One New Member

The big give away on their own version is Gilmour's ad-libbing at the end of the song: "Oh my goodness!"

27. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

If you liked The Division Bell try Meddle, Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals or Atom Heart Mother. Especially the first three.

I enjoyed the exhibition but as marshall said lost interest a bit in The Wall section - not their finest album. I particularly enjoyed the bits about their early life and Cambridge, as I used to live there. People used to go on about Syd Barrett and spotting him - poor sod no doubt just wanted to live a quiet life in anonymity...

NoXion and Voley like this.
  28. William of Walworth

29. William of Walworth

And my brother (Cambridge resident since the eighties) actually did know where he and his mum lived ....

Apparantly SB in his later years was seen wandering round Strawberry Fair on quite a few occasions, but I'm not sure whether that's really true, or just local Cambridge chat.

I've been at SF very many times, but given the various states I and friends habitually got into, I very much doubt I'd have recognised Syd even if I'd bumped into him! :oops:

30. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT