Pink Floyd. Why?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by butchersapron, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Andrew Hertford

Andrew Hertford Chocolate Jesus

No, come on, the man who invented World music singing Dark Side of the Moon? What's not to like?

The Floyd did some great music and Gabriel had a brilliant voice. I've just had him sing 'Shine on....' in my head instead of Waters and it was awesome.

2. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

:hmm:

3. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

Worse than Hitler and the Hitlers.

Schmetterling likes this.
  4. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Peter Gabriel can't fucking sing.

5. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Worst backing band ever. :(

Schmetterling likes this.
  6. Wilf

Certainly takes a sledgehammer to crack a nut. :oops:

7. xenon

What does invented worldmusic mean? Actually fuck it I hate the phrase world music.

8. Andrew Hertford

Andrew Hertford Chocolate Jesus

So? Neither can Nick Cave, Mark E Smith or Bob Dylan.

9. xenon

I'm quite warming to the name actually. they should be an appalling lounge jazz punk combo.

10. Wilf

xenon likes this.
  11. xenon

Reminds me I need to find my repo man soundtrack.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Unreleased single unearthed.

Sounds a bit like The Libertines!

13. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Eh? Vegetable man is really well known isn't it?. The jamc had it as the b-side of their first single in 84/85? Subway sect also covered it well before i think.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've just officially released it. Or so they said on the radio.

15. butchersapron

OK, odd timing, but you know, up to them.

16. butchersapron

It's one of their's i do like.

17. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

the first single i bought with my own money was, i'm proud to say, ''do nothing'' by the specials.
    the first single i asked for though, before i got pocket money, was, to my eternal shame and embarrasment, 'another brick in the wall'.
    i saw it on the telly and thought i'm gonna fucking destroy the fourth year junior disco with that. i asked my dad to buy it, he did. i played it a couple of times but it was a bit shit. i played the b side for half a minute or less before fucking it off. still, i thought, gonna be fucking atomic at the disco.
    i got there early, rushed up to the wanky music teacher/hippy/dj, thinking there was no way she would play it if she had heard it, which she wouldn't have cos she was old. anyway, i was beaten to it by paul fidoe, whos clothes were shit. all denim, jeans and waistcoat. that's when i started to think things were wrong.
    anyway, i was expecting all the teachers to be in a state of shock, wailing and gnashing of teeth, then just fucking off in shame, or summat.
    they didn't give a fuck. mr smith with his ginger curly hair groovin away at the side of the sports hall. i have never been so ashamed of my own foolishness in all my life. it angers me to this day. do not trust musicians or teachers. they're all in it together.

18. killer b

There's a new box set out with loads of previously unreleased stuff on, which is where this 'new' song is from. Includes some *actually* unheard rejected free improv soundtrack stuff, David toop wrote about it in the wire the other day. Just a sec

19. killer b

20. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Things like Ummagumma can be hard to get into but what about

or (unfortunate Liverpool connotations)

21. I like Piper At the Gates of Dawn and Ummagumma.

rest is dogshit for the most part.

DSOTM is terrible and don't get me started on the wall.

Yuck.

22. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

As a former surfer there's only one that always gets me. Echoes and the film Crystal Voyager. Of course Dark Side does it every time regardless.

23. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

PF is like an aural migrane for me now. Awful Awful Awful Awful self indulgent weak bombastic toss that makes Tommy sound like Don Giovanni

24. killer b

I bow to no-one in my distaste for pink floyd, but admit that some of the long space-rock jams are ok - one of these days, careful with that axe eugene, set the controls for the heart of the sun, interstellar overdrive... there's probably a few more.

25. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

Have you seen the Live In Pompeii film? Most of those you mention, played live ;)
    I love it. Really atmospheric.

dessiato and clicker like this.
  26. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

I saw Astronomy Domine on one of these BBC music video compilation shows the other week and it still blows me away. It's absolutely perfect. The intro with those opening chops and with the radio blaring over the top while the keyboard and bass hammer out a single chord tells you that this is either going to be something very special or some piece of absolute cheese. But then the chord doesn't change but collapses into something like a diminished 7th and the effect is like a coiled spring and when the resolution comes its this chromatic scale (woo, woo, woo,...). And then the slide guitar cuts up and down and hits something strange (I think it might be our diminished 7th friend again) and the keyboards get it just right (Wright and Barrett play off each other wonderfully on all these early records). The drumming is simple and effective, the bass is a bit pedestrian. But it's not about egos, nobody is doing anything very complicated, it's just that insane composition and conveying it's sheer power. There's an element of AMM in there, an element of jazz and an element of minimalism but most of all there's an element of the Shadows. It seems to have left American rock and roll behind it and moved onto to something both alien and English.

Music is so often a manipulative affair. This is what it's about and this is what you are supposed to feel, and this sequence of chords will do the trick. Astronomy Domine doesn't tell you what to feel, it doesn't even successfully convey the wonders of the solar system - Barrett seems to be just reading names out of an astronomy text book. I think the tendency for most sophisticated bands of the time (and now for that matter) was to create a more layered emotional story. You can see that with the Kinks and with Dylan for example - various depths of irony with cool observation and of course this is what Pink Floyd ended up doing in a more hamfisted manner. But this is something else. Direct, simple, deliberately abstracted from human affairs, escapist, different and magical. It hangs there defying resolution returning autonomy to the listener.

I love that tune.

27. killer b

did you read the wire article I linked to above Knotted ? They get compared to AMM there too, although not favourably...

28. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

I read about half of it. I knew they were influenced by AMM. I imagine the use of the radio was a nod to AMM.

Pink Floyd were very tame in comparison to AMM though. Their space jams are worth it because of the interaction between Barrett and Wright. They weren't a noise-improv group. The rhythm section always remained stubbornly terrestrial.

I will definitely be looking up those John Latham recordings though. I'm even quite excited about it.

29. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

It was widely bootlegged, but never officially released until now.

30. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Their Mortal Remains has been extended to 15 October 2017 and is well worth a visit V&A · Pink Floyd: Their Mortal Remains
    A very emotional exhibition to say the least.....if you are not moved by it, you have no musical soul.

Well over 50 years old now, Dark Side is 45! Jees.

oryx and Riklet like this.