Pink Floyd. Why?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by butchersapron, Dec 12, 2012.

1. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

let us run away and be married.

2. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

my god.

3. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Just that one.

4. butchersapron

You have no god, you have an open mind. :cool:

5. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

i think i've won urban75.

S☼I, JimW and xslavearcx like this.
  6. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Casting his shadow weaving his spell

7. killer b

people will be speaking of this moment in hushed tones for years to come.

discokermit likes this.
  8. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

If the cast of Do They Know it's Christmas 3 string Bono and Geldoff up, whilst giving Midge Ure at least a Chinese Burn, I'll happily buy the single myself. 'Feeeeeed, the Wor-ld....'

9. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

10. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

Their recorded output went shit with the soundtrack to More and the single Point me at the Sky. Around 1969. Not many people would disagree with that assessment either. They were a psychedelic band who were first and foremost a live band who could improvise, extend their songs, create a lot of noise and generally entertain acid heads but they hadn't really got the hang of producing albums until Meddle (1971) (Barrett era singles are cute, though). Interstella Overdrive, which for me is the pinnacle of their achievement, lacks energy on the album. After 1969 they evolved into dramatic concept album rock for people with expensive stereos and who like expensive stage shows which I don't care for but a lot of people like. It's not a matter of purism it's a matter of chalk and cheese. I prefer music which excites (however poorly) to music that washes over you (however well). Atom Heart and Meddle are the turning points where they do these well produced songs, side long tracks and dreamy guitar solos. They're either the start or the end depending on your preference.

For me the important thing about Pink Floyd was Syd Barrett's guitar. Not even his song writing. His guitar playing. The rhythm section were uninteresting, but they could create atmosphere eg. on Set the Controls and the opening parts of Saucerful. The keyboard was a good complement to the guitar. Dave Gilmore was an adequate replacement. Pioneering stuff. Other bands (eg. Tangerine Dream) did it better.

Wilf likes this.
  11. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

Fish Rising is a cracking album. Better than anything by PF.

Wilf likes this.
  12. killer b

the barrett-era stuff is ok, but it's pretty by-numbers psych. If Floyd hadn't become the bloated hideous behemoth they became after he quit, the barret stuff would be a fairly insignificant footnote. As it is, it's elevated in importance much beyond it's actual musical worth.

el-ahrairah likes this.
  13. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

you cannot deny that games without frontiers has an excellent whistle section

Wilf and savoloysam like this.
  14. butchersapron

You're not helping.

discokermit and Wolfie Smith like this.
  15. savoloysam

savoloysam Won an argument on the internetz once.

Damn right. Fucking awesome album. That, Meddle and Piper are my three favorites.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  16. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

fucking hell dottie. steady on.

17. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

pop will eat itself covered games without frontiers. even they couldn't polish that turd.

18. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy Banned

i listened to a few tracks today, not bad easy listening....if thats what you're into!

19. Wilf

I'll grant you Solsbury Hill, but his faux Cockney riffs in horrors like this - shudder:

20. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

I saw a Ozric tentacles at the fleece in Bristol a couple of years ago out of curiosity more than anything. I also like some Pink Floyd. Wish you were here, dark side of the moon, the wal l that old one with interstellar overdrive on it and I like 80s metallica. Shit it's all over for me isn't it.:D

Wilf likes this.
  21. Wilf

No, no, there's a tentative raising of heads above parapets on this thread.

savoloysam likes this.
  22. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

....wouldn't have minded knocking this one out...

23. Wilf

Saw him at a couple of free festivals, late 70s. Mind, Gong is a step too far.

24. fucthest8

fucthest8 Almost none of you want to discuss anything.

savoloysam and Wilf like this.
  25. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

there may be worse to come... Not from me you understand, the rest of my music tastes are impeccable.:hmm:

26. Wilf

It's Emerson, Lake and Palmer isn't it? Come on, spit it out, confession is good for the soul.

27. savoloysam

savoloysam Won an argument on the internetz once.

28. Andrew Hertford

Andrew Hertford Chocolate Jesus

The trouble with The Floyd was that both Gilmour or Waters had flat and uninteresting voices. If only they'd had Gabriel after Barrett left, they would have been ammaaaaazing...

29. killer b

that would have been fucking horrifying.

Wilf and discokermit like this.
  30. Wilf

A tower of onion rings is wonderful, a tower of turds less so.