1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pick 3 Music Vids

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Could be a fun little thread.
    Pick 3 particularly good/entertaining/stand out music videos. Not so much about the music, but the quality of the video, for whatever reason. Big budget, low budget, whatever.
    You only get one go!

Orang Utan likes this.
  2. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

What a surprise! :thumbs:

3. MrSki

No. 2

Rutita1 likes this.
  4. MrSki

No.3

Beat that to cheer you up! :D

5. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

1. Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy - a video with a proper story, and an although harrowing narrative, it's uplifting in the end - always brings a tear to my eye - I didn't identify with the protagonist's identity but i massively identified with wanting to get away and find my own gang and this video depicts that very well. Such an uplifting vid - he's found his crew to keep him afloat and he's going to a new more positive life. If only his dad could have shook his hand at the very least.

6. Orang Utan

2. The Rocksteady Crew - Hey You
    I'm sure I remember there being more dancing in this, but maybe it was a live thing on TOTP and I'm conflating both, but I remember the excitement in me and my siblings (and schoolmates in the coming weeks) watching that dancing and trying to copy it. the dancing, the bright synth line, the rapping - it all gelled into this awesome pop tune that you could not fail to dance to.
    There was also this excitement that there were people on another continent doing weird exciting things that we were too young to fully appreciate but that we knew were COOL

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  7. Orang Utan

3. Michael Jackson - Thriller
    It felt like such a big deal - I must have been 10, but I can't think how we could have seen it - was it transmitted in its entirety on British TV? We saw it anyway - can't remember feeling frightened, just excited and the bit where Jackson reveals his true self still thrills me, even though he's really not that scary (but in hindsight....) is so thrilling, but the best bit is the group zombie dancing. More memorable than most proper films.

8. Orang Utan

(if you want to see a really scary Jackson, watch his Ghosts minifilm)

9. Wookey

Wookey Playful as a pussy cat

OU, Thriller was aired in its entirety on UK TV in 1982...I think an entire generation shat themselves. :thumbs:

I'd plump for the visual creativity of: Take On Me by the Aha, Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer, and Money for Nothing by the Dire Straits.

I can recall almost every frame!

10. Rutita1

Rutita1 Wicked, Wicked, HYSTERICAL!

All of those are brilliant TBF!

bubblesmcgrath and Orang Utan like this.
  11. Orang Utan

I thought it was 1983, but whatever - we were allowed to watch it and it really was a thriller - there must have been so much hype - hard to imagine now how it must have been generated!

12. Orang Utan

yeah, real milestones in video technology

Rutita1 likes this.
  13. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

1. Call me Al.

14. Rutita1

Rutita1 Wicked, Wicked, HYSTERICAL!

I remember staying up, waiting, lying on my stomach in frontof and up close to the TV...I was a big MJ fan at that time, I was obsessed with Off the Wall and had had a healthy diet of the Jacksons growing up.. It was fucking incredible...my whole family were glued to the TV watching...Outstanding production! :cool: Then, after it finished the TV announcer (was it BBC2?) said 'now, as Michael Jackson heads back to his oxygen tank we are closing/off to x, y, z..' My older brothers and sister laughed and I was really fucking angry and berated them...Then I went to bed. Was a memorable night. :D

15. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

2. Ken ishii - extra

ska invita and Orang Utan like this.
  16. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

3. Bessie Smith - st Louis blues

Orang Utan likes this.
  17. Orang Utan

still remember ALL of the lyrics to that despite still not knowing what they mean

18. Wookey

Could well have been 83 actually, I think the album came out in 82...

Thriller blew the world of music videos apart, longer and more expensive than any other video ever made, it changed the whole game didn't it?

I watched American Werewolf in London not long afterwards, cause of the John Landis connection.... I was only about 9!

Orang Utan likes this.
  19. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

1. Remember watching this late at night in the 90s, on Noisy Mothers. Had a profound effect on me...

krtek a houby likes this.
  20. skyscraper101

2. For sending himself up and sticking it to the LAPD. Nightclub urinals, and a helicopter flying around LA filming people shagging. Nice one, George.

21. skyscraper101

3. Because of the sheer WTF reaction anytime I show this to someone for the first time. Great video. Great tune.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  22. Sea Star

Sea Star Not a cis person

My first

23. Sea Star

Makes me cry every time.

Sprocket. and editor like this.
  24. Sea Star

I was thinking of not going for all Bowie but then I though, nah, that'd be weird.

Sprocket. likes this.
  25. Wookey

100%!! Pop video as revenge statement. Superb. :thumbs:

skyscraper101 likes this.
  26. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

3 in 1.

krtek a houby likes this.
  27. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I. Chemical Brothers Star Guitar, because it's just so cool the way it works with the music.

2. Dj Fresh Gold Dust is just a happy video.

3. Ah-ha Take On Me which was one of the first videos I remember seeing as a kid (1985)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    krink, ska invita and Spandex like this.
  28. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

1. Steve Silk Hurley. I like the way all the dancing is synced with the tune

2. Megadeth. Peace sells. Agressive nutty images from the band Metallica could have been

3. M.I.A. Born Free. NSFW this one. Brutal song. Brutal video from Romain Gravas.

Edit: Because the first one was a dodgy copy

ska invita, Orang Utan and Rutita1 like this.
  29. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

This is from Heima where SR toured all the tiny villages - this track (Von means Hope) really captures the simple community life that exists in rural Iceland.

I like the sleazy opulence in this and Brandon Flowers does great sneering.

Cheesy and commercial but his stuff always makes me smile (and worryingly sing and dance). My students wrote to him and got me a signed photo and a little note when I retired.

30. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

This Happy Mondays vid for Wrote for Luck, filmed at Legends club in Manchester just with schoolkids, is much better than the official version, filmed at the same place but featuring an E-ed up Ryder and Bez dancing with older clubbers. The kids are really sweet and innocent but you know that just a few short years later some of them will be clubbing and getting into some 'naughty necking' that Ryder sings about towards the end.

Lady Gaga's Bad Romance really raised the bar for modern pop music and for her career. Such a brilliant and bold song demanded a special video, and this still sounds and looks amazing (with a great ending too).

By complete contrast, this simple but affecting video really enhances Julia Holter's beautiful Feel You (which I'll admit makes me well up every time). If this doesn't move you, you have no soul.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  31. Orang Utan

Dr. Furface - isn't there another video for WFL filmed in the Hac?