1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshopped images to come with a warning under new French law

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by weltweit, Sep 30, 2017.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Photoshopped images to come with a warning under new French law

2. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Slightly misleading thread title.

3. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Perhaps its been photoshopped.

4. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Seems a bit silly.
    I'd hazard a guess that obesity is a much bigger problem (no pun intended). I wonder will McDonalds, et al, have to place a warning on their doors, to warn people of the inevitability of obesity if they regularly eat their food.

5. weltweit

Why do you say that?

6. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Why did you post this instead of campaigning against climate change?

7. weltweit

600,000 seems like quite a lot of people.

And that isn't the full extent of the influence of this "slim is beautiful" agenda, it will affect plenty of people who aren't slim.

muscovyduck likes this.
  8. Saul Goodman

Because apathy.

9. Saul Goodman

It is a lot of people but I can't see how this law will make a single iota of a difference.

10. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Because photoshop is used for many photo editing jobs where nobody will have to point it out in small print: just if it's used to mislead in advertising.

11. weltweit

Well it might cause advertisers to stop photo-shopping their images to prevent the text having to be put on their adverts?

12. weltweit

I didn't see the precise wording of the law in the article, that would be interesting to see.

13. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

But the article talks about advertising specifically. Fair point though.

14. weltweit

I doubt if a photo of a car was photo-shopped the advertisers would have to carry the warning on that photo ..

wiskey likes this.
  15. Saul Goodman

I can't see that happening. They'll either find a loophole or simply add the text, but even if they do add the text, it's not going to change anything for the people who want to look like the photoshopped images.

bimble and Spymaster like this.
  16. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Yes, if a Volvo is framed hovering over the moon then you'd expect most people would be sceptical if it was done to claim that kind of performance.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  17. weltweit

Should I change the title?
    I was hoping more women might engage, who probably know more about these issues!!!

18. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

I got this from Getty:

“Effective 1st October 2017 a new French law obliges clients who use commercial images in France to disclose whether the body shape of a model has been retouched to make them look thinner or larger.

As a result, also effective October 1st, we have amended our Creative Stills Submission Requirements to require that you do not submit to us any creative content depicting models whose body shapes have been retouched to make them look thinner or larger.

Please note that other changes made to models like a change of hair color, nose shape, retouching of skin or blemishes, etc., are outside the scope of this new law, and are therefore still acceptable.”

weltweit likes this.
  19. weltweit

Interesting because the article features an image where the skin has been adjusted ..

20. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

The picture editor has made a bad choice. They've not read the written piece properly, and have plucked something that, in this case, suggests something different than what was reported.

Happens more often than it should. :-/

weltweit, muscovyduck and cupid_stunt like this.
  21. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

I think all photoshopped images should be made to carry the disclaimer “photographie retouchée”. It would solve a lot of Internet arguments.

22. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I largely agree with Saul. In time it'll just become the norm for pictures of models to have that text on the ad.

Why not just ban artificially enhanced body mods in advertising?

23. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

What is an artificially enhanced body mod?

24. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Photos modified with software to artificially enhance women's figures.

25. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

I don't think banning photoshopping in advertising is remotely realistic, you might as well try to ban makeup or flattering lighting.
    I mean everyone already knows that the images are not 'real', and young people use filters on their own selfies all the time, false advertising their own instagram-lives, should that be banned too? I get why people want to push some responsibility onto the fashion / beauty industry but think the real problem lies elsewhere.

26. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

What they are taking issue with is very specific. The artificial enhancement of body shape. Whether or not you agree with that is not the point, I'm not sure I do. Putting a half arsed measure in place like this isn't going to make much difference long term though. Either leave things as they are or deal with it properly.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    cupid_stunt likes this.
  27. weltweit

28. weltweit

29. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Did you do that? :D

30. weltweit

I am not that talented a photoshopper, no they were on google images.

There are plenty more, just don't include the word anorexic or you will be shocked.