Photos of London from 1991

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by mod, Jan 10, 2018.

1. mod

mod A modernist

I was a 17 year old Londoner in 1991. These photos feel like they are from a long time ago, which it was I guess, but they still shocked me a bit.

London In 1991

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. porp

porp Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for sharing this. I don't bother with Londonist much now, so would have missed this. Similar age and the photos shocked me a bit but also reinforced my memory- London really was more washed out and dingy then. Hypercolour travelcards are something they should definitely revisit!

mod likes this.
  3. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I moved to London in 1989 , don't remember those hypercolour travel cards:D I do remember loving the route master buses and all that jumping on and off malarkey :cool:

mx wcfc and Pickman's model like this.
  4. mod

mod A modernist

Was telling my 7 year old daughter about this recently. She wouldn't believe me and asked for 'evidence on YouTube'.

porp, clicker and marty21 like this.
  5. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Some special railway shots here - mind you a green 4-SUB (4732 for the record) going into Charing Cross was not "normal" - some sort of special working I reckon.

agricola and existentialist like this.
  6. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

1991 was after I'd left the first time, and before I moved back. I've always had a great fondness for London.(Apart from the cold weather) I wish I could afford to move back there.

7. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Strange how dated the images look, twas only yesterday.

Slo-mo likes this.
  8. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Agreed, some of those snaps look more 70s than 90s especially the Odeon on Marble Arch despite the very 90s Rocky V billing

Nice find mod

mod likes this.
  9. telbert

telbert Do you like sponge?

I worked on construction of Ensign House ( The white building in the background of the DLR photo).Seems like a fucking lifetime ago.

mod likes this.
  10. mod

mod A modernist

I actually doubted these were from 1991 when I first seen them. Looked it up and Rocky V did indeed come out here in 1991.Bloody dreadful looking film....

11. porp

porp Well-Known Member

So true. It's pathetic to look back, but surfing off the platform of a No 7 bus going fast around the tight curves of Russell Square, followed by the perfectly judged still-moving step off. Skills!

mod and marty21 like this.
  12. marty21

Also running after the bus , grabbing the bar and swinging on to it :thumbs:

porp and mod like this.
  13. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

We used to call that "doing an Aretha" from the lyrics in "Say A Little Prayer"

clicker, porp and marty21 like this.
  14. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

from memory, it was put in to green livery for its last few months of normal service, but that was on the SW section so would not have worked in to Charing X in regular service. Then (with the 2-BIL) it was on special events for a few years

15. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Exactly - had a cab ride on it back from Basingstoke one evening :thumbs:

16. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Did no one else find it odd/disappointing that so few of the photos featured people?

kabbes likes this.
  17. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Decent film ruined by Stalone thinking that Rocky dying at the end would be too dark an ending.

18. marty21

This is from around the same time (1990 ish) featuring me at about 1:44 :cool: man in white shirt , tie, dark hair :hmm: walking out of the station with a gorgeous woman :cool: (my mate Jane) . I'm also chewing a pen :confused:

hot air baboon likes this.
  19. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

We are roughly the same age and I was in (and out) of London also.
    I miss those days. Exciting times.

mod likes this.
  20. mod

mod A modernist

Wonderful time to be that age in London if you liked clubbing and raving. golden times.

Virtual Blue likes this.
  21. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

There’s also that it was a lot harder to take pictures on film in dull dingy weather and not have them look dull and dingy. I quite like that actually.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    ska invita likes this.
  22. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

was just about to say
    its more to do with the camera/film grain i think

(but yeah 91, was the 80s really - and the 80s still had a good covering of the shitness of the 70s running through them. Many London buildings still covered in black soot and grime for example)[​IMG]

mod, agricola, clicker and 1 other person like this.