1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography - Nightime in America's Small Towns (BBC).

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Food please.

Now I saw this on the BBC website and immediately thought of Johnny Canuck3

Stated influences include Steven Shore amongst others. They don't mention the often forgotten genius Mark Powell, or the Daddy of them all (and my personal all time favourite photographer) Thomas Struth.

Neither is there a mention of Edward Hopper - the compulsory influence on all night time, urban photographers. There is no getting away from him even when you try!

I don't think the stuff featured on the BBC website warrants the space. You get the feeling you've seen it all before. With the exception of a couple of lucky storm shots they all look a bit boring. For me our very own Johnny Canuck3 captures far more drama, mood and honesty in North America (as a continent) than this guy.

No idea what Johnny has as photography ambitions, but he should be appreciated on a much wider scale than some rich kid touring the states and failing to find any originality (I don't think I am being to harsh on the photographer - decent enough images, but nothing to remember).

In short: BBC fail, U75 win. Carry on posting Mr Canuck. You are appreciated here :)

dweller, clicker and neonwilderness like this.
  2. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Totally agree with you that Johnny Canuck3 's photography stands up very well in comparison. I really like his night stuff :)

I'd say that Brassai's book 'Paris by Night' was a bigger influence on night urban photography than anything by Hopper.

3. Stanley Edwards

As an 'old skooler' myself I would agree with you about Brassai as far as night time shooting goes, but I doubt the kids (sorry kids) are nearly as familiar with his work as they are 'that Hopper painting' that has been all over the internet for as long as digital photography has been popular. Almost every set of photographic night time city scenes I see on the web has 'that Hopper' shot. I am as guilty of it as anyone else. It just beckons your lens even though you know it has been done a Million times before.

--/e2a; My Hopper - Shoreditch 2002.

OldStreet.JPG

4. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, Stanley Edwards and RoyReed: you've really made my day. :)

I like Brassai; but I agree about Hopper's influence.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    RoyReed likes this.
  5. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

6. Stanley Edwards

Staged as in 'theatrical' to my eyes. Something a bit surreal about them (they aren't 'real' scenes) and a little disconcerting if not unsettling. The earliest pioneers of photography 'staged' shots simply because the long exposures necessary weren't conducive to what we now talk about as 'street photography'. Especially night time photography under artificial light. This is where use of artificial light comes into play for dramatic effect - we are all thinking 'theatre' when we use light in this way.

To throw another less fashionable name into the fold, take a look at some of the more surreal work of Angus McBean. Best known for his portraits, but a very well crafted 'stager' of scenes using theatrical light also.

Night time shooting offers the best control of light with some sometimes sporadic nature also. I like it when you come across naturally set scenes that look like pure theatre.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017