Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Photographers: let's hear about your set ups!

weltweit

I'm still using my canon 40D and can't decide what to upgrade to.
How long have you had your 40D Nivag?

It takes me ages to make up my mind on a new camera, I was pondering over a Nikon D610 or a D800 for many many months while I was camera less, eventually I knew I had to make my mind up.

Nivag

How long have you had your 40D Nivag?

It takes me ages to make up my mind on a new camera, I was pondering over a Nikon D610 or a D800 for many many months while I was camera less, eventually I knew I had to make my mind up.
Since 2009, I bought it 2nd hand. The last year or so I've been wanting a camera that handles low light better. I've got 3 lovely lenses, so reluctant to swap brand due to the added cost of buying new glass.

weltweit

Nivag are your lenses Full Frame or Crop? Because that will limit the cameras you can look at using them on. Canon has a good range of cameras, I expect you may have too many options making it hard to make your mind up. I bought a used Nikon full frame camera from MPB in Jan 2018. All of my lenses are FX though so they work fine with it.

editor

hiraethified
Since 2009, I bought it 2nd hand. The last year or so I've been wanting a camera that handles low light better. I've got 3 lovely lenses, so reluctant to swap brand due to the added cost of buying new glass.
Sony are bloody excellent in low light and you can always use an adapter for your old lenses....

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
You know what? I'm debating moving back to Micro Four Thirds and getting the new Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III. The thing that pushed me into going full frame was taking football pics in the badly lit Dulwich Hamlet ground but now that they've got no shortage of snappers I'm fed up with the extra weight.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III review | Digital Camera World

The Sony A7ii is a great camera but you know that thing when you buy something but never get to love it? That's how I feel about the Sony set up, even though it takes cracking pics. The lenses weigh a ton, but I prefer to use the Sony RX1 and even the Huawei P30 phone is doing a brilliant job of capturing the night shots I like.

*continues to mull,,,
Well, you know I'm always of the opinion that you take the best photos on the camera you like to use the most, so I'd say why not. I know you always liked the OM-D, and while it might not have the pixel-peeping high ISO performance of the Sony, modern m43 cameras are still perfectly usable at 3200 or more, particularly with fast primes.

Nivag

Nivag are your lenses Full Frame or Crop? Because that will limit the cameras you can look at using them on. Canon has a good range of cameras, I expect you may have too many options making it hard to make your mind up. I bought a used Nikon full frame camera from MPB in Jan 2018. All of my lenses are FX though so they work fine with it.
Only one is a crop only lens. The rest will work on both.

Dawn Crescendo

Well, you know I'm always of the opinion that you take the best photos on the camera you like to use the most, so I'd say why not. I know you always liked the OM-D, and while it might not have the pixel-peeping high ISO performance of the Sony, modern m43 cameras are still perfectly usable at 3200 or more, particularly with fast primes.
Until early 2018 I was a dedicated Sony User, sadly age has crept in and I have switched to Olympus micro 4/5 I have a Mk1 EM5 .. a troublesome M5 mk 2 and a M1 mk 1. I do find the low light performance poorer than the Sonys but at least I can carry them about without crippling myself and do find the lightweight Panasonic 45 to 150 lens to be useful for much of the time. There is also that lovely little 45mm f1.8 Olympus lens.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
The Panasonic 45-150 is surprisingly good. I got one for £100 second hand and, while the aperture is relatively slow, the image quality is excellent, even wide open. No lens stabilisation but a lot of m43 cameras have IBIS anyway.

Nivag

I treated myself to a Canon M6 Mark II
It wasn't what I initially had in mind but after holding it in a shop and seeing the size it'll mean I'm more likely to carry it with me plus I got the adaptor to use my existings lenses.
Will probably get the EF-M 55-200mm so I've got a nice small telephoto lens to travel with.

Dawn Crescendo

The Panasonic 45-150 is surprisingly good. I got one for £100 second hand and, while the aperture is relatively slow, the image quality is excellent, even wide open. No lens stabilisation but a lot of m43 cameras have IBIS anyway.
I have found the ibis on the Olympus OMD cameras to be very effective.