Photographers: let's hear about your set ups!

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. weltweit

    weltweit Well-Known Member

    A side question with respect to gear, do any of you have insurance to cover accidental damage and theft while at home or out and about? I don't have any insurance which I could add my gear to so interested if anyone has cover.
  2. editor

    editor Forked with electrons

    I'm with Eversure Insurance.
    weltweit likes this.
  3. weltweit

    weltweit Well-Known Member

    Camera Insurance | Specialist cover from under £20

    I am not sure I have any invoices now for my gear, most of it was bought a long long time ago :)

    eta: I suppose I could go down the photo of the gear route if I can get my camera to date and time stamp the image, but what would I take a photo of my camera itself with :) ?
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  4. FridgeMagnet

    FridgeMagnet Administrator

    It just comes under my home contents, which also covers damage and theft outside the house.

    If it’s gear used for earning money, policies generally won’t cover it though.
  5. weltweit

    weltweit Well-Known Member

    I think back when I had contents insurance I added my gear to it, but I haven't had such a policy for many years now. But there are other demands on my hard earned, like a back up hdd which I probably should get etc etc
  6. alsoknownas

    alsoknownas some bloke

    I've been trying to find an EVF to use as part of a rig (chest supported, rather than a shoulder rig), but they are just soooo expensive!
    Anyway, I found a place that was doing a clearance deal on the Zacuto Flip EVF, which is an old, quite low-res, but well-featured model, which I think they still sell but tend to keep a bit quiet about because they want people to buy the newer, pricier, Gratical range.
    Ordered the EVF at half price. Will report back.
    It does seem a bit perverse to replace the perfectly brilliant EVF on my GH5S (3,680,000 pixels) with a much lower resolution model (384,000 pixels :eek:), but I'm doing it to add a point of contact for handheld stuff, so it will only be an occasional compromise.
  7. alsoknownas

    alsoknownas some bloke

    As I say I'm going to (slowly) build a rig for my camera. So far I've assembled a cage and an EVF. I appreciate that most here are stills photographers so probably won't need to consider this, but any experience or opinions on support rigs?
  8. alsoknownas

    alsoknownas some bloke

    Found an excellent summary article on mechanical vs electronic shutter here:

    Electronic v mechanical shutter modes - Lumix G Experience
  9. weltweit

    weltweit Well-Known Member

    Yes, that is an interesting article and it explains well why mirrorless cameras still have a mechanical shutter. I did find it a bit strange that electronic shutters can fire so fast but still have these side effects. Perhaps I need to revisit the article and re-read it. :)
    alsoknownas likes this.
  10. mhendo

    mhendo Aussie in San Diego

    Just bought myself a used Nikon AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED, in excellent shape, for $US400. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

    More interesting than the lens is the guy who I bought it from. He is a long-time pro, who has done lots of work for Sports Illustrated and ESPN. This is probably his most famous shot:

    weltweit likes this.
  11. HoratioCuthbert

    HoratioCuthbert Cover my eyes electric blue

  12. FridgeMagnet

    FridgeMagnet Administrator

    I've got myself a Leica M9 - that's their first full-frame digital for those of you who don't keep up with overpriced camera news. I got an M6 (film) last year and some lenses, so at least I didn't have to get any more of the latter.

    Honestly, the main reason is that I've been feeling very alienated from digital cameras recently, yet do still like the convenience and quality of shooting digital. Even the ones I like the most - e.g. the Panasonic GX8 - pull me out of the environment when I'm using them, and seem really badly set up. I think camera manufacturers are in the state of phone manufacturers pre-iPhone... engineering companies who have no feel for how people actually use their products. There are a few counter-examples but really, most cameras are horrible to use, and even if you understand them completely they still take you out of the moment.

    The M9 on the other hand is uncomplicated and manual to the extreme. You could just set your ISO and white balance once and never have to look at the screen again. You select aperture on the lens and shutter speed on a dial and you focus completely manually, through a big, bright, optical viewfinder - in use, the only digital feature you come across is the shutter speed in the VF if you're using aperture-priority metering (and that's just a very old-school LCD-type display).

    I'm not 100% used to it yet, there are some small differences from the M6, but so far I am happy. Compared to modern cameras it has poor high ISO performance but honestly, I don't care that much - I don't shoot fast action in low light, I rarely use anything over 800.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice