1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photographer captures the explosion that kills her

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Artaxerxes, May 4, 2017.

1. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Fez909 likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Fucking hell. Powerful stuff.

3. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I note the photos were "published with permission of the Clayton family" but I bet they didn't speak to the families of the Afghan soldiers actually being killed in the picture.

4. noodles

noodles ▁▂▃▅▆▇▉

I did find it slightly odd that on none of the articles that I read on this were the other victims' names given.

5. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Not much about the other photographer either, one from her and one from the guy she was training to replace her.

Bit shit now you point it out.

muscovyduck likes this.
  6. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

What I found slightly distasteful about this story was the way that it was deemed so appalling that the mortar shell went off at the point of firing.

It obviously was a powerful explosion and killed many that were around the mortar but this explosion was intended, the destructive force was intended, it was just that it was intended for the planned recipients of the mortar who might have been equally devastated if the weapon had worked as planned and not malfunctioned.

7. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

It was a training exercise.

I'm pretty sure a photo taken at the receiving end in battle would have been equally praiseworthy but photojournalists killed by mortars don't usually get a chance to set up the shot beforehand.

8. mhendo

mhendo Aussie in San Diego

This New York Times article gives the name of the Afghan photographer, or at least (what I presume is) his first name:
    It's worth noting that there might be good reasons for not naming the Afghan soldiers. Those in Afghanistan who help the American forces have, over the past 15 years, often been subject to reprisals from supporters of the Taliban. Their families have also been targeted for violence.

Fez909 and UnderAnOpenSky like this.