1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photo competition: winners gallery!

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

Got to agree with most here - the 'digitally enhanced bit' on snadge's pic should be taken off.

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Nice pictures wiskey

No point. Just minxing :oops:

3. boskysquelch

boskysquelch Banned Banned

*mustn't bite...mustn't bite...mustn't bite!!!!...AAAAAAAAAAARGHHHH!!!!!>>>puts boots on to go stand infront of a wave! :(

4. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Agreed.

5. alef

alef Needs to take more photos

OK, I'll send the editor an updated page with "digitally mastered". I thought it was only fair to have some kind of note on it since it has been manipulated to a large extent. If you prefer "mastered" to "enhanced" so be it...

6. lighterthief

lighterthief Well-Known Member

My two cents - the note should be completely removed.

7. boskysquelch

I give up

8. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Ah, your point's too cryptic to understand anyway :p :D

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

To be honest, "digitally mastered" not only sounds ultra-wanky, it doesn't really make sense. I don't know what went on with the image, but I'd say phrases like 'digitally processed' or 'adjusted' make more sense.

10. Firky

Remove it completely?

11. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

adjusted is good

12. boskysquelch

Putting ALL things aside... :rolleyes: ,,it simply doesn't feel in-keeping with the spirit of things..I know you ALL know what "I" mean so I won't repeat myself agin..but it ain't right! :(

*label one you have to label them all as far as I'm concerned...I jus "feel" this wasn't the way to do it, generally and specifically. :oops:

13. mauvais

I guessed that was what you meant, but I did briefly wonder if you were just anti-PS :D . Anyway, I agree entirely - not really in keeping with the spirit of it all to start adding caveats & clauses.

If you're going to insist on doing it, do it to mine as well please.

14. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

i dunno what you're on about?

seriously.

15. Derian

Derian New Member

I agree. All or none sort of thing.

Oooh, new username :) :cool:

16. boskysquelch

You'd put this poor image down for being,,,"adjusted"...Goth Heffer at Carn Euny :(

*rubs n buffs Nu Name Tag... :D

17. Firky

you're mad as a shit house rat, you know that? if you were a lass I would. Totally. But you'd just break my head :(

18. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

who said anything about putting an image down ffs?

i dont think i ever said it was a bad image, i said i chose not to vote for it because i felt it was over photoshopped for a photography competition. but everyone else liked it and it won. but they all voted it to win knowing it was PS'ed, why shouldnt future people who look at it be given the same information?

fuck it, you know what i think paul has the right idea.

19. Firky

I don't think he meant 'down' in that context, dude. At least that is not how I read it.

20. boskysquelch

now then! :eek: no neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!...no neeeeeeeeeeeeed! :(

I'm not being specific...I agree with people knowing/learning/understanding...but believe that this appears to single out the image in a demeaning way...why not have Note:The teeth are not real on my Old Age pickee...?

snizz'zzzzn't personal wiskey or alef or anyone come to that...'cet me...I jus feeel it ain't right...can the Winners give up a one liner to describe how they produced their capture maybe? :)

21. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

well if thats the case fair enough.

but i think you're right, i'm just narky huh.

i hereby bow out gracefully.

22. mauvais

Mine was Photoshopped. There was no fuss about that.
    If this is the path people want the competition to follow, though it seems they don't, then change the rules. You can't really start tacking little notes onto things later - it's just not in keeping with the sense of fair play.

23. strung out

strung out (",)

I agree, either have the note for everyone, or for no-one at all*. Seems a bit wanky just to have it added on that one entry.

*preferred choice

24. boskysquelch

honestly m'lady.. :oops:

*their jus all jealous on me, snadge n riot sky's( :rolleyes: ) PS buffness anways!!! :p ,,,spshlly that mavis and the kisser! ;)

KnowwotImean?

**but fairdoes it's still Alef's call but I hope somewhere in this he understands what I'm trying to say also...mate it jus jumps out toooo much?

And tbh with, snadge's pickee in particular I know the shot could have been done with just a 25 dernier stocking on the lens,a polarizer, & a blimmin good meter reading, for film. :)

25. boskysquelch

:D :D :D

26. boskysquelch

Anyways...I'm going to see this now...before I go bye_byes...

[​IMG]

N_Nx

27. mauvais

All I ever wanted was a little bit of a fuss :( :D

28. boskysquelch

I 0wnz fuss...it ain't what it's cracked upto be... :oops: ,,,stick with yer spreadsheets mate! :D

*pulls boots on...

29. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

personally i think the notice should be removed it's a good photograph and it won... that's the end of it surely...

It implies it won on some sort of technicality by which it has won, rather than it's the populist choice....

I have been one of the biggest anti proponents of shopping stuff for the photo comp but the prevailing attitude has been for some time that it's allowed.

The why's and what fors of why you should or shouldn't shop a shot is for another thread, but unless there is to be some kind of explaintion of what techniques have been used in all the photos then it's not needed...

My 2 pence

30. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

well must admit I'm suprised this debate is still pulling people in....

as long as the entrant states that it has been " fiddled" with, vote on the merits of the picture, not a distaste of what I feel some people see as an unfair advantage.

This rule should also apply to darkroom enhanced photo's using film, which there have been a few of with no disclaimer at all.......

go figure.