PhD peeps- motivation and the like

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Kuso, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Sunset Tree

Sunset Tree Well-Known Member

I have my final feedback on my draft. If I can motivate myself to sit up tonight and make the corrections, this bad boy could be getting printed tomorrow.

It's not that late, a few hours, I can do this...

mango5 and Hollis like this.
  2. Sunset Tree

1am and I've just reached the results section. I've never been one of those students who stays up all night on the coffee before deadlines, but I quite fancy it tonight. It's not due until Monday but would be amazing to finish and have a long weekend off.

mango5 likes this.
  3. Sunset Tree

Just submitted!

4. The Pale King

The Pale King Well-Known Member

Get in! Enjoy yourself :)

Sunset Tree likes this.
  5. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

Have a very well deserved drink/chocolate bar/sleep/all of the above.

Sunset Tree and aqua like this.
  6. Sunset Tree

I rarely drink but am having a couple of craft beers

I had this idea that I'd have a month off after submission, but my supervisors have other ideas - preliminary fieldwork, ethics applications, presentations... need to see if I can get time off before my PhD formally begins.

moonsi til and equationgirl like this.
  7. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

Well done. I have enjoyed reading your enthusiasm. I would suggest go out for a walk with no rush to get back.

Sunset Tree likes this.
  8. Sunset Tree

I walk my dog everyday but when I'm under deadline stress it can feel like an imposition - I'll be rushing through it to get back to my work. It has been nice just having all this free time, lingering at nice spots in the park, taking longer routes. Loving the lack of pressure.

9. Sunset Tree

First proper conference presentation tomorrow

The Pale King and mango5 like this.
  10. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Good luck! Generally they are kind to newbies unless you get a self-important prick in the room.

equationgirl and The Pale King like this.
  11. Sunset Tree

Thanks! Actually shitting it a bit but I tend to be OK when I get up there.

12. Sunset Tree

My presentation went OK. Wasn't spectacular, wasn't terrible. I've delivered almost the same presentation in a smaller setting really smoothly, but in front of 100 people I think my delivery suffered a little through nerves. Got through it anyway but was feeling a bit down about it, because there are just so many brilliant people in academia, giving all these sparkling presentations, and mine was just sort of OK (from my perspective).

Then today I got a really nice email from an academic saying she liked my presentation, thought my topic was very exciting/important, and asking for more detail about my methodologies because she thought they could be used to address some of her own research questions. So that was a bit of a pick-me-up.

Academia is hard, sometimes it feels like just too much, other times you get a little boost and feel on top of it.

mango5 likes this.
  13. The Pale King

The Pale King Well-Known Member

Sounds like it went very well! Getting an email like that is great after your first presentation. Well done :)

equationgirl, mango5 and Sunset Tree like this.
  14. Sunset Tree

Thanks! The conference was quite taxing in many ways, so much to process. I was feeling a bit flat about everything, that was a nice email to get.

moonsi til likes this.
  15. Sunset Tree

At the risk of turning this thread into my blog: good meeting with supervisors today. They didn't say anything about my presentation being terrible so I guess it went OK. And they were enthusiastic about some of my initial fieldwork observations.

Currently transitioning from masters to PhD student - admin stuff basically. But it does mean a more impressive email address with my name in it, and a new computer with improved permissions and the ability to VPN in from home. And a new student card. It will be good to be officially a PhD student.

16. Sunset Tree

Bit of an awkward issue where an academic in the dept seems to think I am encroaching on their research area. Despite the fact my research is exactly what was stated in the PhD advertisement and my successful proposal.

Our respective research was supposed to be with separate groups of stakeholders in the same org. The two approaches were supposed to complement each other and answer some broader research questions. They are saying these broader research questions are their remit alone, nothing to do with me.

I recently submitted a presentation, and when they saw the title they sent quite an abrupt message asking who OK'd this, cancelling their promise to listen to a practice run-through, and sent their apologies for the presentation itself (claiming to be too busy). I explained that my supervisors helped me prepare that presentation and that's what they told me to include.

I've since checked with my lead supervisor, who is also very senior in the dept, and he supports my research plans and said not to worry about it, that they're just being 'territorial'. It's really weird, departmental politics and egos. Is this just a common thing or should I be more concerned?

17. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I have heard of it before. Trust your supervisor, if they keep sending you emails just tell them to take it up with your supervisor. Point out you will happily arrange a meeting between the three of you to discuss the issues. I suspect you will not hear anything from them.

18. Sunset Tree

This is a good idea. Doesn't even have to be a confrontational thing, just a meeting to clarify research boundaries.

The worst thing is defended their position by saying 'this is what was agreed at the start'. Just totally untrue. The advert included these topics, as did my proposal. My studentship award letter literally has my project title which explicitly states these research questions. My profile on the university website also.

They actually copied my supervisor into the email, I think they genuinely believed I've done something wrong.

19. Sunset Tree

In better news I got my masters results yesterday, passed with merit

20. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

If you were wrong your supervisor would have told you by now.

21. Sunset Tree

Absolutely. I'm not worried about having done anything wrong. I am worried about ongoing conflict or awkwardness. The person in question isn't my supervisor, but to muddy things a little, they did supervise my masters thesis. I am supposed to have an ongoing relationship with them trying to publish a paper from my thesis. I hope they are cool going forward.