1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PhD peeps- motivation and the like

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Kuso, Aug 19, 2012.

1. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Btw, JSTOR sucks. Google Scholar is pretty good though. UEL doesn't have institutional access to Cambridge University Press, so I had to go 'round the houses to obtain texts.

2. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

*dances in celebration for you*

Five weeks today.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

scholar's good if you know its limitations, e.g. the same search won't necessarily return the same results six months down the line, you can't save search results - databases can allow you to save marked records, scholar's maximum display is 1,000 results: even when it says it has 10,000 only the top 1000 can be viewed. scholar's good for a quick and dirty search to see if there is something but for a rigorous search jstor, pubmed, scopus, web of science win hands down every time.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  4. Sunset Tree

Sunset Tree Well-Known Member

As someone who always uses scholar this is interesting and useful advice. I had a look on world of science and found a couple of additional relevant papers straight away.

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I used pubmed extensively during mine, really good database for medical and biological information.

I use science direct at work, and various patent databases (free and subscription). Lots of engineers think they can do patent searching because they use Google patent. Like scholar, it's adequate for quick and dirty searches, but has limited coverage (mainly us data) and there are better resources to use.

6. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Yep

7. iamwithnail

I hate how finicky refworks is, but its the software we've got from the uni. :(

8. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

I found EBSCO quite useful, but I rarely found what I wanted on JSTOR.

9. Sunset Tree

This is unrelated but I'm doing epidemiology and statistics this term and it's so different to what I'm used to. I can feel how useful the knowledge is as I start to grasp it but it's quite hard.

Genuinely afraid I'll go into my exams and forget everything about odds ratios or whatever.

10. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Did you not recognise my thinly veiled attempt to get an opportunity to moan about my thing to you? :mad:

11. Sunset Tree

Statistics exam done today. Good sense of relief getting a tough exam out the way, I think I passed.

12. Sunset Tree

Next exam is epidemiology.

Also have to submit three pieces of coursework, a research proposal, and an ethics application by mid-January. Will be busy over Christmas.

13. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I had a 'contractual obligation' 15 minute phone call with supervisor last week. These happen about twice a year. I keep telling myself that neglect is liberating and implies trust. I am aiming to submit next summer, approx month 42. Next year is going to be a slog.

14. iamwithnail

I feel similar. It's not necessarily that empowering or inspiring though.

Since I'm sitting writing up today and tomorrow, my external monitors have decided to not play ball, and i'm sitting doing it all on my laptop screen. Great. 12 days left.

15. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

The neglect is shit but it's my normal now and not a battle I choose. I if didn't try to see a positive side I'd probably go postal. I want to save that energy for when I want to submit.

12 days, yikes. Stay strong.

16. Sunset Tree

I was speaking to another student whose funding ran out nearly a year ago, she only had a couple of weeks to submit. She said she hated her PhD and it's the worst thing she's ever done. Great motivational speech for the new guy!

iamwithnail and Pickman's model like this.
  17. iamwithnail

3 days. Goes to printers on Tuesday. Handed in next Friday. Today, Sunday and Monday. That's it.

Eta: I feel the other students' position. I wish I'd never done mine.

18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

I'm really looking forward to doing mine :cool:

19. Sunset Tree

I'm enjoying mine thus far. I can see the potential for stress down the line but I'm really happy with the research opportunity I have.

20. Sunset Tree

iamwithnail I liked that for the nearly handed in part, not the wishing you never did it. It's great that you're nearly there.

21. equationgirl

I was glad when it was finished. It was a chapter of my life I wanted to move on from. I never wished I hadn't done it but it was good to be done with it.

22. Sunset Tree

I can just imagine the relief. Great achievement for all who have made it.

equationgirl and Pickman's model like this.
  23. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

This is commonplace. The PhD experience is a shitshow in very many places, in very many ways. There's a lot of needless human suffering. I'm grateful and lucky to be doing mine, and I mostly enjoy it hugely. But the motivational speeches are self serving bullshit. Take the warnings seriously.

equationgirl and Sunset Tree like this.
  24. iamwithnail

Sent it to the printers, fuckit. It's not ok but i'm throwing it over the wall now. (And a hundred quid on printing. :( )

25. aqua

aqua made of cheese and gin

well done iamwithnail :) as someone once said to me, it will NEVER be finished.

iamwithnail likes this.
  26. equationgirl

The printing costs always annoyed me, it's the one thing the universities should assist with given that pretty much everyone is beyond broke at this point. The university stipulates how many copies should be submitted, they should help pay for them.

iamwithnail likes this.
  27. equationgirl

But that's brilliant news!! Well done you :)

iamwithnail likes this.
  28. equationgirl

From personal experience, the first year is great, it's all fun and new and exciting. It's common to hit a slump somewhere around the middle of the second year, which last anything from a few months to a year. Once you're through that, the end feels nearer and running out of money is a great motivator to finish.

Some people do sail through,, most don't. It's a hard slog that eats your social life and you need to be aware of how hard it can be so that you are prepared for it if it happens to you.

29. iamwithnail

Second year slump is definitely a thing.

30. Sunset Tree

There's a few areas where I've already seen the potential for frustrations. Lack of organisation and communication within the department. One person emails saying one thing, someone else emails saying another, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do or why they aren't communicating.

Just working out who was going to supervise my masters thesis was a hassle. My PhD supervisor said somebody needs supervision experience so they can do it. That person emailed me saying they think they'll be too busy. Eventually it was decided she'd co-supervise with someone else but not be the lead supervisor. Then a week later I'm getting emails naming her as lead supervisor again.

I also got an email from my supervisor asking why I haven't signed up for a class as so-and-so advised me to, as the class is rapidly filling up. They hadn't told me to! I was still waiting to hear confirmation if I was allowed to take this class.

Not quite as organised as I'd expected.