1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PhD peeps- motivation and the like

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Kuso, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Lo Siento.

Lo Siento. Second As Farce

Thanks! Helped dispel a fair bit of my imposter syndrome...

Yeah, completing things is a massive productivity killer, isn't it?

purves grundy likes this.
  2. Lo Siento.

really? at UCL or at the Modern Record Centre (where the research mostly comes from...)?

3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

UCL. I'm in STS at 22.

4. aqua

aqua made of cheese and gin

Being 6 months pregnant and unable to sit at a desk is a bit of a motivation killer too :oops:

sorearm likes this.
  5. Lo Siento.

Two doors down... If you see me, you should say hello! (I'm about 5'8", beard, longish hair. That probably doesn't narrow it down much in a history department mind...)

Monkeygrinder's Organ likes this.
  6. aqua

:D:D:D

sorearm likes this.
  7. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

On an otherwise depressing day, this is a just wonderful story

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/st...tecture+dissertation+with/11037362/story.html

sorearm and equationgirl like this.
  8. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Spent a bit of time talking to one of the PhD people today and helping them structure part of their write up.

9. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

8:30 on a bank holiday, writing the 'pivot' for my PhD fieldwork, and doing a peer review. Living the dream. Someone's, anyway. Probably not mine.

equationgirl likes this.
  10. Lo Siento.

Ten years after I came up with the idea for it, nine years after I started writing on the subject and three years, two hundred and sixty four days, and eight hours after I began the Ph.D. programme, I have *finally* submitted my doctoral thesis. :D :D :D

11. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

Nice, congratulations!

On my previous post, I pulled myself together, told my supervisor that's what I was doing, set it up, and am running fieldwork now so have advanced about 90% since that last post, and he thinks it's all good. Still not staying in academia.

equationgirl, mango5 and Lo Siento. like this.
  12. Lo Siento.

I'm going to have a crack at job hunting, but not really too bothered to be honest. The subject was billiant to study and you teach yourself so many skills putting a project like that together, so I wouldn't mind going back to my old job (TEFLing) and just using all that to work on any stuff I want to do.

13. equationgirl

Lo Siento. likes this.
  14. aqua

Well I can't remember the last time I posted on here (and can't be arsed to check). But my hand in day is tomorrow and I need to just get all this out somewhere. Since I started I've had 2 children, my Dad diagnosed with alzheimers, lost a baby, had endless family related weirdness, worked full time and acquired a serious gin habit. But in spite of, or because of, all of that, I'm going to hand in.

I know it's not over. And it's far from great (I see a discussion chapter rewrite coming my way at least). But it's done.

What the FUCK do I do with myself now? Its been 10 years of my life (I had 3 full years leave of absence in there). Even when I've been avoiding doing anything (which has been a LOT of the time :D) it's always been taking up head space.

Shit.

Vintage Paw, ebonics, boohoo and 5 others like this.
  15. TikkiB

TikkiB Well-Known Member

Well done though. Just doing an MA over 2 years nearly broke me and I wasn't having to deal with a fraction of the stuff you have. Proper respect to you.

boohoo and aqua like this.
  16. equationgirl

aqua initial elation after submission can progress to a 'shit I have no purpose' slump. Most normal. It's amazing what you can find to fill your time though...

TikkiB and aqua like this.
  17. equationgirl

And your discussion chapter is fine aqua ;)

mango5 likes this.
  18. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

If anyone in London is up for some #shutupandwrite study buddy sessions I'd be pleased to set some up.

19. aqua

Sorry I failed to do this. Sept to now has been so crap with personal stuff, dad stuff, family stuff not to mention work shit. I've basically turned into a total recluse :oops:

20. aqua

Not enough implications stuff and a crap conclusion. Which is kind of fair enough tbh :oops:

21. equationgirl

Can you relate more of the conclusions to what support services could be offered, for example?

22. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

Vintage Paw, boohoo and mango5 like this.
  23. aqua

have tried, its too late now though - bees is giving it one last read then I'm off to bed :cool:
    i

equationgirl likes this.
  24. equationgirl

Hurrah, it's submission day today :)!!

TikkiB and aqua like this.
  25. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Just finished the first draft of my second findings chapter (of three). Rewarding myself by making a pannetone bread and butter pudding.

equationgirl, Hollis and boohoo like this.
  26. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

Now these are my kind of people. Sadly I'm lagging quite some way behind with only 2 undergraduate degrees, 1 MRes, and an abandoned never-finished PhD. If it was possible to keep doing endless degrees I would. I love the process of learning at that level - not too difficult, once you've done one you're well suited to excel at another, and the opportunities for learning some seriously interesting stuff is huge.

27. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  28. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Elephants think I’m cute #brap

IMG_4735.PNG

IMO, it does kinda beg some questions if someone sticks at a specific level. And keeps on and on and on repeating the same kinda qualifications.

I get the enjoyment of taught masters, in particular. But you've got to be very rich to keep on churning those out and, likewise, by the time you hit your third PhD, why are no funders willing to back your ideas? Sounds a bit like a cash cow for unis to milk naive, rich, and / or slightly questionable students.

gawkrodger likes this.
  29. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

completely - especially when, like your man above, they aren't a million miles apart - public admin., public health, financial engineerng, financial analysis etc - I'd be much more impressed if it was a mix of engineering, social sciences, hard sciences etc

30. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

lol. I'm on my third taught masters. At one level, it you're happy so what? At another level, compared to various other "hobbies" or social activities a part-time taught masters isn't necessarily that expensive, for example it's probably cheaper than caining it at a squat party every weekend.

Also to your point I would question what you mean by "slightly questionable students"?

Having said all that, I swear I will not do another.. :p