Peterloo

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by gawkrodger, Jul 24, 2018.

1. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

Trailer out now. Hopes are reasonably high for this

2. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

This appeared on my FB earlier. I'm excited.

3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Anyone seen it?

This review is about right i think
    I learnt a lot and the detail was definitely thorough and educational, particularly good depiction of the different strands and dynamics amongst the reformists, but its slow going with not enough classic story telling drive and thats going to put off wider audiences I'd expect..

A bit i liked to see was that during one worthy but very overly wordy address by a couple of more middle class christian women, other working class women in the audience complain "we don't understand what you're on about", wanting something a bit more concrete, directly relating to their lives and meaningful in terms of action too. Thing is in a way Mike Leigh takes the same path as these Christian lecturers.

Id have liked something a bit less text book and with more guts to it. Peoples hardships weren't visceral enough, and for my tastes the massacre itself wasn't violent enough, with literally no blood shown (probably to help keep the rating at a 12, but still). Its no Thin Red Line (which still was a 15).

On the plus side it wasn't overly sentimentalised and had a good degree of naturalism in showing the way people were - apart from a couple of pantomime villains, but then again, maybe this kind of over the top acting, particularly one of the judges, does have historical basis?

Ironic that it was funded by Amazon. Bit crap that.

4. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Off to see it tomorrow. Will let you know my thoughts...

danny la rouge likes this.
  5. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

I've seen a couple of reviews which have been along the same lines. I think I'll probably still try and see it at some point though.

6. ska invita

its well worth it, i got a lot out of it, but barnstorming rabble rousing it isnt it.

Mike Leigh is a north london theatre man really, to this day,

imposs1904 and neonwilderness like this.
  7. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Saw it yesterday.
    In a word; disappointed.
    Clunky, speechified script, lack of gritty reality of life that drove the demands for Corn law reform, radicals (republicans) portrayed as raving madmen, people looked well(fed) ...difficult, I know to do otherwise, but..interiors looked National Trust, exterior GCIs pretty poor tbh, some of the convos lacked all credibility.
    I wanted to like it...but 2/5 for me.

8. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

I feel the same, it was very clunky and over-long to me. And felt like I was being preached to by someone that had half read EP Thompson. Shame, was looking forward to it. More excited for the Sleaford Mods Invisible Britain film I'm seeing tonight.

Dragnet, neonwilderness and brogdale like this.
  9. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

I saw this when it first came out and watched it again recently. It's a little dated now, but is still be a good watch :thumbs:

Badgers and LynnDoyleCooper like this.
  10. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

Which half??

11. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Well I "enjoyed" that.

I left feeling unsettled. Which is good. I think.

It was incoherent at times. The tone was all over the place. The dialogue generally dull. The film reeked of bitterness. In a good way.

I loved the heavy handed caricatures of the prince, the magistrates etc. No attempt at persuasion. Just "Here's some bastards. I'm taking it as read that you already know they're bastards, so here's some over the top bastards."

There were some memorable take away moments. Some blunt portrayals of the protagonists. Crude and lacking subtlety perhaps. But to the point. The allusions with today were plenty but not in your face.

I liked the relatively unspectacular massacre. The clumsy yet deliberate nature of it.

I was distracted by the familiar faces. Especially Wasted's Morpheus.

It's not a film I'd recommend to people though.

But it resonated with me. Despite the lack of depth in the characters, there was a current of ambiguity or uncertainty about the film's message. Sure, we all know the enemy. But what to do about it?

I think the film is about defeat. Then and now.

12. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Kermode liked it.

13. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

One scene (or pair of scenes) that stand out is the looms.

The thunderous roar when we first see them. Then the silence later in the film when the workers are away at the rally. Followed by the millowner walking bitterly through his deserted yard.

Idris2002 likes this.
  14. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

Sounds like hubby material :thumbs:

15. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Oh god.

Smokeandsteam likes this.
  16. ska invita

Yeah when that first shot of the looms kicks in its really impressive. I immediately thought, i look forward to seeing someone getting their hand cut off and people falling over with exhaustion etc (dont judge me ;)), but no, we got a brooding bearded man working intensely who looked like he was overseeing an artisnal vintage clothing start up in Hebden. Just didn't have the rawness for me.

Heres Kermodes review

...which basically says the final act is so powerful it makes up for possible sluggishness and desire to have so many different voices and angles in the run up. But I didnt find the massacre any where near shocking enough, though clearly some people did, so maybe its a question of taste and sensitivity. It should have brought the audience to tears of rage. Since we know the massacre is going to happen from before the film starts that bit of it needs to pack an almighty punch.

I don't understand, why go for a no blood 12 certificate? Pity the 12 year old dragged along to sit through this.

I still got a lot out of it though.

17. ska invita