Peterloo bicentenary

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by farmerbarleymow, May 3, 2019.

1. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

Thought it worth creating a thread for this, given it is the 200th anniversary this year. Would be useful to add any events that are happening in the city to keep everything in one place.

Firstly, Manchester Art Gallery have an exhibition running from 27 May to 29 September - Get Together and Get Things Done | Manchester Art Gallery

2. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

3. farmerbarleymow

Bit of an own goal really, but at least they're looking at revising the design. Will have to dust down my peterloo t-shirt for the bicentenary next month.

4. farmerbarleymow

Part 2 likes this.
  5. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

6. farmerbarleymow

Got a ticket for the event on Friday, and will pop to Albert Square for the thing on Sunday.

moose likes this.
  7. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

How did it go? Looked good.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  8. farmerbarleymow

It was good fun - rained continuously but who cares - the organisers put on a good show.

Glad I went to the first show at 12:30 as there was the reading of the names of the dead at 13:30 followed by a minutes silence. A weird feeling standing there on the site the cavalry charged 200 years ago.

They showed a brilliant video about protest over the years - annoyingly I can't find it online to download. It was sponsored by the Guardian and Manchester International Festival in case anyone can find it.

The event was well planned - linking the grievances of 1819 with those of today. There are a lot of parallels, e.g. zero hours contracts. :(

The new memorial is good - the top circle has arrows pointing to previous atrocities around the world.

moose likes this.
  9. farmerbarleymow

Off to the always lovely People's History Museum today.

moose likes this.
  10. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

It looks lovely - it's a shame they didn't think about accessibility, causing such an uproar that it's treated like an embarrassing mistake. I'll go and have a look next time I'm in town.