Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peterloo bicentenary

farmerbarleymow

Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull
How did it go? Looked good.
It was good fun - rained continuously but who cares - the organisers put on a good show.

Glad I went to the first show at 12:30 as there was the reading of the names of the dead at 13:30 followed by a minutes silence. A weird feeling standing there on the site the cavalry charged 200 years ago.

They showed a brilliant video about protest over the years - annoyingly I can't find it online to download. It was sponsored by the Guardian and Manchester International Festival in case anyone can find it.

The event was well planned - linking the grievances of 1819 with those of today. There are a lot of parallels, e.g. zero hours contracts. :(

The new memorial is good - the top circle has arrows pointing to previous atrocities around the world.

moose

like some cat from Japan
The new memorial is good - the top circle has arrows pointing to previous atrocities around the world.
It looks lovely - it's a shame they didn't think about accessibility, causing such an uproar that it's treated like an embarrassing mistake. I'll go and have a look next time I'm in town.

handy1

A certain Man U fan ; )
I first read about Peterloo when i was about 14, it was one of main things that got me interested in politics. Could not make Friday so i recreated the walk myself on Saturday and walked from Top Mossley into town. Various marches converged on the Monument and it was a good turnout.