Perseids tonight

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by DotCommunist, Aug 12, 2015.

1. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

3 am or there abouts. I'm staying up to watch them. Tis a clear sky ish here so should be pretty

2hats and Falcon like this.
  2. 2hats

2hats

Any time after midnight and before the first light of sunrise is good (in general for almost any meteor shower) as that's tends to be the most favourable geometry for them ploughing across the local sky (before midnight you are looking out of the rear window of the car, as oppose to out the front windshield facing the oncoming storm, as it were).

Obligatory pretty image of a Perseid against the Milky Way, taken yesterday from Anglesey:
    [​IMG]

RoyReed, Jon-of-arc, Maggot and 14 others like this.
  3. 2hats

2hats

Lovely night for watching them. Just saw several fireballs shoot across the sky whilst sitting out in a dark meadow.

twentythreedom likes this.
  4. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

I saw three in the time it takes to smoke a rollie.

twentythreedom, frogwoman and S☼I like this.
  5. S☼I

S☼I I don't want your poxy mint

Was out taking advantage of the first cloud-free night in ages to have a look through my scope...saw 6 or 7, the ISS and The Ring Nebula. Great hour in the garden

bubblesmcgrath, 2hats, Crispy and 3 others like this.
  6. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

I've seen one, but my view to the NE is blocked and I have buildings all around.

7. frogwoman

frogwoman лягушкая женщина

Saw a few earlier on tonight :cool:

2hats and twentythreedom like this.
  8. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Deckchair is ready out back - didn't see anything last night...

9. machine cat

machine cat nod from the big man as kosher Banned

Just seen two (pennines).

10. spliff

spliff New Member

My view to the NE are blocks of flats lit up like it's christmas. I had a short walkabout just now but there's too much ambient light and cloud cover.
    I think I'll roll a number and go to somewhere darker. You never know, if the cloud shifts it could be good, on the other hand ... .. .:hmm:

11. DotCommunist

saw a few in a cloud clearance while outside barefoot. in the future they will deliberatley stack the space junk halo around us into burny results and the resulting burn ups will be excellent.

twentythreedom and tufty79 like this.
  12. tufty79

tufty79 1979-2015. R.I.P.

Went to the park for an hour with friends, tarp, blankets, and a flask of tea. Saw six or seven - one of them was massive with a huge tail :)

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Bah. overcast here.

14. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Sat on a very dark greek beach and been absolutely spoiled tonight..what a display :)

15. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Not seen a single one of the fuckers-going to bed...

clicker likes this.
  16. DotCommunist

I am only semi-overcast here so I went out to see what I could see and was not dissapointed. I can't do science, I can't do objective. So I did a poem instead

2hats, elmpp and twentythreedom like this.
  17. Signal 11

Signal 11 also programmed for conversational english

We had quite a bit of cloud, but saw about 20 from 9-12. I only got one on a photo. perseid_2015.jpg

bubblesmcgrath, Voley, 2hats and 2 others like this.
  18. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

Dammit I forgot again :oops:

Ah well there's always tomorrow :)

19. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

No Perseids for me either. :( And it's pretty much daylight now. Huh. Unco-operative meteors.

20. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Clear night, lovely view of the Milky Way - saw some perseids but my highlight was an Iridium Flare ! (also another satellite) SW Northumberland, btw.

2hats, CNT36, tufty79 and 1 other person like this.
  21. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Clear night in southern Spain, watched from a hot tub in a very dark, private valley. Saw the mother of all shooting stars, more a Tunguska event than the normal tiny line across the sky :cool:

clicker, 2hats, Quartz and 1 other person like this.
  22. 2hats

2hats

Judging from initial reports it looks like activity this year has been higher than in recent years.

Nice time lapse from an automated low light meteor camera running yesterday (near Dayton, Ohio):

maomao, Signal 11 and frogwoman like this.
  23. 2hats

2hats

From Denmark yesterday:
    [​IMG]

Signal 11, MrSki, frogwoman and 3 others like this.
  24. 2hats

2hats

Perseid meteors are starting to put in an appearance (they are being picked up on various meteor tracking camera networks). Expect them to peak around 11-13 August this year. The southern delta Aquarids shower runs in parallel and you will occasionally see some from that as well.

Also, the Earth has entered a high speed solar wind stream resulting in some beautiful aurorae the last day or so, expected to continue today. The magnetic field is certainly unsettled, so worth keeping an eye on...
    [​IMG]

25. 2hats

2hats

Thought it worth adding here that a G1-class geomagnetic storm has been underway the last 24 hours or so and is still active (planetary index unsettled) so worth looking to northern skies, whilst meteor hunting, if clear... The view from Estonia in the early hours of this morning:
    [​IMG]

Enviro, clicker, Voley and 8 others like this.
  26. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

:cool:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  27. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

Are you sure those weren't blims?

MrSki and Thimble Queen like this.
  28. 2hats

2hats

This year's Perseids are expected (modelled) to be twice as active as usual (that model peak around 11-12 August).
    [​IMG]
    As a bonus - for a short time, just after sunset, you might be able to see all the naked eye planets at once this week as Saturn, Mars, the crescent Moon, Jupiter, Mercury and Venus, line up from low in the south, around to low in the west:
    planetarylineup.png

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Thimble Queen, clicker, MrSki and 4 others like this.
  29. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Just arrived in Greece. Shall park ourselves on a beach somewhere remote and hope it's as good as last year. 11th to 13th seems to be peak activity. Don't be shy perseids.

30. 2hats

2hats

Even better chance of spotting all the visible planets in one go since they will appear higher from there, for a little longer after sunset.

clicker and Thimble Queen like this.