People who rent 1 bed flats in London - how much do you pay?

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Hellsbells, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago I had to look at the possibility of moving back to London, and I was horrified at how far prices have gone up even in the eighteen months since I moved back up to Yorkshire. I don't earn badly, but I'd have struggled to afford anywhere that could accommodate me and my books in an area I might want to live in. It's not going to happen now, though: I've just accepted a job in Hull instead.

I was exceptionally lucky with my old flat in Charlton, though. I took it on at £675 a month in 2006, and was still paying that when I moved out five years later.

boohoo and stuff_it like this.
  2. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

I'm sitting here in Nottingham in my £100 a week two bed, it's double glazed and has parking. No damp, and there is insulation to the point where three hours of heating spread throughout the day keeps it more than habitable despite not being a new building by a long shot.

In London I would have been lucky to get a small room for this much.

3. Roadkill

At risk of sounding horribly smug, I can almost beat that: I'm paying £425 a month for a really nice two-bedroom house.

4. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

Yes but you have to live in Hull. :p

I could probably get a house for not much more but then I'd have to heat it, etc. And live with other people. I'm quite enjoying my privacy now I'm self employed and work from home.

5. Roadkill

It's a terrible hardship having to live in a place I like so much. :( :p

6. TruXta

TruXta tired

I feel fucking lucky paying less for a mortgage on a 3 bed house than we'd pay to rent a 1-bed flat in Brixton.

spanglechick likes this.
  7. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

Stockholm syndrome :(

8. Roadkill

:D

9. bromeosin

bromeosin New Member

Tonnes of my friends are in property guardian places now - super nice and significantly cheaper than private rent! The people I linked tend to be the best at the minute!

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Except they're a scummy organisation exploiting people desperate for housing.

The downside of being a property guardian

11. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Ooh I wonder if that could be spam.

I have some friends who’ve lived in those places - they treat you like shit, in ways that they say are legal but wouldn’t be if only the people they targeted had enough money to challenge them in court. Universally they’ve started off saying “this isn’t too bad” and ended up with “this is fucking awful, I’m getting out as soon as I have the cash”. That was a few years ago too; I expect they’ve got worse as it’s not like the housing situation has improved.

bimble likes this.
  12. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

anti squatters
    [​IMG]