1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who rent 1 bed flats in London - how much do you pay?

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Hellsbells, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

It's not necessary to earn 30k to rent your own place! I know I moan alot on these board about my rent but I only earn about 23k and can just about afford my own place. Depends where you want to live and what you expect from the property tbh.

Belushi likes this.
  2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Do tell us more please! How do you manage it?

3. Hellsbells

It's not impossible! I don't smoke or drink that much or buy many new clothes or pay for public transport (I cycle) and I'm generally careful with money. Not saying it's easy but you really don't need to earn over 30k to live alone in london. You just need to live a certain lifestyle.
    Having said that, with rents rising like they are, in a few years, this may stop being possible :(

Greebo likes this.
  4. Orang Utan

How much rent do you pay?

5. Hellsbells

£900 a month now

6. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

For that same shitty damp and crappily windowed flat?

Greebo likes this.
  7. Hellsbells

:D
    erm, yeah.
    But to be fair, despite the damp and the crappy windows & my constant moaning & ongoing issues with the letting agency from hell, it is actually a very nice flat in a very nice area.

5t3IIa likes this.
  8. Orang Utan

Jesus :(
    I may have to swallow my pride and share again. Fuck.

9. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

We pay just under £1000 a month for a large one-bed (garden, cellar, damp, freezing cold) flat in a not-particularly-great-but-ok-really area of SW16.
    I'm sure that a mortgage, if we were able to get one, would cost less than that. :(

10. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Studio flat might be the way to go if you can find a decent one.

Greebo likes this.
  11. Belushi

I live in a lovely shared ownership flat next to a tube station; rent, mortgage and service charge come to £750 a month.

cesare and 5t3IIa like this.
  12. Hellsbells

not necessarily. i get a garden for £900 a month, plus seperate living room & kitchen, large bathroom etc. You must be able to get smaller places at lower prices. Depends where you want to live though. It's expensive where I live.

Greebo likes this.
  13. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

There is also the issue that new renters always pay at least market rates, whereas long term renters don't automatically have that. I pay basically £1000 for a decent sized one bed but that is because the rent has only gone up once since I've been there. If I left and it went on the market and someone else moved in I guarantee they'd be charged at least £1200.

plurker and Greebo like this.
  14. Orang Utan

There are also robbing cunting letting agent fees to think of. The situation is dire. I think I might end up hanging myself if I get a studio but there may be no option.

15. Belushi

Studios are okay if you get a decent one; there are some terrible ones out there though.

Greebo likes this.
  16. Orang Utan

It makes me so angry. London is full of empty luxury flats that are owned by people who never use them. We need to take them off them.

17. FridgeMagnet

Yeah - nowadays it's fees for "checks", fees for contracts, fees every time you renew, and they charge both tenant and landlord. Because they can. The cunts.

Greebo and Orang Utan like this.
  18. Orang Utan

They are not allowed to do this in Scotland.
    We need rent control at the very least. If big cities in the US can manage it, why can't we?

Greebo likes this.
  19. FridgeMagnet

In other countries there are things like increasing tax rates the longer property remains unoccupied, too. But all the main parties here are currently devoted to enriching property investors and consequently fucking over everyone else.

Greebo likes this.
  20. Orang Utan

Where is it going to end though? It can't continue like this! How can a big city function if it is unaffordable for its workers?

5t3IIa likes this.
  21. Orang Utan

How do I get onto this?

22. Belushi

You need to save enough to have a deposit for the share you're buying, and be earning over a certain amount.

https://www.sharetobuy.com/firststeps

23. Orang Utan

Fuck, I need to rob a bank

5t3IIa likes this.
  24. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

£240 a month for a 2 bed flat in South Hill Park NW3, overlooking the Heath. 1985 though.

25. Edward Kelly

Edward Kelly Well-Known Member

I bought one that was in a good spot close to everything years ago for less than 30 grand (but was in a block where every second person was a drug addict pisshead or prostitute, fitted in nicely) had free hot water 'cause of a boiler. for a single bloke where all you need is a bathroom, kitchen and bed was ok and a good way to save.
    Look around... it might be better than rent and at the end of the day you can sell and move up. worked for me anyway. (and you don't have to put up with landlords).

26. zenie

zenie >^^<

Where do you live?

Careful now....this is fighting talk.

Migrants are happy to commute. If you can't get a better paid job then you deserve to live back in the ghettos with the other proles.

What century was this? :D

5t3IIa likes this.
  27. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

My mum's finally made noises about selling her second home... which means a lump sum-ish deposit for me and a shared ownership place. THANK THE FUCKING LORD. I'm so lucky :(

28. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

The absolute minimum you'd pay to buy anywhere in London now is about £100k, and you'd need to save up a £10k deposit. And then pay to travel in from Dagenham every day.

Greebo likes this.
  29. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

These prices are insane! Last time I was living in London (2008? So not that long ago) we rented a 2 bed flat for £800 a month. It was a really nice flat too.

Greebo likes this.
  30. zenie

zenie >^^<

Whereabouts?