1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who rent 1 bed flats in London - how much do you pay?

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Hellsbells, Oct 30, 2013.

1. TruXta

TruXta tired

Jacket, cheese, then guitar, otherwise it all goes wrong.
    Greebo, tufty79, fogbat and 3 others like this.
  2. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

When i was living in leeds, 15 years ago, it was £90 a week for a 3 bedroom flat. dunno how you lot afford to live somewhere totally different at a totally different time for a different amount.
  3. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Judging by this thread I seem to be doing well. I have a flat in zone 4 (Richmond) and pay just over a grand plus bills pcm, we've got a private garden but its unfurnished mind not that that seems to make much difference to the cost. I'm so glad we took out a 3 year contract when we took the flat, the flat above us which is smaller and does not have access to the garden has just been rented for £1250. So that's basically an increase of over 20% in 2.5 years.
    Greebo likes this.
  4. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

wow - that's amazing value for Richmond
  5. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Our grotty one bed flat with no natural daylight in herne hill (extremely lovely, zone 3, great links without having tube) was £825 including bills when we moved out last year. It hadnt gone up since 2007. The landlord tarted it up a bit and put it back on for something like £1250? £1400? Monkeygrinder's Organ would know...

Btw, now we pay around £1100 mortgage on a whole 3 bedroom house about 2 miles down the road in Sydenham hill.

Private renting is a horrible situation and I count our many blessings we've been so lucky to get out when we did.

Though not as lucky as those fuckers who bought before the boom. Obviously.
    Greebo likes this.
  6. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

£1450 iirc. It went in a few days as well.
  7. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

That's shocking. Everyone's going to have start moving out of London at this rate, if both renting and buying have become so impossible and riddiculous.
    Greebo likes this.
  8. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

It is good value but the thing is Richmond isnt much more expensive then the surrounding areas. We found this when we thought we'd be better off living in Brentford, Acton or Ealing however the reality is that there isnt much difference in cost, renting is expensive everywhere in London.
  9. zenie

zenie >^^<

It's manageable if you're in a couple, but if you're on your own you end up living in shared houses, although I seem to end up living above pubs :hmm: :D pay 600 for a big room incl bills SW2.
    Greebo likes this.
  10. Kidda

Kidda Z is for stripey oss

Woah ((m'cockney sparra's))

Some of the rents on this thread are eye watering.

£350-£500pcm is what you'd normally expect to pay for a one bed place up here in Birmingham.
    When I moved back to Brum I rented a 3 bed house with garden for £535 (increasing to £550 after year one)

I'm in awe that any of you are able to have a life outside of paying your rent.
    Riklet, Greebo, _angel_ and 5 others like this.
  11. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

Unless I suddenly start earning 30k+, I can't imagine being able to rent my own place in London.
    Greebo and Metal Malcolm like this.
  12. sss

sss New Member

Has anybody tried to negotiate the prices* how does that go?
  13. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

Never tried.

Imagine it's like this

Greebo, tufty79, thriller and 2 others like this.
  14. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

Some of you pay more in rent than we have to live on each month!!!
  15. Wookey

Wookey Playful as a pussy cat

This thread wipes out any thought of me moving to that London any time soon. :(
  16. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

My eyes are watering
  17. Metal Malcolm

Metal Malcolm ODT resident emo

To be fair, when I moved from Notts to London (and from temping to a permanent job), my take home pay practically doubled. It's just that the price of almost everything else did too :(
    Greebo likes this.
  18. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

There's such a shortage of housing there's no point.
    Greebo likes this.
  19. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Housing in London has always been more expensive than the rest of the UK but its gone mental in recent years.
  20. its still only £100 a week for a 3 bed flat in a "student" area of newcastle.
  21. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

Which is one reason why "big" London salaries are often a lot smaller in practice than they'd be in other parts of the country.
    Mr Smin, Greebo and colacubes like this.
  22. thriller

thriller Last of the world's good men Banned

I know someone paying £800 pcm (excluding bills) for a flat without a bedroom in tooting. Nuts. It has a kitchen, but the toilet is in the kitchen area. Yuck. Can you imagine going for a shit and then opening the door and all the smell goes into the kitchen. :D

It's near the underground station and has a very tiny back garden. But £800 excluding bills is way too much.
    Greebo likes this.
  23. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

If I get a permanent job soon (will find out next weekish), I will only be on 22K. I have no idea how I am going to be able to afford a one bed flat. I can't continue to live on a sofa in my mate's one bed. In fact, I'm not going to think about it right now. Lalalalalalalalalalala
    thriller likes this.
  24. tufty79

tufty79 1979-2015. R.I.P.

yup, I don't think i'll ever be able to afford to move back.
  25. Belushi

You might get something (relatively!) cheap near your workplace?
    Greebo likes this.
  26. Orang Utan

Do I want to live there though?!?
  27. tufty79

tufty79 1979-2015. R.I.P.

with a donkeygoathorsebeast as a neighbour? You'd be a fool not to :D
    Orang Utan and Belushi like this.
  28. Belushi

No, but tbf most people in London don't get to live where they really want :D
    Greebo and Orang Utan like this.
  29. Orang Utan

True. Damn ideals! I need want to be about ten miles away from work so I stay fit (and sane tbh). Also want to be able to roll around on a pub floor without fear of being discovered by a parent or a pupil!
  30. zenie

zenie >^^<

Well, you'll just have to try harder, and work lobger hours won't you? Get a 2nd job if you're not worthy of a promotion.

/Tory capitalist

Sadly this is a reality for a lot of people...myself included.

I think it is ALWAYS worth trying to negotiate rent, there is no harm in asking. :)
    Greebo likes this.