1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People of SE London, a little help?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by ferdinandg1, Jun 12, 2017.

1. ferdinandg1

ferdinandg1 New Member

I'm writing an article about the history of South-East London and the wave of gentrification that's happened in some areas, happening in others and looks like it's going to happen in the rest, and looking to film some interviews with businesses and local people to go along with it. Anyone know of any local business owners I can interview? Or alternatively, any locals happy for me to come interview them? (You don't have to be filmed if you don't want to be). I'm looking for a mix of all backgrounds, all ages, people who have been here all their lives, people who moved in last week, doesn't bother me. If you've got something to say I want to hear it. Cheers in advance!

2. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

3. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

4. ferdinandg1

ferdinandg1 New Member

Signed up to both, cheers

5. There are alot of institutionalised arseholes on the EDF but also some intelligent and decent ones - I am sure someone will be able to assist if you plug away and manage to overcome the suspicious default position of many of the inmates.

Lots of businesses have been around for decades, as have many of the residents - could be useful if you can get some decent feedback

6. ferdinandg1

ferdinandg1 New Member

Got a reply from a guy on the SE1 forum who seems incredibly suspicious of my motives... weird. I also tried to sign up to South East Central but it won't let me :(

7. Some of these local fora are modern fiefdoms and the inmates view anything not familiar with utter suspicion. If you get no luck on the forums, then speak directly to the Likes of the Peckham society and the local libraries should be able to point you in the direction of locals with an interest in these things. you might do better on foot and speaking to people actually - Good luck

8. mod

mod A modernist

Where's the article to be published? Where's the filmed interviews to be shown? What are you motives? Not asking out of suspicion. More curiosity.

I currently reside in New Cross but have also lived in East Duwlich (combined for the last 12 years) and spent the first 12 years of my life in Deptford. Could possibly help or introduce you to people who are willing to help if you give a little more info about your project.

cheers

9. ferdinandg1

ferdinandg1 New Member

Perfect. I'm starting a blog, going to publish it on there, but it's also for A Level English coursework- I'm making the whole thing into an article and accompanying film. it's something I've wanted to do for a while

10. sealion

If you read the thread on the se1 forum about the heygate estate you should get some info.

11. ferdinandg1

ferdinandg1 New Member

Is it a recent one?

12. sealion

13. sealion

14. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Great to see my old neighbour and friend doing the right thing and showing solidarity.

Using our film Estate which details our clusterfuck experiences of re-generation as residents of Haggerston and Kingsland Estates to help support the legal fund for Aylesbury residents. :thumbs:

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I get about five requests every week to be interviewed about gentrification. Trouble is I've (a) said all there is for me to say about the topic already and (b) I'm a cheerful chap but the topic of gentrification is so relentlessly grim and fun-free that I'm fed up appearing as a whining grumpy git. So now I just point them to Brixton Buzz, this forum and my Ted Talk.