Penge/Bromley - what are they like?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by dreamwatch, Jan 19, 2017.

1. dreamwatch

dreamwatch New Member

Hubby and I have been given notice and need to start looking for a new home. We're currently in Streatham. I grew up here but all my friends and family have moved out of London so we have no ties to the area.

I currently live quite close to the High Road and the sound of sirens, people yelling in the street and noise of people getting in their cars after a late show at the Odeon just make me want to run to the hills. We've both got work mates telling us that Bromley and Penge are quieter and a bit calmer - are they selling us a pup? We can't really afford to move out past zone 4 (fares) and we need to stay east rather than west as my elderly parents are in Suffolk. We did look at North and East London but I just can't do it! :eek:

Any thoughts on South East London are welcome. :thumbs:

2. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

If you need to use the train frequently i would avoid moving to an area covered by southern trains. Long running industrial action has made an already terrible service worse.

3. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Penge Over Bromley for me - its not glam though- have you had a wander around the two 'burghs and got a feel for them ?

4. TruXta

TruXta tired

Penge is great for transport. Trains to Victoria, London Bridge, East London. Southeastern all the way. Plus trams to East Croydon for southbound connections.

boohoo, Plumdaff and sealion like this.
  5. sealion

Is Penge west covered by southern ?

6. TruXta

TruXta tired

Yeah. Also the Overground

7. discobastard

discobastard _______\+/_______

Southern will get fixed eventually. I wouldn't have thought it's a reason not to move somewhere. When it works it's very good.

bromley likes this.
  8. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

Many of my 'still in London' mates are now in Penge, Anerley, Sydenham way. I like it. It's certainly not (yet) glam, no, but it's leafy, affordable (in a relative to London way) there's a fair amount of interesting local stuff to do and it's really quick into central London.

Maggot and dreamwatch like this.
  9. sealion

People are losing there jobs and are moving home because of the issues with southern. It is awful certainly if you live outside london. It has been shit for a year now with no end in sight.

10. TruXta

TruXta tired

I don't know Bromley that well, but as soon as I get to Beckenham it starts feeling less like London and more like Kent.

11. dreamwatch

dreamwatch New Member

Thanks all!

Sea Lion - we will be travelling by train, and I had considered the debacle that is Southern. However another slight draw was buses to Crystal Palace as there is bus from there that takes me nearly all the way to work. While I wouldn't want to do it daily, it's nice to have a back up. (one of the better things about Streatham)

not-bono-ever (couldn't agree more) - going for a look this Saturday. I don't mind a lack of glamour, though a half decent coffee shop would be nice. I just want peace, a garden, and somwehere safe to live. :)

TruXta - another draw. Southern are poo, but it's nice to know there are other options when they go down and we don't end up stranded.

Thank you all, this is very helpful. :)

sealion likes this.
  12. TruXta

TruXta tired

Antic, the pub chain, are planning to open a café/restaurant on Penge high street in the summer. They're already running a decent pub here. Obviously crystal palace has plenty of that sort.

dreamwatch likes this.
  13. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

• Characters from Brentford refer to Penge as a far-flung outpost of civilisation and often say that they 'hear it's very nice, but I've never been there myself'. On one occasion the anti-heroes Pooley and Omally took so long to walk home from Penge that they grew beards on the way. Their friend Professor Slocombe claims that Penge was the true birthplace of the Virgin Mary (he also claims that Chiswick is the original Babylon).

14. discobastard

Agreed but the issues are more with the Brighton and other lines. Bromley and Penge aren't the places where people are losing their jobs. And they are both very well served by other lines in.

That's not to belittle the impact that Southern is having, but it's far less severe there, as it is in Tulse Hill where I am. And it will get fixed eventually because it is coming to a head.

sealion likes this.
  15. sealion

Glad to hear that and yes there is always an alternative option with other operators on the route. There were positive talks yesterday with a promise of the normal timetable resuming next Tuesday. Sadly that is no longer seems the case.:mad:

RMT announce extension to strike next week on Southern Railway

16. discobastard

dreamwatch Don't forget the Unico Gelato Cafe in Bromley which is the best ice cream outside of Italy (you can read about it in the Bromley thread --->)

dreamwatch likes this.
  17. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

The only thing to do in Bromley is drink vodka

18. Sea Star

Sea Star transphobes and transphobe enablers are scum

As suburbs go, Bromley's not bad. But as David Bowie and Hanif Kureishi have observed, you do want to get out of there quickly.

~ Tibor Fischer

discobastard likes this.
  19. discobastard

Pay attention man.

FTFY

Maggot likes this.
  20. TruXta

TruXta tired

That reminds me that there's a cracking Sicilian pizza place in Penge, and another pretty good Italian restaurant. And a new Turkish place just opened that's getting very good reviews from locals. We're still lacking a bit on the cafe front, unless you're a fan of cheap and cheerful greasy spoons type places, but it's definitely improving.

Also a new pub/bistro is opening in the old Alexandra pub up towards Penge East sometime in spring I believe.

dreamwatch likes this.
  21. Sea Star

I've lived in Bromley for about 20 years now. You'd think if there was anything good about Bromley I'd know (I can't eat ice cream), but there isn't really.. It's mostly quiet. You can get into the country side in a few minutes. That's about it.

boohoo, kenny g and ska invita like this.
  22. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

I like them both. Penge is very underrated in my opinion. Lots of big Victorian houses with large gardens in both. Both are a little on the dull side though unless you like parks.

23. Sea Star

even the parks are dull.

bromley likes this.
  24. boohoo

boohoo No.

I like the charity shops in Penge. the area use to be part of Battersea. lidl and Turkisk food shop are good.

25. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

I live in upper Sydenham, which is bit nowhere, really: just lots of residential, but it's quiet and comparatively cheap, and we've two different train lines into town plus the ginger line connecting all points east. Useful buses.

I mean honestly? I mostly drive, but it's not bad at all for transport. I'd rather live here than Streatham.

sealion likes this.
  26. TruXta

TruXta tired

Crystal Palace Park is not dull as parks go.

sealion, hash tag and mao like this.
  27. TruXta

TruXta tired

I prefer the Aldi ;), but yes, Penge Food Centre is a great place to get stuff other supermarkets rarely sell.

boohoo likes this.
  28. Sea Star

How much of that is in Bromley though? I live the other side of Bromley and all the parks near me are very dull.

29. TruXta

TruXta tired

All of it.

30. Sea Star

All the parks I can get to are crap.

I wasnt saying crystal palace was dull because I didn't realise it was in Bromley.

I live almost as far away from crystal palace as you can and still be in Bromley so I haven't been there for years. I lived closer to it when I was in Lambeth.