Penarth town, pier, promenade and more - photos & chat

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by editor, Aug 31, 2009.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

I'm researching a feature about Penarth now and came across this. I never knew that Penarth had been such a hotspot for bovver!

2. editor

editor hiraethified

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  3. Voley

Voley Ramoner

I like piers, too. That looks like a particularly nice one. They've got a bygone age sort of feel to them that appeals to me for some reason.

4. Voley

Voley Ramoner

That car park's awesome, btw. Who the hell builds one of them on a beach! :D

5. Endeavour

Endeavour -- --- .-. ... .

What a glorious deco building. :)

(suddenly I'm off digging out old Man albums)

6. Endeavour

Endeavour -- --- .-. ... .

[​IMG]
    tres bizzaro

7. Voley

Voley Ramoner

We've got a few beauties like that down here in lovely scenic Cornwall, too. 60's planners were a rare breed.

8. editor

editor hiraethified

Thank fuck it's gone. No one liked it and it never even made much money.

9. editor

editor hiraethified

Greebo likes this.
  10. poisondwarf

poisondwarf I have a chance...and it is fat.

Fantastic news.

11. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

12. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

As featured in Gavin and Stacey - Penarth used to have the tale that the seagulls used to fly upside down, as not to shit on the "superior" natives.

Been there , nice feature , good its getting a boost :)

Greebo likes this.
  13. editor

editor hiraethified

14. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

We always seem to stick around Cardiff when we head in this direction. But those pix make me want to make my first ever trip to Penarth ...

15. rhod

rhod Mickey Mozart

Arrive early if you want to find somewhere to park nearby! The Fig Tree does some nice nosh at a reasonable price, too.

Try to ignore the building site that blights the whole seafront. To the eternal shame of the local council, it's been like that for YEARS, and will probably remain so for YEARS to come, as they've just extended the planning application until 2018!

Such a shame, as the pier looks like it will be top-notch.

editor likes this.
  16. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

editor and Duncan2 like this.
  17. editor

editor hiraethified

18. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

The logo I created for The Penarth Soul Club

[​IMG]

weltweit and shambler like this.
  19. shambler

shambler Well-Known Member

Non vegetarian P-town visitors might be interested in a baguette from David Lush butchers... Stuff of legend

ginger_syn likes this.
  20. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree All Cretans are liars, Epiminides (Cretan)

Semantics.

I love Cardiff and Penarth but wonder about all this talk of 'seafront'. It's all a bit rivery by there.
    [​IMG]

Where do you draw the line?

21. shambler

shambler Well-Known Member

Salt water innit. And way more seasidey than Bristol, which is miles from the stuff. Need to rename to the Cardiff channel, IMO ;)

kalidarkone, editor and JuanTwoThree like this.
  22. JuanTwoThree

The Thames is salty up to Teddington. It's not that clear cut.

23. editor

editor hiraethified

Have you been to Penarth? If it feels and looks like a seaside town, then that's what it is.

24. JuanTwoThree

That's probably the best way to look at it.

25. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

The Thames is tidal to Teddington, not salt water though

26. JuanTwoThree

You're right, but it's 'brackish' a far way up, though not nearly as far as I exaggerated:

Wiki "The River Thames flowing through London is a classic river estuary. The town of Teddington a few miles west of London marks the boundary between the tidal and non-tidal parts of the Thames, although it is still considered a freshwater river about as far east as Battersea insofar as the average salinity is very low and the fish fauna consists predominantly of freshwater species such as roach, dace, carp, perch, and pike. The Thames Estuary becomes brackish between Battersea and Gravesend, and the diversity of freshwater fish species present is smaller, primarily roach and dace; euryhaline marine species such as flounder, European seabass, mullet, and smelt become much more common. Further east, the salinity increases and the freshwater fish species are completely replaced by euryhaline marine ones, until the river reaches Gravesend, at which point conditions become fully marine and the fish fauna resembles that of the adjacent North Sea"

But editor is basically right about Penarth. You're on the coast there and not on a river-bank. Though I do think it's getting a bit river-like by then and across at Weston. The old Severn Bridge definitely crosses an estuary, not sure what the new one does. There must be somewhere where it stops feeling like an arm of the sea, but I couldn't say where.