1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peckham news, rumours and general chat

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by not-bono-ever, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

London Calling: Peckham

2 July 2012 Last updated at 00:38 Help
    As part of the London Calling season, BBC World Service has been discovering some of the quirkier areas of the Olympic city.
    In this fourth episode, Faranak Amidi from BBC Persian visits Peckham - one of the most cosmopolitan areas in the city which still manages to retain a traditional pie and mash shop and local Pearly King.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-18552441

Greebo and dynamicbaddog like this.
  2. I went to Franks for the first time this week - its rather good - anyone else been this year ?

3. Onket

Is that the car park thing?

4. yup

+ points : Meantime beer, wonderful views, benches, the toilets
    - points : rather a large contingient of the fixie set, The piss stinking stairways, no lifts, The toilets

5. Onket

No lifts? I won't be going up there with my daughter, then.

6. Onket

7. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

8. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

What is the Red Cow pub like? Went past it today and it looked intriguing :hmm:

9. Onket

I lived not far from there but used to go to the Bun House, Greyhound and sometimes the Wetherspoon as they were generally in the direction I would be going.

10. is that the "modern"one under the block on Queens road ?

11. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

So it looks like Burger Bear have taken over the kitchen at The Old Nun's Head for the next 3 weeks. I've never been to this pub, but I definitely want to try their burgers whilst they are there. The pub tweeted this pic on Tue.

Anyone been?

12. its a decent pub- not as good as the Gowlett for food ( as long as you like pizzas).in fasct, the owners of the gowlett used to have the nuns heed as well

13. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

Had a grizzly burger today, it was really good. Definitely going back for another burger before the takeover ends on September 5th.

[​IMG]

14. han

han brixton hill hobbit

I used to go to Frank's when it started a few years back. But from what I hear, nowadays it's hideous - overcrowded, queues to get in etc. Some things just lose their charm when they end up in Time Out, sadly.

15. tbtommyb

tbtommyb Well-Known Member

once you've had a look at the nice view there isn't a lot to keep you.

16. Onket

I miss Peckham :(

17. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

will be nippin down for a bit of shop in a few mins
    then back to the Ivyhouse for a swifty, then home to make roasty din-dins
    Food in the Ivy good, but like to make sunday roasty meself
    Used to have sunday roasty dins at the white horse 20 odd years ago, along with all the toothless pensioners

18. Onket

Used to sit outside the front of the White Horse and have a pint while my daughter kipped in her pram.

hipipol and not-bono-ever like this.
  19. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

where are you now then?

20. Onket

South Coast.

21. pootle

pootle little moran

The White Horse is my local now! And I LOVE the Sunday roast - slowly working my way through all the options. Cracking pint of Guinness too.

Onket likes this.
  22. not only have payless rebranded as the village grocer or whatever, but they have dumped the plastic bowls of veg on the outside display for veg in wooden boxes- they have alos expanded their beer rang to a stunning level - with proper Weissbier and the usual hipster favourite Brewdog. Peckham is indeed changing

23. insterts Onket still misses Peckham comment

24. Onket

Where's this Payless?

25. oops. costcutter on the bellend road

26. tbtommyb

tbtommyb Well-Known Member

yeah it was payless. I guess they felt threatened by the 'General Store' next door.

27. Onket

Bellenden Rd isn't proper Peckham. Was worried you were talking about the one on the High Street for a minute.

28. pootle

pootle little moran

I've spotted this re-branding. If Sam's starts doing artisan grilled meats and the greasy spoon starts offering sourdough bread, abandon all hope for Bellend Road!

oryx, fogbat and han like this.
  29. pootle

pootle little moran

Was in Sam's last night and see that a trendy looking (all minimal paint job and seating an' that) restaurant had opened next door or is about to open. Italian by all accounts.
    Think I'll be sticking to Il Gardinio by Peckham Rye station tbh!

30. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

The bastards have been hammering and drilling at all hours for weeks :mad: