Peckham news, rumours and general chat

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by not-bono-ever, Jul 2, 2010.

1. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

Never quite sure where I fit in with stuff like that. I moved here in 2008 because it was one of the only places I could afford, even as'young professionals' or whatever, and honestly because we liked Bar Story. We're still priced out, still renting, but were clearly part of that wave that caused the increases in price, and go to a lot of the places described. Unlikely to be featured in a Guardian article though.

2. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

thats a good a reason as anything tbf

3. iamwithnail

I see Paul's Custom Bikes is shutting down, he was putting the signs up this morning. :(

4. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

@Wefail artwork as seen from bus #12:

[​IMG]

5. peckhamryefc

peckhamryefc New Member

Sunday Morning Football

We are a bunch of guys who play football on Peckham Rye Park (SE15 0NR) every Sunday morning. We are pretty organised with goals and bibs. Typically we can have games ranging from 5-a-side to 11-a-side depending on turnout on the day.

We've recently had a drop in numbers and are looking for guys interested in playing regularly every week. We are competitive, yet have a laugh, and ideally you should have some experience as well as being prepared with your own kit, boots, shinguards etc.

If interested, then please email peckhamryefc@gmail.com for details.

Thanks.

6. editor

editor Walking along the lonely street of dreams

7. not-bono-ever

8. not-bono-ever

Nae Pasaran!

on tomorrow in Nunhead. i will be there

9. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

Go to bed you dick head

10. editor

11. editor

12. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

editor likes this.
  13. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Does anybody know why Ghostnotes is closing?
    I'm quite sad about this as I've had some especially good nights there :(

14. editor

That's an impressive list of artists.

15. ShiftyBagLady

It's fucking amazing. A real hotbed of creativity, good vibes and community. All the gigs I went to there were bloody good. I'm gutted, really.

editor likes this.
  16. ShiftyBagLady

Actually editor, you'd really like it because you get to watch trains flashing past behind the performers :thumbs:

editor likes this.
  17. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

i lasted about 3 minutes in the Levels. Not for me

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    editor likes this.
  18. ShiftyBagLady

Why is that then?
    I mean, I disliked a fair bit about it (breezy, not very accessible, poor lighting, smoking area all the way down the stairs) but I only went for the gigs and they were worth hanging around for

19. ska invita

whole thing is way too cool and "rooftop dwelling cocktail slurpin" for me...its an impressive thing to do to a disused car park and im glad its not yuppie flats but i think i pretty much hate peckham now :( maybe its me and im being a snob or selfrighteous i dont know but i bumped into so many idiots last time i was out there its left me feeling quite angry...

littleseb and editor like this.
  20. editor

Although there's some good stuff going on there, I'm not really a fan of the Levels. Too Pop Brixton/pop-up/on-trend for my tastes.

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  21. ShiftyBagLady

Yeah, I know, I get it.
    I was lured in by an insanely cheap ticket to see one of my favourite musicians and another great night I wanted to support.
    Ah well, maybe I'm one of them after all :hmm:

22. editor

Oh, I'd go too. I just wouldn't hang about before/after!

23. jimbarkanoodle

I went to a bar in the levels recently, i think it was called "near and far", as i noticed they do a good happy hour. All the beers were craft beer nonsense of course, but at 50% off made them an acceptable price.

The place was empty yet the bar staffed by 3 bearded dickheads who ignored me for 10 minutes whilst they discussed their viewing of a warehouse conversion in Homerton/Haggertson, and how cool it was.

This has been enough to put me off the place as a whole, as it seemed like a probable accurate reflection of all the bars and wanky food stalls in there.

editor likes this.
  24. iamwithnail

Who's behind Peckham Market, the new development at the front of the Bussey Building? Apparently incorporates a new live music venue, has co-working space and some other bits in it. Their website and domain name aren't giving anything away.

25. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

26. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

Capitalist investors. Hth. ;)

27. iamwithnail

I'd got that far... :)

Rutita1 likes this.
  28. ska invita

Curious why the music venue closed. I hear that the council is on the case to try and shut bussey with every licensing trick in the book

29. jimbarkanoodle

Thats a shame, even though i very rarely go to the Bussey Building, its not a bad place. Guessing developers want hold of it?

30. ska invita

Must be something like that ... But take what I said as pub chat