1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peckham Levels: Pop Brixton team takes over Peckham's iconic multi-story car park

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

I think it looks great

2. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Looks like a Truman Brewery / spitalfields type operation that will make Pop Brixton seem tiny in comparison. Peckham will become fully fledged tourist destination.

3. Ol Nick

Ol Nick beer in Brixton

Where am I going to park?

4. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

So do I, but how much of this proposal do you expect to survive through to the finished thing?

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't need to remind anyone of what happened at Pop Brixton where the final, Collective-partnered version was considerably different/slightly different/absolutely identical to the original proposals.

6. Lucy Fur

Precisely my point, on paper whats not to like about this scheme, plenty of facilities for artists, musicians, photographers local entrepeneurs to have acess to studios, editing suites, recording facilities. So how's that all going to fund itself. It wont, and I suspect the finished result of this will be a long way from these proposals.

editor likes this.
  7. teuchter

They'll come up with something out of the blue like sticking a load of food and drink outlets on levels 5 and 6 to bring in the cash. And they'll not even use the same wallpaper as in that drawing. But local commentators will hold them to account.

alcopop likes this.
  8. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

[​IMG]

elmpp and snowy_again like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Still, as long as there's lots of trendy foodie places for grazing tourists with plenty of disposable income, what's not to like, eh?

10. Lucy Fur

How very dare us, what a fucking liberty eh. You're right, I hang my head in shame, obviously they should be alowed to do what ever they like.

editor likes this.
  11. elmpp

elmpp Well-Known Member

And the comparisons made were laughably illogical / fairly sound / well considered

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't know what's the matter with us all. How dare we question what's going on in our area and try to hold people to account over self styled community projects!

Lucy Fur likes this.
  13. teuchter

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 15.44.09.jpg

I'm screenshotting the image literally showing what they have promised the community.

So they can be held to account.

Alright so they've not promised a spade and fork - but if there's no vintage Rolls on level 3 when this thing is done, I'm going to kick off.

T & P likes this.
  14. 299 old timer

299 old timer Well-Known Member

I like the greenhouse rooftop, should be ideal for growing aubergines.

15. Lucy Fur

Excellent, well done you, you've clearly grasped and embraced the causes for concern over Pop, I've no doubt any future contribution from you in regards to Levels will prove to be equaly incisive.

editor likes this.
  16. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I see they're released the early mock ups of the Peckham scheme. :D

Gramsci likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Vice aren't feeling the love:

If We Don't Save Bussey Building, Peckham Is Fucked | VICE | United Kingdom

Lucy Fur and Belushi like this.
  19. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

Well it's on the East London line right? I'm sure the Dalston Massiiiiiiive will be paying a visit ;)

20. lindars1993

lindars1993 New Member

I'm a 3rd year BA Geography student and I'm doing a project on gentrification in Peckham, with a particular focus on the contestation over the development of the car park. As residents and people with a strong interest in the area I was hoping to gauge what you would consider the main problems are going to be after the council chose the Peckham Levels proposal , and why the Bold Tendencies artists studios may have been a better choice.
    Or, alternatively, were neither of the options the right way forward? Is there any other uses for the car park that weren't considered that may have been more beneficial for the surrounding area

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's the kind of thing Peckham folks can look forward to:
    About us

ska invita likes this.
  23. ach. Whilst some people are waist deep in existing new food and drink experiences in an ironic iconic building, the foodbank up the road is having to process more and more punters every week.And every sunday morning, the residents still have to wade through vomit, smashed bottles, nitrous detritus and blowing piles of fast food wrapping shit left in the wake of the beared shit as they catch the first range train line home . Even McDonalds have applied for an all nighter licence IIRC to serve to pissed up arriviste vermin. I know Peckham has been poor for a long time now , but it was never as dirty or stinky as it is now. There isn't much trickle down of the £££ that is being spent on weekends that I can see.

wurlycurly, ViolentPanda and Gramsci like this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Opens 8th December

Peckham Levels to open in the multi-story car park on 8th December

The 'team' guff on their website is a bit toe-curling:

About Us

25. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

plex gets saved....for now....which is a plus

editor and Gramsci like this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I went along to the pre-launch thingy today. It's not my kind of thing. I'll post pics later.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

28. Borp

Borp remember

<grump>
    If property prices weren't ludicrous and generally people weren't getting screwed over, that place might have some interest to me. As it is, it's just depressing.
    </grump>

phillm, Gramsci and sealion like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm just completely bored with the same concept and formula being used again and again. Container Park/Car Park/Warehouse + expensive street food + expensive drink + clever marketing + art = new cool in-flight magazine-ready destination for narrow demographic.

sw16er, phillm, Gramsci and 1 other person like this.
  30. Borp

Borp remember

Yup. It's like a franchise.

sw16er, editor, Gramsci and 1 other person like this.